[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: October 29th, 2020, 12:08 pm PL Notes Section 18
The "republic of art". I like that.
I was so hoping not to find anything worth mentioning, but here are two wee things that could use straightening:
4:11 it is as free, as unstained of these injustices as . . ., you say, as unrestrained as these injustices
18:45 In portraiture they are equal to the English and French painters, and in some respects they excel the latter. You invert French and English, implying they excel the English. What Whig would stand for that! :shock:
I wondered if I should do the 'quote, unquote' thing. I would rather not and it seems you agree. Let me know if you think otherwise.

And thanks for the corrections! I'll get to them pronto.
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

JordanN wrote: October 9th, 2020, 1:26 pm I’d like to take section 9, please.
I did try to record myself reading this a few times and couldn’t get past the first page. The author’s word order is challenging. I may come back to this book at a later time, but for now I’d like to return my claimed section to the pool so that someone better skilled may record it — and more importantly, so that it will no longer weigh on my conscience as overdue ;-).
msfry

Post by msfry »

JordanN wrote: October 30th, 2020, 2:25 pm
JordanN wrote: October 9th, 2020, 1:26 pm I’d like to take section 9, please.
I did try to record myself reading this a few times and couldn’t get past the first page. The author’s word order is challenging. I may come back to this book at a later time, but for now I’d like to return my claimed section to the pool so that someone better skilled may record it — and more importantly, so that it will no longer weigh on my conscience as overdue ;-).
Don't worry about it. This happen. It's happened to me. Not a problem. Consider yourself liberated, go forth, and choose things that you feel better about recording.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

I can take Chapter 18 (sections 24 and 25).

Joanne T.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Joanne. 24 and 25 are yours. :)
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

I love this book! Could I start with section 6?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Marya999 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 1:54 pm I love this book! Could I start with section 6?
Do you mean Section 8, Chapter 6, Education, or Section 6, which is Part 2 of Chapter 4, Conditions of Life? If you do choose Chapter 4, I am asking readers to read the whole chapter, Sections 5 and 6. That's an awful lot of material for a new recorder to tackle, so I hope you mean Section 8, which is still about a 30 minute file. Let me know.

I took a listen to your test#2, which sounds fine to me.

Please let me know by what name you would like to appear in our catalogued books. Could be your username, your Real Name, or something else. Example: I am Michele Fry in the catalog, msfry is my username.
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Haha, no, I did mean section 6, I practiced reading sections 5 and 6 a lot lately getting my setup together. I was hoping to record something this week. I just didn't want to take two parts as a new reader.

msfry wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Marya999 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 1:54 pm I love this book! Could I start with section 6?
Do you mean Section 8, Chapter 6, Education, or Section 6, which is Part 2 of Chapter 4, Conditions of Life? If you do choose Chapter 4, I am asking readers to read the whole chapter, Sections 5 and 6. That's an awful lot of material for a new recorder to tackle, so I hope you mean Section 8, which is still about a 30 minute file. Let me know.

I took a listen to your test#2, which sounds fine to me.

Please let me know by what name you would like to appear in our catalogued books. Could be your username, your Real Name, or something else. Example: I am Michele Fry in the catalog, msfry is my username.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Marya999 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 2:45 pm Haha, no, I did mean section 6, I practiced reading sections 5 and 6 a lot lately getting my setup together. I was hoping to record something this week. I just didn't want to take two parts as a new reader.
Ok, then, I'll assign you both parts 5 and 6 of the Chapter 4. Do one first, then based on how that goes, you can still take the other one. It is one chapter. What name do you want?
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Thanks I'll get started on it right away. ☺️ Marya James.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Marya999 wrote: November 6th, 2020, 5:06 pm Thanks I'll get started on it right away. ☺️ Marya James.
Okay, you are in the catalog and have a generous 2 months to complete your rather long sections -- of course Librivox policies are far more generous than I am as BC, hoping for my project to be completed a s a p, so I hope you don't take that long. So if you hit a snag please let me know and I can help you through your ambitious first attempts. I'm much like you, and did the very same thing myself! :mrgreen:
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I've listened to Librivox for years, huge fan. Thanks for letting me do this section- it made a big difference having previously been through the material. You were tottttttally right however, I greatly underestimated the editing time. Hopefully it'll get easier in time!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_06_carnegie128kb.mp3 27:11
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, and I look forward to listening soon.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi gals,

Well, I finally have internet, and here is section 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_02_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time: 38.52

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Part 5:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_05_carnegie128kb.mp3

30:00

This book is so fun. "Offering a five dollar bounty for wolf scalps." That would look good on a t-shirt.