Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here is Princess Zuleika:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gulzara_zuleika_01_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gulzara_zuleika_03_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gulzara_zuleika_04_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gulzara_zuleika_05_128kb.mp3

I did not realize how challenging this language was until I started reading...! It's very like Shakespeare. Very beautiful when you get into the flow, but requires some intense concentration!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ktaylor07 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 1:32 pm I did not realize how challenging this language was until I started reading...! It's very like Shakespeare. Very beautiful when you get into the flow, but requires some intense concentration!
You did a wonderful reading, nonetheless!

In Act 3, at 6:54, the original is "But, mark me:" instead of met. It might be possible to just delete the t sound when editing.

In Act 5, at 1:33, original has "hist", instead of list. I had to google that, I didn't know the word. Google says it's an archaic exclamation, used to attract attention or call for silence. But "list" also works, short for listen, so it can be left as is.

And everything else sounds good!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:16 am
ktaylor07 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 1:32 pm I did not realize how challenging this language was until I started reading...! It's very like Shakespeare. Very beautiful when you get into the flow, but requires some intense concentration!

In Act 3, at 6:54, the original is "But, mark me:" instead of met. It might be possible to just delete the t sound when editing.

In Act 5, at 1:33, original has "hist", instead of list. I had to google that, I didn't know the word. Google says it's an archaic exclamation, used to attract attention or call for silence. But "list" also works, short for listen, so it can be left as is.

Thanks! I really love this role and this very, very, very obscure little play. As I said in the summary, it's unique for the era it was written for a couple of different reasons.

Words like "hist" were a big challenge when I was copying the original to what would become the Google Doc version -- Microsoft Word would go behind me and "correct" archaic and Victorian terms to words it was more comfortable with. Then, because these words were spelled correctly and frequently made sense, they were hard to spot when I went back to check my work. On top of that, there are typos in the original, illegible spots, and placement that is very confusing to read... but, you're seeing all that now. Thanks for wading through this challenging typography!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm actually impressed with the work you've put into the google doc! despite the typos. :D
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 27th, 2020, 11:13 am I'm actually impressed with the work you've put into the google doc! despite the typos. :D
Thanks! As a dyslexic, typos are with me always! :D

I plan to write some blog entries on the original production of this play and hope that those, the script, and this recording will make this text more accessible to academics and performers interested in the history and development of Victorian melodrama. This script is like a very, very elaborate version of the sort of plays Jo March and her sisters put on in "Little Women" or the tableau vivant that Evelyn and her sister Ellen put on in "Evelyn; A Heart Unmasked."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Wow. We'll be able to say we were there as you started all this effort.

Thanks. Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ToddHW wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:20 pm Wow. We'll be able to say we were there as you started all this effort.

Thanks. Todd
Well, the amount of fame and glory involved in Early Victorian Research projects is bit limited, but... :D :D
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:16 am

corrected files uploaded
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Corrected files PL OK!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I apologize for the delay in getting the corrections done and uploaded. :oops: The day after your post, my internet went down and it sounds like it may be down for as long as another week. :roll: I am sooo sorry. I will get them in as soon as I possibly can.

This post sent on a borrowed laptop.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kalamareader wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:10 am I apologize for the delay in getting the corrections done and uploaded. :oops: The day after your post, my internet went down and it sounds like it may be down for as long as another week. :roll: I am sooo sorry. I will get them in as soon as I possibly can.

This post sent on a borrowed laptop.

Wayne
No problem! No rush! :)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi,

Thanks for reprieve. One thing just came to my attention. I was looking at the new one you put up, Armand, and noticed the name of the author. As both this one and Armand were written before Anna married William Ritchie, should she be referred to, in the Stage Directions, as "Mowatt", as her name appears in the script, or "Richie"? I know we are supposed to read the script "as written', that is the source of the question.

Wayne
Wayne
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kalamareader wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 2:16 pm Hi,

Thanks for reprieve. One thing just came to my attention. I was looking at the new one you put up, Armand, and noticed the name of the author. As both this one and Armand were written before Anna married William Ritchie, should she be referred to, in the Stage Directions, as "Mowatt", as her name appears in the script, or "Richie"? I know we are supposed to read the script "as written', that is the source of the question.

Wayne
Since she wrote this before she was married, I would say "Mowatt." It just came up as "Ritchie" because that's how Librivox's library computer has her listed.

Additionally, in her day, she became famous under the name "Mrs. Mowatt." Even after she was married, journalists would frequently identify her that in parentheses way so that people would know who they were talking about. Therefore, I would go with reading the script "as written."
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:thumbs:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wayne