COMPLETE - [SOLO] Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables by Aunt Naomi - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables by Aunt Naomi (Gertrude Landa) (1881 - 1941).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/jewish-fairy-tales-and-fables-by-gertrude-landa/

Gertrude Landa or rather, Hannah Gittel (Annie Gertrude) Landa nee Gordon wrote under the pen-name of Aunt Naomi. The stories that she relates in this book are mostly based on parables from the Talmud and the Midrash, those compilations of ancient teachings, interpretations and learning which in importance are second only to the Bible (Old Testament) in Jewish religious tradition. ( Noel Badrian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/jewishfairytales00landiala/page/10/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: fairy tales, fables, jewish.

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables , by Aunt Naomi (Gertrude Landa). [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables by Aunt Naomi . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables , by Aunt Naomi (Gertrude Landa). "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename jewishfairytalesandfables_##_landa_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jewishfairytalesandfables_01_landa_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID2 tags - these are added automatically during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
Lynda ( Lmnei ) has kindly offered to be the DPL for this book.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
linny

Post by linny »

Noel,
Can you find another copy of this book? This one does not have a printed publication date. That makes the PD status suspect. :(
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello Linny,

I wonder if this helps, In the Preface of her book (Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends) Published in 1919 (https://archive.org/details/jewishfairytales00land3/page/n7/mode/2up) she says "The very cordial welcome given to my earlier volume of "Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables" has prompted me to draw furthur upon ...etc"
Also, in The Hathi Trust catalogue, the book is stated to have been published in 1908 (https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Search/Home?lookfor=%22Landa,%20Gertrude.%22&type=author&inst=)

However if neither of these sources are of any use, there is an American edition also to be found in the Internet Archive with a publication date of 1915 but again this is not actually printed in the book but there is also a Library of Congress volume available of the same edition also marked 1915

I would prefer to read from the First UK (1908) edition but quite prepared to use the (1915) American edition if that is necessary.

Regards, Noel
Noel's Recordings

linny

Post by linny »

Fairy Tales and Legends is indeed PD: https://archive.org/details/jewishfairytales00land3/page/n7/mode/2up

Unfortunately, the Hathi Trust version of Fairy Tales and Fables has a handwritten copyright instead of a printed date. While it originally may have been published prior to Legends we need to know that the copy you are reading from is PD.

Do you have a link to the Library of Congress volume?
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
The Library of Congress volume is here:
https://www.loc.gov/item/15014526/
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

:D
Just found a volume for sale!

Bibliographic Details
Title: Jewish Fairy Tales and Fables
Publisher: Robert Scott, 1917, 6th Impression
Publication Date: 1917
Binding: Hardcover
Store Description
The Bookshop, Kirkstall,

Maybe I will have to buy it and see!
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
On the page for the Library of Congress volume, it states that:
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Does that help?

Noel
Noel's Recordings

linny

Post by linny »

I've asked an MC with more experience in PD to come and have a look.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Thanks Linny :thumbs:
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

:D
I just found a book by another author published in 1917 which actually has a printed advert in the front for my proposed book!
N
Noel's Recordings

linny

Post by linny »

More MCs seem to be behind an ok than not so lets go for it. Give me a few minutes and I'll be back with your MW. :wink:

All done. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions along the way.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

linny wrote: November 28th, 2020, 1:55 pm More MCs seem to be behind an ok than not so lets go for it. Give me a few minutes and I'll be back with your MW. :wink:

All done. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions along the way.
Hi There,
Thank you so much for all the extra work you had to put in for this little book.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

linny

Post by linny »

Noel,
No trouble at all. I'm very glad to see this one get into the catalog. :9:

Once you confirm you can get into the MW I'll move you and Lynda over to going solo.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

linny wrote: November 29th, 2020, 6:19 am Noel,
No trouble at all. I'm very glad to see this one get into the catalog. :9:

Once you confirm you can get into the MW I'll move you and Lynda over to going solo.
Hi.
Thanks! No problems with the MW.
I must have miscounted my chapters though and had to add another section, perhaps you will just check it is OK.
Noel
Noel's Recordings