The Revolt of Democracy (1913), by Alfred Russel Wallace

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
smlrsmn

Post by smlrsmn »

I plan on recording The Revolt of Democracy" (1913), I am just not sure if it is public domain. It is on archive.org
Sam
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Yes, it's Public Domain, as long as you read from a copy printed in 1922 or earlier. (Later editions may have edits that lead to a new copyright.)

It looks like it's roughly 20,000 words, or about 2-2.5 hours of finished recording. That's a good length for a first solo.

We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

We also recommend that you claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo. ;)

Holler if you have further questions!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
smlrsmn

Post by smlrsmn »

Great idea I will join a group first. I will post a test as soon as I get my microphone in the post.
Sam
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai