[COMPLETE] The Elect Lady by George MacDonald - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JordanN wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm This book makes we want to attempt a solo, perhaps even providing alternate recordings for the chapters of this project, if my recording quality is considered high enough.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the book. Solos are quite rewarding, if you have the dedication. FYI, if you do decide to do a solo of this particular book, you wouldn't be able to re-use the same recordings of chapters you've already done. You would actually need to record them over again. I just mention it in case that is something that might sway your decision. :)
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JordanN wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm I recorded this today using my Blue Encore 300 condenser microphone into my Zoom H6, gain setting of 4 to try to keep the noise floor down. I edited in Audition.

I wanted to use my Neat King Bee, but it was just a bit too sensitive and wanted to pick up every bit of background noise on my non-studio home office.

I like the story so far. I have a few chapters I owe to another project; I hope to be able to swing back over to this project when I'm done with those. This book makes we want to attempt a solo, perhaps even providing alternate recordings for the chapters of this project, if my recording quality is considered high enough.

Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_01_macdonald_128kbps.mp3
Duration: 00:09:09

(Edit: re-rendered to target -14 LUFS.)
Thanks, Jordan. I know what you mean about sensitive mics being challenging at home. I can't even record on windy days here on the prairie because my mic picks up too much of the sound through the wall. But your sound quality ended up very clear and nice. If you want to up the quality of this chapter just a bit, there are a few background noises that could be removed (maybe your chair creaking?). The most noticeable spots that should edit out easily are at 2:43 and 2:56.

Also, "Chapter One" is stated twice in a row in the intro at 0:31 and 0:35. Please delete one of these.

Finally, though I see you edited your volume to a specific standard, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to de-amplify by 5-7 dB to fit LibriVox standards (which is 86–92 dB).

When you have completed these edits, please upload your file with the same file name and leave a note in the thread along with the new file duration so I know when to spot-check.

As mightyfelix stated, I'm also glad you're enjoying the book, and I will be glad to reserve more chapters for you if you find time in the future.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

HannahMary wrote: November 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm
JordanN wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm I recorded this today using my Blue Encore 300 condenser microphone into my Zoom H6, gain setting of 4 to try to keep the noise floor down. I edited in Audition.

I wanted to use my Neat King Bee, but it was just a bit too sensitive and wanted to pick up every bit of background noise on my non-studio home office.

I like the story so far. I have a few chapters I owe to another project; I hope to be able to swing back over to this project when I'm done with those. This book makes we want to attempt a solo, perhaps even providing alternate recordings for the chapters of this project, if my recording quality is considered high enough.

Chapter 1
Duration: 00:09:09

(Edit: re-rendered to target -14 LUFS.)
Thanks, Jordan. I know what you mean about sensitive mics being challenging at home. I can't even record on windy days here on the prairie because my mic picks up too much of the sound through the wall. But your sound quality ended up very clear and nice. If you want to up the quality of this chapter just a bit, there are a few background noises that could be removed (maybe your chair creaking?). The most noticeable spots that should edit out easily are at 2:43 and 2:56.

Also, "Chapter One" is stated twice in a row in the intro at 0:31 and 0:35. Please delete one of these.

Finally, though I see you edited your volume to a specific standard, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to de-amplify by 5-7 dB to fit LibriVox standards (which is 86–92 dB).

When you have completed these edits, please upload your file with the same file name and leave a note in the thread along with the new file duration so I know when to spot-check.

As mightyfelix stated, I'm also glad you're enjoying the book, and I will be glad to reserve more chapters for you if you find time in the future.
I have made the changes that you requested and targeted loudness to -20 LUFS.

Duration: 00:09:10:00
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JordanN wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thank you, Jordan. Section 1 is PL OK!
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

HannahMary wrote: November 6th, 2020, 1:28 pm
JordanN wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thank you, Jordan. Section 1 is PL OK!
Yay!!!
Ignitio

Post by Ignitio »

Chapter 4 is ready:)

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_04_macdonald_128kb.mp3

Duration: 6.45

Let me know if something is off.

Thanks!
“Everything I am offered seeks to deliver man from the weight of his own life. But as I watch the great birds
flying heavily through the sky at Djemila, it is precisely a certain weight of life I ask for and obtain.”

― Albert Camus
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Ignitio wrote: November 15th, 2020, 2:02 pm Chapter 4 is ready:)

Duration: 6.45

Let me know if something is off.

Thanks!
Thanks, Ignitio! The only edit needed is to add 3 seconds of silence at the end of the file to bring it up to the 5-second target. When you re-upload the lengthened file with the same file name, please let me know your new file duration.
~ Hannah
Ignitio

Post by Ignitio »

Just added the three seconds and uploaded the file.

Duration: 06:48
“Everything I am offered seeks to deliver man from the weight of his own life. But as I watch the great birds
flying heavily through the sky at Djemila, it is precisely a certain weight of life I ask for and obtain.”

― Albert Camus
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Ignitio wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:22 am Just added the three seconds and uploaded the file.

Duration: 06:48
Thank you, Ignitio! Chapter 4 is PL OK. Let me know if you want to reserve any other chapters.
~ Hannah
Ignitio

Post by Ignitio »

Let's do another one. Can I claim chapter 14?

― Albert Camus
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Ignitio wrote: November 18th, 2020, 4:53 am Let's do another one. Can I claim chapter 14?
It's yours. Thanks!
~ Hannah
aydrogekistky

Post by aydrogekistky »

Hello :D

Could I claim chapters 12 and 13?
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

aydrogekistky wrote: December 24th, 2020, 6:27 am Hello :D

Could I claim chapters 12 and 13?
Great, thanks aydrogekistky! And Merry Christmas!
~ Hannah
Jemwolf

Post by Jemwolf »

If there is another chapter left, I'd like to read one. No preference, I love George McDonald.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Jemwolf wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:54 pm If there is another chapter left, I'd like to read one. No preference, I love George McDonald.
Hello, Jemwolf, and welcome to LibriVox! It's always good to find more George MacDonald fans!

The next available chapter in this book is number 9, so I have reserved that for you. It is also one of the shorter chapters, which is always nice when first starting out recording for LV and getting the hang of things here.

Please make sure to complete the 1-minute-test process before starting to record for books - applying the edits directed over in that thread and re-uploading your corrections to be checked again. That will save a lot of time in the long run.

Once you've been "okayed" there, enjoy starting chapter 9! And just ask if you have any questions. I'll help you find someone with the answers if I don't have them.
~ Hannah