[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Joanne, I tend to prefer scanned text to OCR generated text for accuracy, but I guess if it's the same version (same publisher, same year) it would be OK. Let's ask Tricia.

Do you know how to increase the page size in Internet Archive? There are a little set of icons in lower right, a rectangle for single page display, and a magnifying glass + to make it so large I can see it without my glasses. Then using the little WizMouse app (free off the internet), you can scroll up and down the pages with a flick of the mouse wheel, with your Audacity screen floating on top undisturbed.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The date, publisher, etc. are the same, but the page layout (and hence page numbers) are different. Perhaps it's simply a different edition, but to be certain of that, one would have to compare the wording of the texts to ensure there were no changes.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:56 am The date, publisher, etc. are the same, but the page layout (and hence page numbers) are different. Perhaps it's simply a different edition, but to be certain of that, one would have to compare the wording of the texts to ensure there were no changes.
And so, the risk would be that I have to PL using my stated text, and notate any discrepancies to the text Joanne reads from. Could go seamlessly, could cause problems that Joanne has to fix.

Ball's in your court, Joanne! :mrgreen:
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

I do know how to increase the size of text in Archive, but the Archive version has other problems that size alone won't help.

I always PL my own work before posting, and will PL it using the Archive version to eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) the chances of any difference between the two versions.

Thanks, both of you.

Joanne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay. I look forward to getting up some steam on this project! Joanne, did you notice my Preface needs PL'ing? Would you do that for me when you get a few minutes. It's short, sweet, to the point, and I'd appreciate it mightily. :)
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Section 3 (chapter 3, part 1) is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_03_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time is 25:28.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

And section 4 (chapter 3, part 2), is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_04_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time on this part is 38:02. I'll PL the preface in a bit--have to move upstairs so the cat can sit on my lap.

Joanne
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

The Preface is PL OK! Michele and Tricia, I don't have access to the MW, so one of you will need to toggle it for me.

Thanks,

Joanne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for that PL, Joanne, and now I have your two sections to listen to. We are moving right along! :D

As to MW access, only the MC, BC and DPL have access, and usually the MC does not interfere. Still, when the DPL (in this case me) records something, someone else on the project is generally invited to help. I think it adds nicely to the "teamwork" aspect of our projects, and sometimes provides a training ground for new readers to dip into the PL'ing process.

I'll mark mine PL OK based on your OK.
Last edited by msfry on October 28th, 2020, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 18

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_18_carnegie_128kb.mp3 (20:19)

It's wonderful you're getting Carnegie recorded. He has good ideas and a very agreeable writing style. Thanks!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin. Can't wait to learn Andrew's ideas on art! I was pretty shocked to learn his ideas of "literature" (section 20) was the newspapers!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 3 and 4 Cities and Towns
A fascinating story of how quickly American towns grew into prosperous, bustling cities. I really enjoyed this depiction of early American growth, and Carnegie's analysis of the draw of big cities vs rural life! Thanks for reading.
3 is PL OK
4 is PL OK
however
After hearing your Outros, and realizing how long each section is, I have amended the First Post to read " "End of Chapter #, Part # if applicable, no need to say Part # on the last part), Chapter Title"
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, Michele and Tricia, another Carnegie!

Might I claim Section 2, "The American People"?

I might take me a little while to get this done, but I will. The internet I use for LV has been out for a few days and will be out for a while longer. :(

Borrowed laptop here. Please bear with me.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Wayne, Chapter 2 is Y O U R S! We'll be at this project for awhile so take your time. Except . . . . . of course . . . . . don't keep me on tenterhooks tooooo long! :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 18
The "republic of art". I like that.
I was so hoping not to find anything worth mentioning, but here are two wee things that could use straightening:
4:11 it is as free, as unstained of these injustices as . . ., you say, as unrestrained as these injustices
18:45 In portraiture they are equal to the English and French painters, and in some respects they excel the latter. You invert French and English, implying they excel the English. What Whig would stand for that! :shock: