Books Written by African-American Authors (not yet in the catalogue)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

I'd like to adopt Silas X. Floyd’s Short Stories for Colored People Both Old and Young for a solo project. Thanks!

I put it on the Launch Pad, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83123
Last edited by kirk202 on October 11th, 2020, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Just a note: I am not sure if it matters that I have recorded Jesus Christ Has Negro Blood in his Veins. I assume no note is made because there might be others interested in its being recorded again. Jim :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Jim and Kirk,
I've removed both of these titles from the first post, since it's designed to be a list of things not already in the catalog.
MaryAnn
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Ok. I wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks, MaryAnn. Jim :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have adopted the one-act play by Katherine D. Tillman mentioned in the first post for the current one-act play collection.

Heirs of Slavery: A Little Drama of To-Day is a very short drama with very short roles (mostly female). If you'd like to help adding Katherine to our catalog, please claim a role here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81777

:D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Silverquill has launched this as a group project:
- The Negro in Literature and Art in the United States (Benjamin Griffith Brawley)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35063
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83366
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

MaryAnn, I have adopted Finding a Way Out by Robert R. Moton. Jim
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for letting us know Jim. I'll update the list in the first post.
MaryAnn
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank you! Jim :thumbs:
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Hi. I would like to record: Reminiscences of my life in camp with the 33d United States colored troops, late 1st S. C. volunteers, by Susie King Taylor

https://archive.org/details/reminiscencesofm00tayl

Please let me know if I can do this, and, if so, how I should go about it. I have recorded short stories, but not a whole book, but I would like to do this whole book. If I get the go ahead, do I submit it here, chapter by chapter for PL, or do I post it elsewhere?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give a newbie!

Best regards,
Ceri
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That's wonderful Ceri! It looks like a fascinating book. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Head over here (this is a thread on the New Projects Launch Pad): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

This thread should give you all the info you need to start a new solo project. If you have any questions, please just ask. There is a bit of a learning curve to doing your first solo, but there are also a lot of helpful people who can answer any questions.

Have fun!
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

The book Ceri proposed to read was not listed in the first post ... but in checking it out, I noticed that Archive had included "Afro-American author" in its metadata. I've searched Archive for this phrase and added about 10 more books to the list in the first post where this was indicated in the metadata. In most cases, the book makes clear that it was written by an African-American author. Where that is not clear, I've taken Archive's word for it.
MaryAnn
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Update: recently I (and Dave my main support) have completed and added to available Works Written by African-America Authors: Finding a Way Out, Masterpieces of Negro Eloquence, and The Mob Violence and the American Negro. Jim
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for posting Jim. I've removed Masterpieces and Mob Violence from the first post. I didn't see Finding a Way Out listed in the first post, but let me know if I've missed it.
MaryAnn
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sorry. I see the earlier post I sent informing you I was signing up for it. Thanks for the other two. Hope all is well. Jim :)