[COMPLETE] Report on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: November 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm Tricia, I'm assuming that I need not read the References on p. 162. Also, I assume the same regarding the copies of reports on pp. 157 and 158.

Mission Control, please confirm.
Right - do not read the two SRB Critical Items List facsimiles, and skip the references at the very end of the chapter.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kwalk2006

Post by kwalk2006 »

section 12 please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Claim entered!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/challengeraccident_16_commission_128kb.mp3 (37:05)

Tricia, I recorded most of this this morning when my voice was surprisingly low and/or gravelly. I think this comes after 9:00 or so. Should I try to fix this with the treble/bass effect? (I know nothing about it, though. I had trouble understanding even an equalizer when I first got a sophisticated stereo. It's funny, but I use a small little .mp3 player now to hear music.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! I'll take a listen and let you know. :)
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

I'd like to claim sections 8-11 (Chapter 5) please.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added the claim. :)
marwalk

Post by marwalk »

Hi, TriciaG. I would be interested in doing Section 0, Prefatory Material. Would that also include the title page, or is there another way to introduce the work? Any other special instructions for this section?

Thanks,
Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Claim entered!

In the intro/outro, instead of saying "section zero", you can say "Prefatory Material". ("Section zero" sounds so weird to me.) ;)

The title of the project is basically the title page, so don't read that. Read pages ii (In Memoriam), iii (letter - I'd say read the letterhead but not the preprinted footer/address and phone number), iv (names and titles of the commission members), and 1 (preface).
marwalk

Post by marwalk »

Sounds good. :-)
Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm Section 16

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/challengeraccident_16_commission_128kb.mp3 (37:05)

Tricia, I recorded most of this this morning when my voice was surprisingly low and/or gravelly. I think this comes after 9:00 or so. Should I try to fix this with the treble/bass effect? (I know nothing about it, though. I had trouble understanding even an equalizer when I first got a sophisticated stereo. It's funny, but I use a small little .mp3 player now to hear music.)
16 PL OK. I did hear a slight difference in tone, but it went away fairly quickly. It's fine the way it is. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: November 14th, 2020, 5:34 pm
KevinS wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm Section 16

16 PL OK. I did hear a slight difference in tone, but it went away fairly quickly. It's fine the way it is. :)
Great! Thank you!
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

I take it I'm not supposed to read the captions of the various charts? Also I don't know what to do with the chronology that begins on page 110 in the pdf.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Right - skip the captions.

Regarding the table: it looks fairly straightforward to read. Something like this:
Chronology of Events Related to Temperature Concerns Prior to Launch of Challenger (STS 51-L).

Time, 12:36 PM (EST) January 27, 1986. Key Participants: NASA Project Managers and Contractor Support Personnel (including Morton Thiokol). Event: Launch Scrub. Decision is made to scrub due to high crosswinds at launch site.

Time: Approximately 1:00 PM (EST). Key Participants: Same as above. Event: Post-Scrub Discussion. All appropriate personnel are polled as
to feasibility to launch again with 24-hour cycle and it results in no SRB constraints for launch at 9:38 AM, 28 January 1986. Request is made for all participants to report any constraints.

Time: Approximately 1:00 PM (EST). Key Participants: Kennedy Space Center, (1) Boyd C. Brinton, Manager, Space Booster Project, MTI; (2) Lawrence O. Wear, Manager, SRM Project Office, Marshall. Event: Conversation. Wear asks Brinton if Thiokol had any concerns about predicted low temperatures and about what Thiokol had said about cold temperature effects following January 1985 flight 51-C.

Key Participants: Morton Thiokol, Utah, (1) Arnold R. Thompson, Supervisor, Rocket Motor Cases; (2) Robert Ebeling, Manager, Ignition System and Final Assembly SRM Project. Event: Brinton telephones Thompson and other MTI personnel to ask them to determine if there were concerns
based on predicted weather conditions. Ebeling and other engineers are notified and asked for evaluation.
Etc. :)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."