[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Wayne and Marya. Be back with you shortly.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 05 Conditions of Life, Part 1

Interesting chapter, very well read, thank you Marya. There are a few things that need your attention:

Your file name is incorrect (lacking the underline between carnegie_128kb. Make your changes below, then upload again using the correct file name. To avoid file naming errors, it is best to copy and paste the file name from the first post, just changing the section number.

Volume of the first half from 0 to 14:45 is 87.3db, everything after is 92db. I recommend equalizing these sections by Amplifying the first half +1.7, and deamplifying the rest -3. In Audacity, highlight the portion desired, then go Effects/Amplify/and fill in the top box/Allow Clipping/OK.

The whole file could benefit by a bit of Noise Reduction. Grab about 4 seconds of silence from the Outro, then go Effects/Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile, then grab the whole file and go Effects/Noise Reduction/12,6,3,Reduce/OK. These are the gentle settings that I use. There is a video tutorial in the LibrivoxWiki about this.

The long Eigenrac quote at the beginning should be in quotes, or it seems to be Carnegie speaking. As listeners can't see the page, I might say what they would see "The chapter begins with this quote by Eigenrac, quote ....... end quote". The other quotations throughout the section are pretty much OK without quote/endquotes, as the author usually announces the name of who he is quoting, and you pause sufficiently after the end of the quote to differentiate the speaker, or you use a British accent.

6:27 distance from the coast, you say road
25:31 would not lead to universal refusal, you say lend

POI, One of my next projects is to be Loom and Spindle, the story of the Lowell Factory girls mentioned in this chapter.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 18 corrections. Hope this does the trick. I always appreciate your PLs.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_18_carnegie_128kb.mp3 (20:20)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 13th, 2020, 11:39 am PL Notes 05 Conditions of Life, Part 1

Interesting chapter, very well read, thank you Marya. There are a few things that need your attention:

snip>h this quote by Eigenrac, quote ....... end quote". The other quotations throughout the section are pretty much OK without quote/endquotes, <snip>

"Eigenrac" is Carnegie spelled backward, Yes? No?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

It certainly does, Kevin. Thank you. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:03 pm It certainly does, Kevin. Thank you. :D
Kevin?!?!?!?!?
Kevin my royal red patootie!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

5.1 with fixes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_05_carnegie_128kb.mp3

30:04

Never heard about the Lowell factory girls, that sounds interesting!

I so carefully read "eigenrac" to get it right and didn't realize it was Carnegie backwards...is that a real person or is he inventing an authority? I'll have to try that - Ayram
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:16 pm
msfry wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:03 pm It certainly does, Kevin. Thank you. :D
Kevin?!?!?!?!?
Kevin my royal red patootie!
No, I meant Kevin's file was PL OK. Your revelation that Carnegie spelled backwards is Eigenrac, was surprising. Good catch!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 06, Conditions of Life, Part 2

Same as 05, your file name is incorrect (lacking the underline between carnegie_128kb. Make your changes below, then upload again using the correct file name.

Intro: reduce silence to 1 second.
around 7:40, disputing upon the correctness of a charge of 5 pounds, you say chart
From beginning to around 8:03, your pace seems much faster than throughout the rest of 06, and all of 05. To keep them consistent, I recommend using your Tempo Effect to slow this segment down a bit. Grab the segment, Go Effect/Change Tempo/-2. This will also open up some of those partially swallowed vowels that happen when we talk fast.
8:03, a 3 second delay seems a bit long.
9:34 the stolid ignorance, you say solid
18:05 a 4.5 second delay is too long
26:51 a 9 second delay is far too long
27:02 the Outro only requires 5 seconds of silence.

Tip: When making adjustments that involve time, it's best to begin at the end of the file and work your way backwards. Thus the errors can be found where the PL'er cites the time.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Marya999 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:17 pm 5.1 with fixes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_05_carnegie_128kb.mp3

30:04

Never heard about the Lowell factory girls, that sounds interesting!

I so carefully read "eigenrac" to get it right and didn't realize it was Carnegie backwards...is that a real person or is he inventing an authority? I'll have to try that - Ayram
Elehcim Yrf :shock:
Mayah92

Post by Mayah92 »

Hi,

Can I claim section 8, the chapter about Education?
Let's give Peace a chance. :wink:
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 02, The American People

Fascinating chapter, lots I've never thought about, nicely read. There are a few items needing your attention.

7:36 And Nelson's antipode, you say Napoleon
14:05 missing text "We shall give mankind," said Secretary Seward, " an example of such magnanimity as it has never seen."
15:26 is the alacrity with which they adopt American ideas. You say a-clarity.

21:15 - 21:53 and 29:00 - 29:45 (pages 27-28) Alas, we are not allowed to delete text, so in areas where dollar amounts are cited, followed by pound equivalents, we need to read the pound equivalents in.
24:45 you say " it takes away from the best of the population", delete from
25:30 you say "so long will be the best of the workers", delete be
38:32 repeat whom, who, delete whom

Tip: When making adjustments that involve time, it's best to begin at the end of the file and work your way backwards. Thus the errors can be found where the PL'er cites the time.
Last edited by msfry on November 15th, 2020, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Mayah92 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 11:43 am Hi,

Can I claim section 8, the chapter about Education?
Certainly, and welcome!
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have uploaded Section 20, and need a volunteer to PL it for me. How about it Wayne. Fair trade?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_20_carnegie_128kb.mp3 36:49
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Section 24 (Chapter 18, part 1) is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_24_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time is 31:59.

Joanne