COMPLETE St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians (Part 1)-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians (Part 1) by St. John Chrysostom (c. 349 - c. 407). Translated by Hubert Kestell Cornish (1803-1873) and John Medley (1804-1892)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/st-john-chrysostom-on-first-corinthians-vol1/
The First Epistle to the Corinthians is attributed to St. Paul the Apostle and a co-author named Sosthenes, and is addressed to the materially wealthy Christian church in Corinth. The letter can be divided as follows: 1) Thanksgiving (1:4–9) 2) Division in Corinth (1:10–4:21) 3) Immorality in Corinth (5:1–6:20) 4) Difficulties in Corinth (7:1–14:40) 5) The Doctrine of the Resurrection (15:1–58) 6) Closing Remarks (16:1–24). In general, the letter is rich in instruction and covers many relevant issues for Christians today. This collection of St. John Chrysostom's homilies on the letter gives us a chance to hear one of the greatest minds of the early church expound on its contents. ( ancientchristian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/04ALibraryOfFathersOfTheHolyCatholicV04/page/n35/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Commentary

Keywords that describe the book: bible, New Testament, sermons, homilies, commentary, early church, 1 corinthians

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians Part I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Homilies of St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians. Translated by Hubert Kestell Cornish and John Medley [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Homilies of St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Homilies of St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians. Translated by Hubert Kestell Cornish and John Medley"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename firstcorinthians_##_chrysostom_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. firstcorinthians_01_chrysostom_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: St. John Chrysostom
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: St. John Chrysostom on First Corinthians

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ancientchristian on November 19th, 2020, 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll set this up for you. Back in a minute.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, your MW is ready for you. I added a tilde to your subject line, assuming that you don't yet have a DPL. Let me know if I'm wrong about that, so I can add them in.

I do have a question about the translators you've entered. I don't see any evidence from the book itself to show that those individuals did in fact translate the work. The book's frontispiece just says "Translated by members of the English church." I do see that Archive has it filed under those translators' names, but I'd like to see some evidence besides that, as Archive just takes the word of whoever uploads the scans without checking it. If you don't have anything else to base it on, I'll just enter Anonymous as the translator.
ancientchristian

Thanks for setting it up.

I'm fine with anything for the translator field. There is a worldcat record here that includes those translators:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/homilies-of-s-john-chrysostom-on-the-first-epistle-of-st-paul-the-apostle-to-the-corinthians/oclc/931211086&referer=brief_results
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ancientchristian wrote: November 8th, 2020, 6:20 am Thanks for setting it up.

I'm fine with anything for the translator field. There is a worldcat record here that includes those translators:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/homilies-of-s-john-chrysostom-on-the-first-epistle-of-st-paul-the-apostle-to-the-corinthians/oclc/931211086&referer=brief_results
Good find! This page lists John Keble as the author of the preface, and Cornish and Medley as the translators. It also has H. Newton as a "contributor," but doesn't get any more specific about him. So I've entered Cornish and Medley, and also edited the first post to include their names. I see that you've already recorded the preface, so I think you'll need to redo just the translator part of the intro. Sorry!

Do you plan to fill in the MW as you go? If so, I can move us to Going Solo whenever you're ready.
ancientchristian

It's no problem to redo the translators for the first recording.

And yes it's fine to move this to "going solo." I'll get to work on filling up the MW titles.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good!
ancientchristian

I don't know how I didn't realize this before, but this work is actually only Part 1. Hom. I. - XXIV.

I just changed the title in the description.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

How strange! Yes, you're right. I hadn't noticed, either, because the table of contents lists all of them. :hmm: You may have found it already, but here is part 2, which skips the table of contents and starts right in with page 337! :roll: https://archive.org/details/05ALibraryOfFathersOfTheHolyCatholicV05/

Just delete the section titles from the sections you won't need, and I will delete them.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Actually, on second thought, since you were already planning to read all of them, we could just leave everything as is and add that Part 2 text as a second source text. That way, it all stays together, and we wouldn't need to create separate catalogue entries. Probably would be much simpler.
ancientchristian

I think I'm done after I finish Part 1. The last homily I did was 1hr long. 350 pages is enough for me.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright then. In that case, just clear section titles and any other info from the extra sections, like I said. I will then delete the sections.
ancientchristian

OK sounds good. Will do.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

i see this one is just awaiting PL. I can PL here if you like to try to get it in the books. I cannot do it overnight, but I will try to do it as fast as possible.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
ancientchristian

That would be great if you could DPL this one. And take your time, it's a long commentary.