What is your studio like?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My status: Currently Googling "fruit rats."
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

My "studio" is the sunroom at the back of the house. Since it was originally the rear-verandah which was enclosed to form an indoor room many years ago, it has a tin roof. Which obviously means that the slightest bit of rain precludes any recording. So does a visit such as we got today from this fellow outside the window, because his presence sends all the resident nesting mynah birds into a frenzy swooping him till they drive him off. It's actually a White-faced Heron, probably looking for frogs of which there are a number in our back yard.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IFVQdNBbq_zHfsRIIBCY-BS1SMhT0DaS/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I work in a converted walk-in closet. It’s about 4.5 feet square in a spare bedroom away from the HVAC and laundry, so it’s pretty quiet. And it’s a huge improvement over my setup in our previous house, which was a plywood box in the garage, where I froze from November to February.

The walls, ceiling and door are covered in inexpensive acoustic foam I got from Amazon; the wood flooring covered with a UVA foam pad. I had trouble with reverb at first, and just kept adding foam everywhere until it sounded decent.

My gear is on a heavy folding table with an EVA foam pad on top. There’s no outlet, so I have to work entirely on battery on the iPad I read from and MacBook I record into. The fan in MacBook never comes on, so noise isn’t a problem. I tested it thoroughly inside the room and running a long USB to it outside the room and there was absolutely no difference, although no one seems to want to believe me.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

sjmarky wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm ... although no one seems to want to believe me.
I believe you.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

sjmarky wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm It’s about 4.5 feet square
I seem to recall those were the approximate dimensions of Snoopy's doghouse, inside which he somehow managed to get a billiard table, a fridge full of root-beer and goodness knows what else.

Cheers,
Chris
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:16 pm
sjmarky wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm It’s about 4.5 feet square
I seem to recall those were the approximate dimensions of Snoopy's doghouse, inside which he somehow managed to get a billiard table, a fridge full of root-beer and goodness knows what else.

Cheers,
Chris
Well, it does have a high ceiling so I guess I could fit it all vertically.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
loon

Post by loon »

My 'studio' is a rectangular room with plain sheetrock walls - the only soundproofing is a quilt hanging in front of my desk. On the plus side my computer is fanless with no spinning disk, and the neighborhood is typically quiet. I record very close to my mic (Shure Beta 57A) and don't really have a problem with echoing.

Photo:
https://fullloon.com/setup.jpg
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

loon wrote: November 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm My 'studio' is a rectangular room with plain sheetrock walls - the only soundproofing is a quilt hanging in front of my desk. On the plus side my computer is fanless with no spinning disk, and the neighborhood is typically quiet. I record very close to my mic (Shure Beta 57A) and don't really have a problem with echoing.

Photo:
I wish my studio had cake.
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

loon wrote: November 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm My 'studio' is a rectangular room with plain sheetrock walls - the only soundproofing is a quilt hanging in front of my desk. On the plus side my computer is fanless with no spinning disk, and the neighborhood is typically quiet. I record very close to my mic (Shure Beta 57A) and don't really have a problem with echoing.

Photo:
Are you sure you can't get any more screens in? If I was the envious type, I think I'd have screen envy.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

adrianstephens wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:59 pm

Photo:
Are you sure you can't get any more screens in? If I was the envious type, I think I'd have screen envy.
If Cape Canaveral loses contact with an ISS-bound launch, he's gotta be ready to take over. :wink:

Chris
loon

Post by loon »

adrianstephens wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:59 pm Are you sure you can't get any more screens in? If I was the envious type, I think I'd have screen envy.
I did have to turn the laptop and the larger iPad back in when I retired recently. For the most part I'm down to 3 screens now.

The cake, alas, is also now gone. It has been replaced by a mug of lukewarm tea when I'm reading.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
andybeddy

Post by andybeddy »

My studio is my little log cabin that I had built at the bottom of my garden when we moved into our house 2 years ago. It is my sanctuary and also the place the good lady "B" banished all my books and computers to. In front of me, behind my pc is a large shelf full of books which helps to dampen the echo. I was getting a "roomy" sound until I hung a couple of old duvets behind my chair. They work brilliantly. Now all I have to contend with are the pigeons that use the roof of my cabin to "get a bit fruity" on. I remember recording a particularly serious piece for my church which was meant to end with a dramatic climax. all went well until I payed it back and all I could hear was the "coo coo" of a pigeon after the dramatic climax!!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

andybeddy wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:11 am I remember recording a particularly serious piece for my church which was meant to end with a dramatic climax. all went well until I payed it back and all I could hear was the "coo coo" of a pigeon after the dramatic climax!!
If the pigeon had peroxided his feathers and was carrying an olive leaf twig, could it be he wanted to audition? :D

Chris
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

My new audio interface, the SSL 2, arrived today. It’s pretty neat. I sold my Zoom H6 to pay for it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHxldPmFU1u/?igshid=125ydq6t33kn2
schrm

Post by schrm »

there are no pictures to be posted, as i am ashamed of my ability to keep things in chaos.

i bought two wooden shelves (originally advertised as being for the cellar, who knows why? they were for my living room...), some blankets and wooden poles and built a sort of blanket fort.
including 3 cat caves (is that correct english?), 4 cat hammocks, 2 viewing platforms, 2 climbing aids.
in this blanket fort is my wooden desk (old, but ruined and therefore i got it free), some desk-constructs for pens and stuff, two nightstands, my laptop and a focusrite scarlet bundle setup (because i saw a video, where a guy told the internets, he has bought this and thinks it is a good setup - and i liked his voice, hoped it resembles my own voice).

not included in this list are several lists like pens and colours, cables, medical stuff and my cats, whch are able to snore that loud, that i have to stop recording.and that is happening way more often than i ever hoped and planned for. because, i thought it was totally cool to combine the shelves possibilities. and i thought that it is supercool that my cats can use this, too.
which it is.
:-)

but, in summer i discovered, that blankets may be rather hot and i need frresh air, from time to time.
so ich draped the blankets in a different way, to keep holes to be able to breath and..
well, summarized, i have a desk with some blankets around.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275