ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: November 8th, 2020, 7:56 pm In the zoom meeting today someone mentioned they had come here from Gutenberg proofreading.
This reminds me - I've discovered the Gutenberg folk welcome errata reports in books they already have online. There's a page giving a useful format for reports at http://www.gutenberg.org/help/errata.html. I submitted two reports so far - one response was that the text was faithful to the book with a link to the scan of the page, the other was that I had spotted an error and a fix was underway. Neither response was in any way "you're wasting our time."

The LVers and the PGers should be - and are - friends.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS wrote: November 9th, 2020, 7:06 am From my experience, a determined nay-sayer will always win on wikipedia. I'm not saying surrender, but...
Just to be clear, I think that wiki in general is a little leery of the type of projects I suspect you're providing there. Are these the cataloging assists you've shown elsewhere, Bill? I think they're great, but wiki is not all that flexible, in my humble opinion.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: November 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm
KevinS wrote: November 9th, 2020, 7:06 am From my experience, a determined nay-sayer will always win on wikipedia. I'm not saying surrender, but...
Just to be clear, I think that wiki in general is a little leery of the type of projects I suspect you're providing there. Are these the cataloging assists you've shown elsewhere, Bill? I think they're great, but wiki is not all that flexible, in my humble opinion.
No, Kevin what I've been working on is much different from the previous work I've done to show a person's download counts.
I can't say anything about the latest and greatest yet.

One thing I would really like to work on, if it wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, is a bridge between Librivox, Gutenberg and IA where, for example, every new LV project that is cataloged into IA could also be automatically posted (as an audio source) in Gutenberg. And, all three data clouds could be synchronized so that each has all the same assets as the other two (within practical limits, of course).

This is just one example of what I see is possible, but other, wiser heads might find still other values to uniting LV, GB and IA resources.

Or, those wiser heads might just say "Bill, shut up and sit down." (I've heard that before.)
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Very interesting. (Where is Arte Johnson when you need him?!)

But seriously. Very interesting idea.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm coming in late to this conversation, but not all our projects use PG texts, and collections etc. have multiple sources.

I think that like us Wikipedia and PG might regard it as crossing the line between information and spamming and you would need their cooperation before adding links on their pages. And I suspect you may not get it.

Anne
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

annise wrote: November 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm I'm coming in late to this conversation, but not all our projects use PG texts, and collections etc. have multiple sources.

I think that like us Wikipedia and PG might regard it as crossing the line between information and spamming and you would need their cooperation before adding links on their pages. And I suspect you may not get it.

Anne
It almost goes without saying those organizations would need to be shown that allowing LV audio files to be linked on their pages is an asset to THEM as well as us.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hi all,

I’ve just discovered that these Zoom meetings are happening, and want to mention something that (after skimming this thread and doing a couple of forum searches) doesn’t seem to have come up yet: zoombombing.

For those who haven’t heard of this, it’s when unwanted guests enter a meeting (gate crash) and are generally disruptive. If the host hasn’t locked down control of the screen they will post... well, you can guess what they will post.

Hosts have been encouraged not to post meeting details, especially passwords, on the public internet. I notice that these details are being shared on our announcement thread.

It seems that we have been lucky so far. I don’t like to be a doomsayer but I think it is accurate to predict that if we continue to post details publically, it will only be a matter of time before our luck runs out.

Zoom is implementing a new tool, the At Risk Meeting Notifier, that:
scans public posts on social media sites and other public online resources for Zoom meeting links. When it finds publicly posted meeting information that indicates a given meeting may be at high risk of being disrupted, we notify account owners and admins by email.
Although some public meeting are more high profile and more “at risk” than others, it seems that zoombombers are not choosy and will disrupt any meetings they can, just for the fun of it.

