“compromised password, data leak” [NOT LV]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm

I just tried to log in to LibriVox. I have my LV password stored on my phone (Apple has this thing where you can save passwords to sign in faster, and since Apple is famous for protecting users’ info, I thought it would be fine.) When I tried to log in right now, Apple sent me a notification that said that this password had appeared in a data leak, which made the password compromised and that I should change it immediately. I deleted all my saved passwords on my phone and changed my LibriVox password too- but my question is, is this an Apple data leak or a LV data leak? This has never happened before and I’m not quite sure what to do.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 10th, 2020, 5:56 pm

We don't know of any such leak on our end.

I found this site: https://macreports.com/this-password-has-appeared-in-a-data-leak-security-recommendations-on-iphone/ which says this:
Password that has Appeared in a Data Leak

You definitely need to change the passwords that have appeared in a data leak. If you see this message, your user ID and password have been compromised. This means that someone can use this information to gain access to your account.

You may be wondering how Apple finds out about these data leaks and knows that your info was involved. There are databases of user ID / password combinations that have been stolen from businesses and websites.

You can check if your passwords have been compromised on haveibeenpwned.com. This site collects information about data breaches. You can see which companies/websites have had data breaches, check your own passwords and set up notifications about future compromises to your accounts.
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 10th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Thanks, Tricia. I did check haveibeenpwned.com by putting in my email address and it didn’t find any compromised accounts.... which is weird. I did change my LibriVox and Google passwords though, just in case. Thank you, though.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm

I'm curious. Go here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords and type in your old password, if you know it. Was just the password compromised?
(If you used "password!" it's been leaked. :lol: Same with "shop1ping")

And if you go here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites there's a list of sites that they've recorded data breaches. LV isn't one of them. (Whew)
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm

My LibriVox, Google and some miscellaneous passwords were compromised, upon checking- thankfully I changed them!
My new passwords have not been compromised. I’m just curious now as to what the data leak was about, and who leaked it... there’s probably no way of finding out, but I’m still wondering. :hmm: