COMPLETE The Brownies: Their Book by Palmer Cox-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

The Brownies: Their Book by Palmer Cox (1840 - 1924).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-brownies-their-book-by-palmer-cox/
The Brownies are delightful, helpful, mischievous characters and this series of rollicking rhymes tells many stories about their adventures. ( Jude Somers)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32210/32210-h/32210-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Children's Fiction/Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: Brownies, mischief, pixies, little people

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Brownies: Their Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Brownies: Their Book, by Palmer Cox. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Brownies: Their Book by Palmer Cox. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Brownies: Their Book, by Palmer Cox. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename browniestheirbook_##_cox_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. browniestheirbook_01_cox_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Palmer Cox
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Brownies: Their Book

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Jude. Glad you decided on another brownie book. I'll MC for you again, though I won't be DPL this time around. I'll have your MW in a bit...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you are all set. You didn't enter in the template how many sections you wanted, so I put in 24, as it looks like there are that many listed in the table of contents. But if you decide to combine any of them or anything like that, we can still work with it.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

oops, yes I meant to put in 24 (makes sense with the book). Yay, glad you're my MC again for the project! Will get down to work now ...

happy Jude
......................................................................................

Michael J. Fox
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

This looks cute! I’d love to be the DPL.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Excellent! I think you'll like this book, Jenn. I had a lot of fun with the last one Jude narrated.

And if both of you are ready, I'll take us to Going Solo.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Looking forward to it :thumbs:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I've just done Chapter 1 (6:11) and uploaded it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/browniestheirbook_01_cox_128kb.mp3

It looks like the chapters are going to average quite short like this one. Do you think I should combine two chapters in each file and change the MW to 12 sections? I'm never quite sure what listeners might prefer or how they'll actually use the recordings. I'm fine with 12 or 24 ... just thought I'd ask you two.

And I have to say, reading these rhymes is a real challenge! It's too darn easy to just fall into la la la la la rhythm and lose the words/meanings. Good challenge for me :)

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I would probably leave it as is, if it were my project. Six minutes is not too short for a section of a children's book. If it were, say two or three minutes, or less, that might be different. But I've seen several children's books that come to 4 or 5 minutes a section.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

okay, 24 it is ... onward and upward ...

Michael J. Fox
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Such a cute book and I've only heard Chapter 1! Lovely reading!

I did notice a picture that has text written over it but wasn't in the recording. I've written out the text below, it is really hard to see. I have not seen something like that before so I wasn't sure if it was text that needed to be recorded or not but thought I'd mention it.

1:38- missing text hidden in picture:

The more they talked, the stronger grew
The wish to prove how much they knew,
From page to page through books to pass
And spell the words that tried the class;
So through their skill they soon obtained
Access to all the room contained.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

How odd! I found a scan of this book, and it looks like this may have been a printer's error? Or perhaps an attempt at some clever formatting or illumination. https://archive.org/details/cihm_17005/page/n17/mode/1up The indents and formatting of that stanza looks the same as that which follows, but for some reason, this image is superimposed on it. I see something similar in "The Brownies at Baseball," though that one is more obvious: https://archive.org/details/cihm_17005/page/n92/mode/1up

Good catch, Jenn!
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I’ll fix that up next.I just noticed a “lost” word in Chapter 2 and realized something odd was afoot.

Thanks for the catch!

Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Okay, the lost paragraph is now inserted into Chapter 1 (new length 6:30)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/browniestheirbook_01_cox_128kb.mp3

Thanks very much for copying out the text for me. What a mess, eh? will keep my eyes peeled for more hidden words in the upcoming chapters.

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

And here is the short but sweet Chapter 2 (length 4:58)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/browniestheirbook_02_cox_128kb.mp3

I saw on the book scan that Palmer Cox has a summary of the book that would work well for our Librivox page.
"Brownies, like fairies and goblins, are imaginary little sprites, who are supposed to delight in harmless pranks and helpful deeds. They work and sport while weary households sleep, and never allow themselves to be seen by mortal eyes."

Just thought this might be more appropriate for the book description.

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox