COMPLETE [POETRY] Boys and Girls by James W Foley-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lomond

Post by lomond »

mimi0813 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:43 pm Here is my submission.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/boysandgirls_034_foley_128kb.mp3 2:04

Michelle Thompson
Greetings -

Welcome to LibriVox, mimi0813. I must warn you that being a part of LV can become an obsession...but, really, what's so bad about that?

Chapter 34 was nicely done and has been awarded the lofty status of PL OK. I really like the charming way you read "Goo!" :) :) :thumbs:

Will we be seeing more from you in the near future?

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

kellypark2023 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:02 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_109_foley_128kb.mp3

Here is section 109 at 1:26
Greetings -

kellypark2023, I am happy to listen to you for the first time.

First, the part that I listened to was well read with a clear voice and good cadence. There was nothing to be concerned about with your reading style.

I am a bit confused because your reading does not have the first two and a half verses of the poem. Did something get cut off when you were getting ready to upload it?

On the technical side, the audio level of the file was at 83db and we need to have it at 86db or better.

Some easy fixes and it will be ready to receive PL OK status.

Lomond
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Signature: KATHLEEN
lomond

Post by lomond »

2839reader wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm Thank You. Correction at 1:41.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_051_foley_128kb.mp3
2:16
Greetings -

Thanks much.

MW updated.

Lomond
kellypark2023

Post by kellypark2023 »

lomond wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm
kellypark2023 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:02 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_109_foley_128kb.mp3

Here is section 109 at 1:26
Greetings -

kellypark2023, I am happy to listen to you for the first time.

First, the part that I listened to was well read with a clear voice and good cadence. There was nothing to be concerned about with your reading style.

I am a bit confused because your reading does not have the first two and a half verses of the poem. Did something get cut off when you were getting ready to upload it?

On the technical side, the audio level of the file was at 83db and we need to have it at 86db or better.

Some easy fixes and it will be ready to receive PL OK status.

Lomond
Thanks, I will make the fixes and upload it again as soon as possible
kellypark2023

Post by kellypark2023 »

Here is the updated version of section 109 at 2:37

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_109_foley_128kb.mp3
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

lomond wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:15 pm Chapter 94 notes -

There are pauses just before and just after the poem itself that could stand some trimming in length. Otherwise, PL OK.
Section 94 revised

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_094_foley_128kb.mp3
1;16

I think this is a matter of taste. I generally leave a gap of 2 seconds at the beginning and end of poems as I think it sounds better. I have done this on dozens of poems for projects BCed by Larry and he has never complained yet. :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
datnguyen1110

Post by datnguyen1110 »

Greetings,

I have posted my one-minute test in the appropriate place, awaiting feedback. Meanwhile, I'd like to record the following sections, in addition to section 30 which I claimed previously:

Section 33 "The Lost Boy"
Section 47 "A Present for Little Boy Blue"
Section 65 "Asleep at the Circus"
Section 81 "Circus Day"
Section 84 "The Parted Ways"
Section 86 "Lullaby"
Section 93 "Don't"
and section 106 "A Verse to Memory"

I know this is not usual for a newbie like I am to claim a lot of poems, but I am confident that I will complete this within the deadline. I will notify timely if any unexpected events occur and prevent me from doing so.

Thank you.
~Dat Nguyen a.k.a Damien1110
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kellypark2023 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:43 am Here is the updated version of section 109 at 2:37

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_109_foley_128kb.mp3
This is Ready for Spot PL.
Thank you
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mimi0813

Post by mimi0813 »

lomond wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
mimi0813 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:43 pm Here is my submission.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/boysandgirls_034_foley_128kb.mp3 2:04

Michelle Thompson
Greetings -

Welcome to LibriVox, mimi0813. I must warn you that being a part of LV can become an obsession...but, really, what's so bad about that?

Chapter 34 was nicely done and has been awarded the lofty status of PL OK. I really like the charming way you read "Goo!" :) :) :thumbs:

Will we be seeing more from you in the near future?

Lomond
Thank you so much!! I enjoyed doing that and I will be doing some more in the future!!
lomond

Post by lomond »

alanmapstone wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am
I think this is a matter of taste. I generally leave a gap of 2 seconds at the beginning and end of poems as I think it sounds better. I have done this on dozens of poems for projects BCed by Larry and he has never complained yet. :hmm:
Greetings -

Thanks for the explanation, Alan. I hope to listen to more of your poetry readings in the future and I will make a note of your preference. If you like it and Larry likes it, then I like it. Besides, who are we to argue with Larry? :)

Lomond
Gizzylove

Post by Gizzylove »

Hi! Can I claim section 65, 81, and 88? Thank you :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanmapstone wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am
lomond wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:15 pm Chapter 94 notes -

There are pauses just before and just after the poem itself that could stand some trimming in length. Otherwise, PL OK.
Section 94 revised

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/boysandgirls_094_foley_128kb.mp3
1;16

Well, since I'm being targeted here .... :lol: I guess I'll have to say pauses and pacing is a variable probably as a matter of preference and style. I personally use shorter pauses. To the listener, pauses in the audio seem longer than in normal conversation. We see this most pronounced in plays and DRs where we just can't have the pauses that we would normally have actually on stage. The spoken, recorded word is just different.

Anyway, I try to give the reader the latitude in this unless I really think it is detracting from the listening experience. Or I might just mention it as an optional recommendation or observation. It may be that the reader didn't intend such a long pause and this at least gives them a chance to check on it. (Then there are those who have hardly any pauses, and that is even more annoying).

So, good job to you both.
Carry on. :)
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

squishypotatoes wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:45 pm Hello! I would like to do Section 69: "The Loser." Since this will be my first recording, I would like the name assigned to the recording to be Jason Vu.
Oh, missed this claim! I'm sure it slipped in on the end of the page . . . but, I have assigned you this section to read.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

datnguyen1110 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:13 am Greetings,

I have posted my one-minute test in the appropriate place, awaiting feedback. Meanwhile, I'd like to record the following sections, in addition to section 30 which I claimed previously:

Section 33 "The Lost Boy"
Section 47 "A Present for Little Boy Blue"
Section 65 "Asleep at the Circus"
Section 81 "Circus Day"
Section 84 "The Parted Ways"
Section 86 "Lullaby"
Section 93 "Don't"
and section 106 "A Verse to Memory"

I know this is not usual for a newbie like I am to claim a lot of poems, but I am confident that I will complete this within the deadline. I will notify timely if any unexpected events occur and prevent me from doing so.

Thank you.
Well, yes, this is unusual. I'd like you to complete your first requested section first before adding such a large number.

I did listen to your test recording and left some comments and recommendations. The person who posted your first comments is also a newbie....

There are some issues with the amount of reverb in your recording giving it a pronounced hollow barrel or empty room sound.
We don't expect professional studio quality, of course, but I think there are some things you can do to improve your audio.
~ Larry