Sure!!! Thanks so much for claiming, I've assigned the section to you :D
-SS
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

shreyasethi wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:47 am
djblackett wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:28 am I can do section 23: Physiognomy
-SS
I considered On Suicide because it was shorter, but the untranslated Greek and Latin is a pain. Back in my university days, I learned New Testament Greek (Koine) with the Erasmian pronunciation, which is supposedly closer to the ancient pronunciation but anathema to modern Greeks. Is that pronunciation fine for librivox? I don't imagine many native Greeks will be listening to an English book on Schopenhauer...

I never formally studied Latin but I can pronounce it the way Italians do, which is basically the church Latin way. I don't want to commit to anything yet other than 23, but if I have time and no else volunteers, perhaps it could happen..
gondola

Post by gondola »

Hello

Section one's here:-

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

(I downloaded section 9 a while ago :) )

Florence
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

djblackett wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:49 am
shreyasethi wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:47 am
djblackett wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:28 am I can do section 23: Physiognomy
-SS
I considered On Suicide because it was shorter, but the untranslated Greek and Latin is a pain. Back in my university days, I learned New Testament Greek (Koine) with the Erasmian pronunciation, which is supposedly closer to the ancient pronunciation but anathema to modern Greeks. Is that pronunciation fine for librivox? I don't imagine many native Greeks will be listening to an English book on Schopenhauer...

I never formally studied Latin but I can pronounce it the way Italians do, which is basically the church Latin way. I don't want to commit to anything yet other than 23, but if I have time and no else volunteers, perhaps it could happen..
Honestly, don't worry about it, feel free to pronounce it the way you're most comfortable pronouncing. If you think that you cannot, that's okay too because I'm sure there are readers for foreign languages who can do it for your section. Reading, and by extension recording, is for fun. Please don't worry too much about it and enjoy yourself!!!
-SS
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

gondola wrote: October 10th, 2020, 9:55 am Hello

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

Florence
Thanks a lot Florence, I've updated the MW. :D
-SS
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Florence
gondola wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:00 am Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence
Both sections 1 and 9 are very well read. All that is needed is to add one-half second of silence to each recording's opening. It seems a small matter, I know, but it is necessary for technical reasons.

Section 10 has already been marked PL OK!
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

KevinS wrote: October 21st, 2020, 2:36 pm

Florence
gondola wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:00 am Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence
Both sections 1 and 9 are very well read. All that is needed is to add one-half second of silence to each recording's opening. It seems a small matter, I know, but it is necessary for technical reasons.

Section 10 has already been marked PL OK!
Thanks Kevin!
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
"For on his face, regarded in and by itself, is indicated the ground tone of all his thoughts and efforts, the arrjt irrevocable of his future, and of which he is only conscious when alone."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

djblackett wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:05 am I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
"For on his face, regarded in and by itself, is indicated the ground tone of all his thoughts and efforts, the arrjt irrevocable of his future, and of which he is only conscious when alone."
It is a typographical error. It is the French.
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

KevinS wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm
djblackett wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:05 am I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
It is a typographical error. It is the French.
Ah, c'est bon! Merci beaucoup
DomFord

Post by DomFord »

shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

DomFord wrote: October 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm Here's section 12!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_12_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (08:39)
Hi thanks a lot, MW has been updated.
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

djblackett wrote: October 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm Here is section 23:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_23_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3
runtime: 21:36
YAY THANK YOU MW has been updated. :D