Another new security feature was announced yesterday, which, although not a way to stop the bombers getting in, at least gives the user a quick way to halt the bombing:
To suspend a meeting, click the Security icon while on a call and then click “Suspend Participant Activities.” When you do, all video, audio, in-meeting chat, annotations, screen sharing, and recording will be suspended and all breakout rooms will end, which should shut down the Zoombomber’s activity. From there, Zoom will ask the host if they want to report a user, and if they do, that user will be ejected from the meeting and Zoom’s security team will be notified.
Anyway, I am glad these meetings are happening and that everything seems to have proceeded smoothly so far. I am only concerned that some of the quite serious problems others have experienced with zoom might befall us too, and want us to do everything we can to avoid that.
Rob Marland reader section | website
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

RobMarland wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:19 am Hi all,

I’ve just discovered that these Zoom meetings are happening, and want to mention something that (after skimming this thread and doing a couple of forum searches) doesn’t seem to have come up yet: zoombombing.

For those who haven’t heard of this, it’s when unwanted guests enter a meeting (gate crash) and are generally disruptive. If the host hasn’t locked down control of the screen they will post... well, you can guess what they will post.

Hosts have been encouraged not to post meeting details, especially passwords, on the public internet. I notice that these details are being shared on our announcement thread.

It seems that we have been lucky so far. I don’t like to be a doomsayer but I think it is accurate to predict that if we continue to post details publically, it will only be a matter of time before our luck runs out.

Zoom is implementing a new tool, the At Risk Meeting Notifier, that:
scans public posts on social media sites and other public online resources for Zoom meeting links. When it finds publicly posted meeting information that indicates a given meeting may be at high risk of being disrupted, we notify account owners and admins by email.
Although some public meeting are more high profile and more “at risk” than others, it seems that zoombombers are not choosy and will disrupt any meetings they can, just for the fun of it.

Another new security feature was announced yesterday, which, although not a way to stop the bombers getting in, at least gives the user a quick way to halt the bombing:
To suspend a meeting, click the Security icon while on a call and then click “Suspend Participant Activities.” When you do, all video, audio, in-meeting chat, annotations, screen sharing, and recording will be suspended and all breakout rooms will end, which should shut down the Zoombomber’s activity. From there, Zoom will ask the host if they want to report a user, and if they do, that user will be ejected from the meeting and Zoom’s security team will be notified.
Anyway, I am glad these meetings are happening and that everything seems to have proceeded smoothly so far. I am only concerned that some of the quite serious problems others have experienced with zoom might befall us too, and want us to do everything we can to avoid that.

Hello Rob,
I've hosted quite a few zoom calls, some of which had public credentials.

Zoombombing became a thing early in the lockdown when teenage students discovered they could attend a class held by zoom and share obscene
material. Zoom responded at that time by tightening the security controls.

There are three primary controls: password, waiting room and host vigilance. Passwords make meetings private unless shared. Waiting room means that a host admits people from the waiting room that they expect to see. Host vigilance is the model we are going for at our meetings. If I'm hosting, I will monitor the video of all attendees, and forceably stop the video/audio of anybody who behaves in an inappropriate fashion.

I think the risk of somebody wanting to attend our meetings to make trouble is vanishingly small. But that doesn't mean I won't be vigilent.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sorry to have missed today's performance. I had my times mixed up!

I'm lucky to know the correct day of the week.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No worries! We drafted everyone that showed up into reading a part, so you're probably glad you weren't there. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I could only stay for a few moments before the baby woke up so I missed all the fun stuff. Oh well! Will listen to the finished recording.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I saw you pop in then back out. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Is there a Zoom meeting this Sunday? (Nov. 22). Ooh..just realized that’s a famous (or infamous) day in U.S. history.

Anyway, hope to see lots of LibriVoxers there.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:25 pm Is there a Zoom meeting this Sunday? (Nov. 22). Ooh..just realized that’s a famous (or infamous) day in U.S. history.

Anyway, hope to see lots of LibriVoxers there.
Yes, Sunday NOON, Nov. 22. I'll be doing a tutorial on "The Basics of Cover Making", and will take up most of the hour, followed by Q & A. It will cover the basics all cover makers follow, and a few of my own techniques creating the 450+ covers I have made in the past 6 years. It will be for those who want to make covers, or for those just appreciative of or curious about the process.

We'll be using Adrian's professional account, so today is probably a good day for him to send Phil or Tricia the invitation to be posted on the Announcement Thread. I hope to see several of you there, and wouldn't mind a heads up here or via PM if you are planning to attend.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I plan to join the Zoom meeting this Sunday - Nov. 22.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