[COMPLETE] The Summer Holidays: A Story for Children - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

The Summer Holidays: A story for Children by Amerel ( - 0).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-summer-holidays-a-story-for-children-by-amerel/
Mr Harvey two sons Thomas and John were very anxious for their cousin Samuel Reed to spend the August holidays with them. The boys had not seen each other since New Year's Day, and Mr Harvey told his son that they might go to see an old man name Hail who was so sickly that he could not work. This old man's name was Hall, and the boys of the school called him Daddy Hall. He had once been rich; but sickness and misfortune had reduced him to poverty, so that he now lived with his little son, in a small hut, near a hill. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15684
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Summer Holidays: A story for Children. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Summer Holidays: A story for Children, by Amerel. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Summer Holidays: A story for Children by Amerel. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Summer Holidays: A story for Children, by Amerel. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename summerholidays_##_amerel_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. summerholidays_01_amerel_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by MARIA8746 on December 3rd, 2020, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsinaymel

Post by Tsinaymel »

:D
Last edited by Tsinaymel on December 1st, 2020, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsinaymel

Post by Tsinaymel »

:)
Last edited by Tsinaymel on December 1st, 2020, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Hello, here is the link they sent to me for the solo reader
Hope this helps.

Best

Maria

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Tsinaymel wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:25 am I am new to this and if this post above is sufficient to "reserve" this project as a soloist, please advise.

I think the thread will transferred out of the launch pad by the MC if I am not mistaken. I "think" maybe I should have volunteered in the "Readers Wanted" section instead of in this one. I think newbies are not allowed to be MC yet, but if allowed to, I'd like to volunteer to be the MC. Thanks.
When someone makes a post in 'going solo' it means that they intend to record and bc themselves.

only admins can mc. mc = meta co-ordinator. this means they do all the behind the scenes things such as cataloguing finished projects.

bc = book co-ordinator. bc's assign chapters to readers and other things.

i suggest that you volunteer for some chapters in a group project in 'readers wanted: books' or 'readers wanted: short works' before you attempt to start a solo or to bc a group project :) viewforum.php?f=19 viewforum.php?f=2
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

ashleighjane wrote: December 1st, 2020, 9:30 am
Tsinaymel wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:25 am I am new to this and if this post above is sufficient to "reserve" this project as a soloist, please advise.

I think the thread will transferred out of the launch pad by the MC if I am not mistaken. I "think" maybe I should have volunteered in the "Readers Wanted" section instead of in this one. I think newbies are not allowed to be MC yet, but if allowed to, I'd like to volunteer to be the MC. Thanks.
When someone makes a post with SOLO in the title it means that they intend to record and bc themselves.

only admins can mc. mc = meta co-ordinator. this means they do all the behind the scenes things such as cataloguing finished projects.

bc = book co-ordinator. bc's assign chapters to readers and other things.

i suggest that you volunteer for some chapters in a group project in 'readers wanted: books' or 'readers wanted: short works' before you attempt to start a solo or to bc a group project :) viewforum.php?f=19 viewforum.php?f=2
Tsinaymel

Post by Tsinaymel »

Thanks for the word. I felt I was going in the wrong direction. I will start by volunteering in the Readers Wanted thread and/or look at public domain texts that could be proposed.
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Hello everyone. Looking for MC to this project.
Looking forward for all your support.

Many thanks
Maria
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Just so you know, it's OK to start recording before an MC shows up (since this is obviously PD), but you just won't be able to upload your files until someone takes it.

You might also want to be thinking about a different summary- something that gives prospective Proof Listeners an idea of what these stories contain. :wink:
~Rosebud
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Thank you for your advice. My first SOLO project and I don't know how it goes after I posted it.
Is that possible to edit the description of the book?

Many thanks,

Maria
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

To edit the decsription you need to edit your first post. just click on the icon that looks like a pencil and you will be able to edit it.

you might also like to put a ~ at the beginning of a title so that people know that this project needs a proof listener.

an admin will come along to mc eventually, don't worry.
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Thanks to you. Appreciate.
You mean put (a~) this symbol for PL?
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

MARIA8746 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:08 am Thanks to you. Appreciate.
You mean put (a~) this symbol for PL?
Yep. if a project has that symbol in it's title then it means that it needs a dedicated proof listener :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. We will need a book intro/summary before cataloging time (as AshleighJane said, preferably earlier so a DPL can have an idea what the book is about). :)

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Awe, I didn't know that. Thank you for your kindness.
I will edit it and follow your advice😊