COMPLETE [HISTORY]Cambridge Medieval History, Volume 1-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
FakeBertrandRussel

Post by FakeBertrandRussel »

Will do, thank you.
I'll also look around to see if I can find anything/anyone that can help.
KevinS wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:35 pm
FakeBertrandRussel wrote: December 6th, 2020, 4:47 pm Hello friends!

Any ideas on how to read the Greek phrase on page 447? I tried to copy and paste it here but the OCR is not capturing it?
If you would just leave a blank for the time being. I'll see what I can learn.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Any ideas on how to read the Greek phrase on page 447? I tried to copy and paste it here but the OCR is not capturing it?
If my decades past study of Greek retains a degree of accuracy, the phrase should be read as, "tritemorion ton hagron." I think the "e" should be sounded like a long "a" in English as in the word "aim." The "a" is sounded as "ah." I think the "o" would be "oh" and the "i" pronounced "ee." The consonants are pretty much as in English. The "h" comes from the comma above the alpha being a symbol for the "h" sound, which I just learned from trusty old Wikipedia is "a voiceless glottal fricative." :roll:

I wouldn't worry about the circumflexes which "marked high and falling pitch within one syllable" or the acute accent mark which "marked high pitch on a short vowel or rising pitch on a long vowel."
Pattymarie
FakeBertrandRussel

Wow! Brilliant! Thank you, this is great!!

pattymarie wrote: December 7th, 2020, 6:48 am

If my decades past study of Greek retains a degree of accuracy, the phrase should be read as, "tritemorion ton hagron." I think the "e" should be sounded like a long "a" in English as in the word "aim." The "a" is sounded as "ah." I think the "o" would be "oh" and the "i" pronounced "ee." The consonants are pretty much as in English. The "h" comes from the comma above the alpha being a symbol for the "h" sound, which I just learned from trusty old Wikipedia is "a voiceless glottal fricative." :roll:

I wouldn't worry about the circumflexes which "marked high and falling pitch within one syllable" or the acute accent mark which "marked high pitch on a short vowel or rising pitch on a long vowel."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

pattymarie wrote: December 7th, 2020, 6:48 am

I'm impressed!
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Hallo everyone.
Just dropped by to say I'm working on my sect. 33 and not disappeared kidnapped by aliens.
Already recorded it all, just need to fix mistakes, repetition and some clicking here and there.

See you all, soon I hope.
Emanuela
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Eysiss wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:25 am Hallo everyone.
Just dropped by to say I'm working on my sect. 33 and not disappeared kidnapped by aliens.
Already recorded it all, just need to fix mistakes, repetition and some clicking here and there.

See you all, soon I hope.
Emanuela
Great! Thank you for being in touch!
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

KevinS wrote: December 7th, 2020, 8:28 am

I'm impressed!
It would be impressive if I'd learned enough to know what the phrase means, but, with just one semester of classical Greek, I haven't a clue to the meaning.
Pattymarie
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Roots to the rescue! :mrgreen:

tritemorion ton agron

tri(te) = three
mor(ion) = portion, diminutive from the same root as Moirai and Moros (lot, fate)
agr(os) = field (agriculture is a Latin word, but what's a language here or there among Indo-Europeans)

So, a third of the fields.

Michael
FakeBertrandRussel

hello!
I just uploaded section 53 ....
hope it works!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemedievalhistory1_53_bury_128kb.mp3
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

FakeBertrandRussel wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm hello!
hope it works!!

Thank you!

In future, please include the length (time) of your recording, too.
FakeBertrandRussel

Will do. Sorry ! :?
It’s 27:40

KevinS wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:52 pm
FakeBertrandRussel wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm hello!
hope it works!!

Thank you!

In future, please include the length (time) of your recording, too.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 53 PL notes:

The reading of the text is pl ok, but the intro is missing its third section. It needs the addition of "Cambridge Medieval History, Volume 1, Section [number], Section title by [Your section's author], following "please visit Librivox.org." The "section title" is the chapter title in the table of contents plus "part (part number)" if the chapter is divided. This is not required, but many readers have included the chapter number before the title, which this former researcher finds is enormously helpful to any researcher in locating the material quickly.
Pattymarie
FakeBertrandRussel

Thank you! I will re-upload it with the missing intro parts.
As for the chapter title, since my section is not the first of the chapter should I still mention the title? I ask because the special instructions say not to, if I understood them correctly?
"SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Most chapters are divided into two or more sections. Please read the chapter title for only the first section of a chapter (as marked in the MW.) To simplify matters, we will not be reading a chapter's topics as they are not clearly marked in the text."

pattymarie wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:09 pm Section 53 PL notes:

The reading of the text is pl ok, but the intro is missing its third section. It needs the addition of "Cambridge Medieval History, Volume 1, Section [number], Section title by [Your section's author], following "please visit Librivox.org." The "section title" is the chapter title in the table of contents plus "part (part number)" if the chapter is divided. This is not required, but many readers have included the chapter number before the title, which this former researcher finds is enormously helpful to any researcher in locating the material quickly.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

FakeBertrandRussel wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:36 pm Thank you! I will re-upload it with the missing intro parts.
As for the chapter title, since my section is not the first of the chapter should I still mention the title? I ask because the special instructions say not to, if I understood them correctly?
"SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Most chapters are divided into two or more sections. Please read the chapter title for only the first section of a chapter (as marked in the MW.) To simplify matters, we will not be reading a chapter's topics as they are not clearly marked in the text."

patty is a pro and I happily admit that she is right and that my original instructions were not well thought out. If you don't mind...
FakeBertrandRussel

Sounds great! Happy to! :thumbs: I just fixed it and added the chapter title to the missing intro.
Thanks again for the help!

here's the link,
audio length is 27:53

KevinS wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
FakeBertrandRussel wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:36 pm Thank you! I will re-upload it with the missing intro parts.

patty is a pro and I happily admit that she is right and that my original instructions were not well thought out. If you don't mind...