COMPLETE: Birds, Vol. III, No 6, June 1898 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Thanks for section 11, AuntieBacon. When you post the link to your recording, please also post the duration of the file in mm:ss :)
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jennlea wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:20 am Here is Section 9:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_09_various_128kb.mp3
2:51

Larry- please note that I paid extra special attention to get the ending right since this is the last one. If I somehow managed to leave it out again, I'm a lost cause I'm afraid :lol:
Perfect!
Yep, we're all going to have ornithological withdrawal. :shock:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for your recording -- excellent reading!
Just a couple of technical issues that you need to correct

First, the bit rate is incorrect. We require all files to b 128 kbps 44,100 Hz and yours is 40 kbps 32,000 Hz
This can be easily changed when you export your file in Audacity.

Less serious -- the beginning silence (which isn't quite silent) is a bit too long. It needs to be less than one second. The ending silence is too long. We'd like it closer to five seconds. Also there as a bump sound just as you say "2020" at the end

Another thing you might take a look at is the volume at the beginning. It is quite low for the first 45 seconds and then increases quite noticeably. The average volume is good, so you consider highlighting that first part and amplifying it by about 3 dBs.

If you need help with any of this, just let us know. We are here to help :)

Just upload your corrected file under the same file name, post the link here again with the new file length as mm:ss and we'll check it again.

Thanks again for you nice reading.
~ Larry
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

silverquill wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Thank you for your recording -- excellent reading!
Just a couple of technical issues that you need to correct

First, the bit rate is incorrect. We require all files to b 128 kbps 44,100 Hz and yours is 40 kbps 32,000 Hz
This can be easily changed when you export your file in Audacity.

Less serious -- the beginning silence (which isn't quite silent) is a bit too long. It needs to be less than one second. The ending silence is too long. We'd like it closer to five seconds. Also there as a bump sound just as you say "2020" at the end

Another thing you might take a look at is the volume at the beginning. It is quite low for the first 45 seconds and then increases quite noticeably. The average volume is good, so you consider highlighting that first part and amplifying it by about 3 dBs.

If you need help with any of this, just let us know. We are here to help :)

Just upload your corrected file under the same file name, post the link here again with the new file length as mm:ss and we'll check it again.

Thanks again for you nice reading.
Alright! I think this meets all the requirements. Let me know if I missed something! :mrgreen:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_11_various_128kb.mp3 9:45
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Larry will spot PL the rest for you, but I check the tech specs of your new upload. You have fixed the sample rate, but this file still has the wrong mp3 bitrate setting. You need to set your recording app to export(or record) the mp3 with the same settings you did for your test -

128kbps constant bitrate
44,100 Hz sample rate
Jo
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 17th, 2020, 4:10 pm Larry will spot PL the rest for you, but I check the tech specs of your new upload. You have fixed the sample rate, but this file still has the wrong mp3 bitrate setting. You need to set your recording app to export(or record) the mp3 with the same settings you did for your test -

128kbps constant bitrate
44,100 Hz sample rate
Hey, so the app that I was using to record the test was suddenly glitching and cutting out some of the recording when I recorded the chapter so I tried to record from a different app that recorded in m4a and i converted it to mp3. That was the first recording i sent you. After that I was able to access a computer to edit it in audacity however, i couldn't find how to select the correct bitrate (128kbps) so i downloaded a bitrate conversion software and then converted it to 128kbps. Maybe I don't know what I am doing. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Any suggestions? I could just rerecord a new test in Audacity but i don't know how to make the setting be on 128kbps. There was only a place for bits (i think the numbers were something like 12,16, and 32) and hz. Is there a step I'm missing? I also am not sure how to check that it is the right bitrate.

Wait wait...i think I got it... Give me a sec...
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

AuntieBacon wrote: November 17th, 2020, 7:02 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 17th, 2020, 4:10 pm Larry will spot PL the rest for you, but I check the tech specs of your new upload. You have fixed the sample rate, but this file still has the wrong mp3 bitrate setting. You need to set your recording app to export(or record) the mp3 with the same settings you did for your test -

128kbps constant bitrate
44,100 Hz sample rate
Hey, so the app that I was using to record the test was suddenly glitching and cutting out some of the recording when I recorded the chapter so I tried to record from a different app that recorded in m4a and i converted it to mp3. That was the first recording i sent you. After that I was able to access a computer to edit it in audacity however, i couldn't find how to select the correct bitrate (128kbps) so i downloaded a bitrate conversion software and then converted it to 128kbps. Maybe I don't know what I am doing. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Any suggestions? I could just rerecord a new test in Audacity but i don't know how to make the setting be on 128kbps. There was only a place for bits (i think the numbers were something like 12,16, and 32) and hz. Is there a step I'm missing? I also am not sure how to check that it is the right bitrate.

Wait wait...i think I got it... try this one!! #fingerscrossed

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_11_various_128kb.mp3 09:46
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You set the bitrate at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.
Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown)
Check option to Force Export to Mono

The bitrate is correct on your latest upload so it looks like you figured it out. :) I didn't give you the instructions for audacity earlier since you had previously indicated that wasn't an option. Once you have set the export options in Audacity, they will stay that way for future recordings as long as you don't change them. If you do have access to a computer, then you can download the checker program and use it to check your mp3 settings and volume after exporting to mp3 and before you upload your file.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
Jo
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:27 pm You set the bitrate at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.
Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown)
Check option to Force Export to Mono

The bitrate is correct on your latest upload so it looks like you figured it out. :) I didn't give you the instructions for audacity earlier since you had previously indicated that wasn't an option. Once you have set the export options in Audacity, they will stay that way for future recordings as long as you don't change them. If you do have access to a computer, then you can download the checker program and use it to check your mp3 settings and volume after exporting to mp3 and before you upload your file.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
Yay! Thank you! 😁
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

silverquill wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:26 pm
spatel2 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm Section 7: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_07_various_128kb.mp3
(2:39)
Thanks!
Nice reading!
Thank you.

Just one thing that needs attention. At the end, please say, "This recording is in the public domain."
Hi! Here's the updated recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_07_various_128kb.mp3

My Audacity is having a problem so if it doesn't work, that would be why. :thumbs:
~ Shriya
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

spatel2 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
Hi! Here's the updated recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsjun1898_07_various_128kb.mp3

My Audacity is having a problem so if it doesn't work, that would be why. :thumbs:
This is now PL OK.
Thanks you!

Looking forward to your recording of Section 8. :wink:
~ Larry
AuntieBacon

Post by AuntieBacon »

Hey Larry, just checking in to see if you were able to PL to my recording... The last link i posted is the correct one. Jo said it met the technical requirements. The MW says see PL notes. I'm not sure if I need to do something else? 🤷🏽‍♀️
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I see that I must have forgotten to change it to Ready for Spot PL. I only checked the tech specs on the mp3. Larry will spot check anything else that was noted.
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AuntieBacon wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:34 am Hey Larry, just checking in to see if you were able to PL to my recording... The last link i posted is the correct one. Jo said it met the technical requirements. The MW says see PL notes. I'm not sure if I need to do something else? 🤷🏽‍♀️
Sorry to be a bit behind.

Your file does not meet the tech specs, but you've cut the silences a bit too much. While we don't really have a minimum for the beginning, it's best to have between .5-1.0 seconds, and now you have nearly none. You've gut the end to 4 seconds, and our goal is something close to 5. And, I still hear that bump at the end just before "2020." It is minor, and normally wouldn't mention it, but it is easy to clip out when you make these final adjustments.

Thanks for working on this.
~ Larry