[Complete] Antoinette Romances, Vol 4: Taking the Bastile [Dumas] - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

The Marie Antoinette Romances, Vol 4: Taking the Bastile by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by Henry L. Williams (1842 - )

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/antoinette-romances-vol-4-taking-the-bastile-by-alexandre-dumas/

This 4th volume of the Marie Antoinette Romances begins several years after the close of "The Queen’s Necklace.” It describes the events leading up to and including the storming of the Bastile. Past plots of Count Balsamo (aka, Cogliostro) to destroy the French monarchy are resurrected by the mysterious Dr. Gilbert – a student of Balsamo’s occult arts and the Enlightenment philosopher, Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Considered by many critics to be a highlight of the Marie Antoinette Romances, Dumas tells this quintessential story of the French Revolution through the lens of the people. As Dumas writes, “The Bastile was the seal of feudalism on the brow of Paris … the monument which had for five centuries weighed like an incubus on the breast of France—a rock of Sisyphus. Less confident than the Titan in her power, France had never thought to throw it off.” Here, history shows us the Titanic power that a people can wield! (jvanstan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45424
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 26
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1891
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; Crime & Mystery Fiction; Suspense, Espionage, Political & Thrillers; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: magic, french revolution, supernatural, Marie Antoinette, hypnotism, reign of terror, sorcery, balsamo, bourbon, cogliostro

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of the Marie Antoinette Romances, Volume 4: Taking the Bastile. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Taking the Bastile by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Henry L. Williams [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Taking the Bastile by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Henry L. Williams. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of the Marie Antoinette Romances, Volume 4: Taking the Bastile by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Henry L. Williams."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename marieantoinette4_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. marieantoinette4_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Antoinette Romances, Vol 4: Taking the Bastile [Dumas] - lt

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Patty Marie has graciously offered to DPL this project :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Lynne and Patty Marie! Alrighty, I'm ready to jump back into this series :9:

I've uploaded the first 5 chapters - ready for PL :D

Hope all is well,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I've seen the uploads, John, but I need to run off right now to see about a street cat that might need rescuing. I'll get them later. :roll:
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I've marked sections 1, 2, and 3 PL OK because they all are by LV rules. It's entirely optional if you want to correct "hearth" at 0:18 in section 2 to rhyme with Darth in Darth Vader https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hearth .

I'm listening to sections 4 and 5 again because there was something I noted in one of them but can't remember what. Second listenings always help me solidify my comprehension of the plot and knowledge of the characters. :)
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie! Yeah, the whole h-earth v h-arth pronunciation thing always gets me. Everyone down this way says "h-earth" and its just stuck to me :shock: I think I'm ok with it as is, though.

I've also added the next five chapters :D This is a pretty good storyline, so far, I think :9:

Hope all is well,
John
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Patty Marie - I've added 5 more sections :) It brings us through the event itself (the Bastile falling) :shock:

Hope all is well,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got them. I've been kind of distracted over the election and threats of new corona lock downs both in the US and where I live--I'm very much opposed; think they're more harmful to most of the people than is the virus.

Sections 4 and 5 seem to be pl ok, unless you want to correct the pronunciation of "benignant" in section 5 at 8:32: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/benignant .

Sections 6 and 7 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

PL notes:

Section 8
5:26 Calvary/cavalry https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/cavalry

Section 9
7:36 corpse/corps (pronounced "core") https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/corps

Sections 10 through 13 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

pattymarie wrote: November 15th, 2020, 2:02 pm I've been kind of distracted over the election and threats of new corona lock downs both in the US and where I live--I'm very much opposed; think they're more harmful to most of the people than is the virus.
Thanks Patty Marie :) Yeah, the election is quite worthy of being distracting! As is the uptick in coronavirus. I agree that the lockdowns are more harmful to communities than the virus - suicides, drug abuse, family issues, etc... The lockdowns have become inhumane. So, I understand and sympathize.

I've got a few more sections uploaded and I will revise the others soon.

I might have all the sections done soon :)
Best wishes,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 14 PL notes. 5:48 nineteenth/ninetieth. This should be making you laugh if you remember the context. If not you'll laugh when you hear or read it again.

Section 15 is PL OK.

I've been taking total breaks of at least 24 hours at a time from news and the internet to keep from going crazy over all that's going on. :roll:
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 16 through 20 are PL OK. :)
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks much, Patty Marie! I addressed the spots in the previous sections and added the rest of the sections :clap: Soon, I'll get the next volume up and ready.
pattymarie wrote: November 30th, 2020, 9:56 am I've been taking total breaks of at least 24 hours at a time from news and the internet to keep from going crazy over all that's going on. :roll:
Yeah, me too. I take longer breaks though ;) Its interesting as I started just taking a day or two off from news a few years ago, then, over the past few years, I've (for better or worse) pretty much eliminated news from my life... and replaced it with librivox, lol!

All the best,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 7, 8, 14 and 21 through 26 are PL OK. I guess this is ready for the catalogue. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did Dumas go on to write another volume as he promises at the end of this one?

edit: I've found "The Countess of Charny" at Gutenberg.org. Are we on to that next? I'm ready to dpl it.
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I’ll get on this later this morning