[COMPLETE] A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard (1870 - 1956).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/a-womans-way-through-unknown-labrador-by-mina-benson-hubbard/

Mina Benson Hubbard set out in 1905 on a 576 mile canoe journey across the interior of Labrador with the assistance of four guides. Her husband Leonidas Hubbard had perished in an attempt to make the same trip in 1903 while working as a writer for an outdoor magazine. Mrs Hubbard was the first person to accurately map the river routes her expedition followed. The story of her journey is followed at the end of the book by her husband's diary of his ill-fated trip and an account by George Elson of his efforts to save himself and his companions, and ultimately to recover Mr Hubbard's body. ( Zach Hoyt)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4266
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: exploration, Labrador, canoeing, mapping
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [date, city, your blog, podcast]"
    • Say:
      "A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador, by Mina Benson Hubbard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador, by Mina Benson Hubbard. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename unknownlabrador_##_hubbard_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. unknownlabrador_01_hubbard_128kb.mp3)

You can ignore the ID3 tags, they will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by zachh on January 22nd, 2021, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I have a few questions about how I filled out the form, as I have not done a solo recording before. The book has a preface but it's very short, so my thought (if it's okay) is to roll it into Chapter 1. The combined recording should be around 20-25 minutes, while the preface might only be one or two.

The last chapter on Project Gutenberg is quite long, comprising a diary and another narrative. I am guessing that I may need to split the diary into two, and also split the other narrative into two. I am not sure as I have not yet tried recording things that are written in this style, with a lot of stopping and starting. Is it okay to wait and see when I get there, or does a final determination need to be made at the start about how many chapters there will be?

I wrote something for the description, but it could doubtless be made better. Is it possible to edit it further before the book is finalized? I have read the book on Gutenberg so I am familiar with it, but summarization is not something with which I'm experienced.

I was able to select non-fiction, but the drag down menu under that heading wouldn't open for me beyond the first four choices, so I couldn't find the right category. I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than I will be so kind as to make the selection.

I'm planning this to be a winter project, and my aim is to record and edit a chapter per week. I've very much enjoyed listening to Librivox books in the woodworking shop every day for the last few years and I am looking forward to being able to add a little bit to the catalog eventually. I'm sorry this post is so long and full of questions, I appreciate all of the work that folks do here to make Librivox happen and I hope that in future I'll know better what I'm doing. Thank you very much.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds interesting!

I'll MC this for you, MW coming up [Edit: It's here! ]. Here's a Magic Window How-to for new soloists, ask if you have questions:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

As to the questions you already have:
- combining preface and chapter 1 is fine.
- you can split the last chapter as you need. Maximum recording length is 72 minutes, around 8000 - 9000 words (to make sure our recordings fit onto a CD, there are still people using these). We can add sections later, no big deal.
- I'll need a summary before cataloging, so there's no rush. You can edit your post above (click the pencil icon to the top right and write away) or post in the thread.
- From the one that's there, I would set the genres to "Travel/Geography - Exploration" and "Autobiography - Memoir" if that's okay with you.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you for all your help. The genres you listed sound perfect to me. Thanks for the information about how many words should be able fit in a chapter. In the last Gutenberg chapter Leonidas Hubbard's diary is about 14,500 words and George Elson's narrative is about 15,500, so I should be able to break each of them into two and still come in under 72 minutes. I didn't know how long it would take for a project to get ready to start, so I went ahead and filled out the form last night. I have another chapter of a group book to read on Sunday so I'm planning to record the first section of this book on Thanksgiving. Thank you very much.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I had some extra time today so I went ahead and read and edited the preface and first chapter. I am off now to learn how to update the MW from the helpfully provided instructions.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_01_hubbard_128kb.mp3
21:10
zachh

Post by zachh »

I think I have updated the MW correctly, but as this is my first time I am not sure. I'd be very grateful to anyone who is willing to be a PL or DPL.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It looks very good from my end, well done! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for all of your help and encouragement. The link for how to update the MW was very helpful and easy to understand, I would never have figured that out on my own.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to DPL if you don't think you'll race through this. (I'm a little backed up on PL work but am catching up.) I don't want you frustrated with me if I can't keep up.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you for the kind offer to DPL. I won't be able to race through the recording, my aspiration is to trudge, or perhaps to lumber or shuffle. I'm figuring on a chapter a week, or maybe two if they're short, and whenever you have time to PL will be fine with me. Thank you very much.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kevin added as DPL. And off we go "solo".

Enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

Availle, thank you for moving us.
KevinS, I think I am going to re-record section 1, there are some spots where I got going too fast. I didn't think you'd be ready to listen to it yet anyway, but it may be a few days before I get it done so I thought I should say so just in case.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm
KevinS, I think I am going to re-record section 1, there are some spots where I got going too fast. I didn't think you'd be ready to listen to it yet anyway, but it may be a few days before I get it done so I thought I should say so just in case.
Hahah! I listened this morning and am just coming now to update the MW.

I'll be happy to listen again, though I thought you did a fine job. There is one section, of the first recording, that is quite fuzzy. It runs from 2:17 - 2:26. Nine seconds of papers shuffling maybe?
zachh

Post by zachh »

That's very nice of you, and since you've already read it I'll just plan to read the rest of the book at a more sedate pace. I have re-recorded that part at 2:15, and I think I have uploaded the new file into the window, but since it has the same name as the old file I am not sure. I didn't have any papers, my guess is that that was the sound of the back of the microphone brushing against the blanket that I have hung on a pole over my chair to reduce echo. I didn't think I was wiggling around that much while I read, but I can't think what else could have made that loud of a sound. I also don't know how I missed it when I was editing the file, I'll have to listen for background noises in future. Thank you very much for your help.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Ch. 1 PL OK!