COMPLETE[Play]Importance of Being Earnest (version 5) - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

realisticspeakers wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:49 am I would like to do the stage directions please.
Okay! Welcome to the cast!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Thanks for getting this in so quickly!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/importanceofbeingearnest_stage-directions_1_128kb.mp3

As this is my first dramatic reading and uncertain of what I'm doing I took the liberty of adding articles like "the" and "an" to some of the directions to make it sound more listener friendly.
I've also added (appropriately I believe) the name of the character performing the action when not mentioned in the stage direction just to add clarity.

Open to criticism, comments, complaints, customizations, and counsel.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

realisticspeakers wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:06 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/importanceofbeingearnest_stage-directions_1_128kb.mp3

As this is my first dramatic reading and uncertain of what I'm doing I took the liberty of adding articles like "the" and "an" to some of the directions to make it sound more listener friendly.
I've also added (appropriately I believe) the name of the character performing the action when not mentioned in the stage direction just to add clarity.

Open to criticism, comments, complaints, customizations, and counsel.
Thanks for getting this in so promptly!

No, you don't need to add anything. Just read what is on the page. Stage directions can sound a bit bizarre and bare-bones when you read them in isolation. However when the listener hears them in the final form, they will be mixed with other readers performing the dialogue that will make what's going on abundantly apparent.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I do this in all the plays I run. The audience in a theater can see who performs an action; a listener can not. So a stage direction for a line by character XYZ that is printed "XYZ: Picks up the book" benefits by having the "XYZ" added to the "Picks up the book" direction when recorded. And we have always allowed this.

We also allow moving stage directions that are printed in the "wrong" place. For example. "aside" is often printed after the character words that should be said "aside", which is not useful. So we move "aside" to precede the words.

However, it is your project and as BC you decide what you want to do here.

Thanks, Todd

(Also: Moved us out of the Launch Pad to the Dramatic Works forum.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
realisticspeakers

ToddHW wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:05 am The audience in a theater can see who performs an action; a listener can not. So a stage direction for a line by character XYZ that is printed "XYZ: Picks up the book" benefits by having the "XYZ" added to the "Picks up the book" direction when recorded. And we have always allowed this.

We also allow moving stage directions that are printed in the "wrong" place. For example. "aside" is often printed after the character words that should be said "aside", which is not useful. So we move "aside" to precede the words.

This is exactly what I was conscientious of while recording, having listened to the previous versions and perusing a few other plays.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

-
Last edited by RobMarland on December 8th, 2023, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
realisticspeakers

RobMarland wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:06 am I made myself a cucumber sandwich
That's commitment! :thumbs:
Disclaimer:
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

RobMarland wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:06 am Here is Algernon, act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/importanceofbeingearnest_algernon_1_128kb.mp3

I made myself a cucumber sandwich (verdict: overrated). People vary in their tolerance for eating noises, but I've edited out the most objectionable and think it sounds OK. Feel free to edit around them if you prefer.
Thanks for getting this in so quickly! ...And for your devotion to culinary verisimilitude! :D
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ToddHW wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:05 am
I do this in all the plays I run. The audience in a theater can see who performs an action; a listener can not. So a stage direction for a line by character XYZ that is printed "XYZ: Picks up the book" benefits by having the "XYZ" added to the "Picks up the book" direction when recorded. And we have always allowed this.

However, it is your project and as BC you decide what you want to do here.

Thanks, Todd

(Also: Moved us out of the Launch Pad to the Dramatic Works forum.)
Thanks for moving us!

It would be nice to have a short "Best Practices" type write-up on Stage Directions for first-time readers (and editors) posted somewhere.

I'd never paid much attention to them before, but I'm discovering there's a lot more variation in the way stage directions are given in scripts than I'd ever noticed. Sometimes it can be unclear what needs to be preserved and what can be left out.

Also, with the dramas I've been picking recently, it would be handy to have a short guide to interpreting Victorian stage notation available to point readers to -- since it's not exactly the same as the terms we use today.
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer: