ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I hope to attend. (Life is a little up and down recently.)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

If my computer can be hooked up by then I plan to be there. The move is proving much more difficult than anticipated. :shock:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: November 19th, 2020, 8:06 pm If my computer can be hooked up by then I plan to be there. The move is proving much more difficult than anticipated. :shock:
That's always the case ---
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
smike

Post by smike »

I plan to be there, Michele, but have lumbago since yesterday and have yet to find a painless position.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

msfry wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:25 pm Is there a Zoom meeting this Sunday? (Nov. 22). Ooh..just realized that’s a famous (or infamous) day in U.S. history.

Anyway, hope to see lots of LibriVoxers there.
Yes, Sunday NOON, Nov. 22. I'll be doing a tutorial on "The Basics of Cover Making", and will take up most of the hour, followed by Q & A. It will cover the basics all cover makers follow, and a few of my own techniques creating the 450+ covers I have made in the past 6 years. It will be for those who want to make covers, or for those just appreciative of or curious about the process.

We'll be using Adrian's professional account, so today is probably a good day for him to send Phil or Tricia the invitation to be posted on the Announcement Thread. I hope to see several of you there, and wouldn't mind a heads up here or via PM if you are planning to attend.
The meeting credentials are:
Adrian Stephens is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83761392337?pwd=RkpyZ09weExnSld4bCtCVnlCNEI0QT09

Meeting ID: 837 6139 2337
Passcode: 995777
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Posted in the announcements thread.

I'm a solid "Maybe" on attending. Too much depends on what we do after church. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

adrianstephens wrote: November 19th, 2020, 11:43 pm
msfry wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:25 pm Is there a Zoom meeting this Sunday? (Nov. 22). Ooh..just realized that’s a famous (or infamous) day in U.S. history.

Anyway, hope to see lots of LibriVoxers there.
Yes, Sunday NOON, Nov. 22. I'll be doing a tutorial on "The Basics of Cover Making", and will take up most of the hour, followed by Q & A. It will cover the basics all cover makers follow, and a few of my own techniques creating the 450+ covers I have made in the past 6 years. It will be for those who want to make covers, or for those just appreciative of or curious about the process.

We'll be using Adrian's professional account, so today is probably a good day for him to send Phil or Tricia the invitation to be posted on the Announcement Thread. I hope to see several of you there, and wouldn't mind a heads up here or via PM if you are planning to attend.
The meeting credentials are:
Adrian Stephens is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83761392337?pwd=RkpyZ09weExnSld4bCtCVnlCNEI0QT09

Meeting ID: 837 6139 2337
Passcode: 995777
I'll be there, sure as shootin' !
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Something has been bothering me that shouldn't.
A couple of months ago, I donated a Zoom PRO to Librivox.

One complication was that there is no Manager or big honcho to whom the account could be assigned, so it was assigned to Phil Chenevert because he was the only one hosting a regular Zoom meeting. I asked him to not say anything about the donor so that I could remain incognito.

I intended the Zoom account to be a gift to ALL of Librivox to be shared by anyone who wanted to host a presentation.

Then there was a nice lady who offered her pro account, and now Adrian who is offering his own account. Furthermore, Phil is sorta optining out of hosting Zoom presentations.

This is not the effect I expected from my gift. I would appreciate very much if some of you would pass the word around that there is a "librivox public" zoom account which all Librivoxers may use.

Will anyone help me with this?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:46 am Something has been bothering me that shouldn't.

One complication was that there is no Manager or big honcho to whom the account could be assigned, so it was assigned to Phil Chenevert because he was the only one hosting a regular Zoom meeting. I asked him to not say anything about the donor so that I could remain incognito.

I intended the Zoom account to be a gift to ALL of Librivox to be shared by anyone who wanted to host a presentation.

Then there was a nice lady who offered her pro account, and now Adrian who is offering his own account. Furthermore, Phil is sorta optining out of hosting Zoom presentations.

This is not the effect I expected from my gift. I would appreciate very much if some of you would pass the word around that there is a "librivox public" zoom account which all Librivoxers may use.

I believe Phil is willing to and has tried to "share ownership" of the Zoom account with others, but hasn't yet found a way. Maybe you could research that. It would be cool if there could be "multiple owners", but all I've found is an option to switch owners. That would mean "serial owners".
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

msfry wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:58 am
williamjones wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:46 am Something has been bothering me that shouldn't.

I believe Phil is willing to and has tried to "share ownership" of the Zoom account with others, but hasn't yet found a way. Maybe you could research that. It would be cool if there could be "multiple owners", but all I've found is an option to switch owners. That would mean "serial owners".
Agreed, Zoom is not really in the business of encouraging accounts to be shared. The account is costed per individual host. Phil did try and add me to the account he runs, and when it started talking about giving me a refund on my account, I bailed out. I think it was going to cancel my account, and add me to Phil's account, resulting in Phil's account being charged double. That is not what either of us wanted.

There may be ways around this, but I suspect they would be contrary to the Zoom license agreement, and so I would not support them.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
loon

Post by loon »

Possible work around -

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 'ownership' of a Zoom (paid) account is tied to being able to receive email at a given address. If librivox.org is able to receive incoming email and forward it to multiple individuals anyone in that group should be able to administer the Zoom account that day. The (small) downside would be everyone in the group would be getting unneeded messages on days they were not hosting a meeting.

We all know librivox.org's computers are able to send email: we all receive messages from 'noreply@librivox.org'.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
msfry

Post by msfry »

We are still very early on in this process, feeling our way. Lots of enthusiasm, many possibilities to explore. As long as someone with a pro account is willing to host a scheduled meeting, like Adrian has agreed to do this Sunday because Phil said he would be in the throes of moving, I see no big rush to solve this. Phil will be available sometimes even if he turns the meeting over to someone else. Adrian sometimes. And I bet other people will turn up who have pro accounts as well. Furthermore, anyone can download a free Zoom account and run a 45 minute meeting with up to 100 people, close it, and re-invite the same people to come back after a "coffee break" for another 45 minutes. I've heard that sometimes Zoom will even offer for the meeting to continue without forcing it to close.

It's another learning curve, that's all. And we're all used to those. :roll: :D
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'm going to be starting a week long dog/housesit with a whole menagerie of animals (2 beagles, possible grandma's foofy dog as well, 2 parrotlets, 3 backyard chickens and a hermit crab) so I will probably be in transit around then and will have to catch up by YT later. Sorry to miss you all this time!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
msfry

Post by msfry »

ColleenMc wrote: November 20th, 2020, 12:46 pm I'm going to be starting a week long dog/housesit with a whole menagerie of animals (2 beagles, possible grandma's foofy dog as well, 2 parrotlets, 3 backyard chickens and a hermit crab) so I will probably be in transit around then and will have to catch up by YT later. Sorry to miss you all this time!

Colleen
As long as Adrian remembers to hit the "record" button . . . . . :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If Phil has login info for the "official" donated LibriVox Zoom account, he could maybe share that info with the other admins. Then, as long as at least one of us is available to host, I think we could easily use that account. I'm sure he'll be able to chime in on that when he gets a chance to take a break from unpacking.