Complete - [CHILDREN'S FICTION/RELIGION] Helen Lester by Pansy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Helen Lester by Pansy (1841 - 1930).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/helen-lester-by-pansy/
Twelve year old Helen is determined to be a good girl, but the harder she tries, the worse her days go. Is there any hope? And what made such a change in the life of her grown-up brother in the seven years he was away from home? Little do the Lesters know what a pivotal year this will be in each of their lives.

List of children for reference when reading:
Cleveland (age 28), Cornelia, Fred (age 14), Helen (age 12), Louise, Eddie (age 5)

This is the first book ever published by Isabella (Macdonald) Alden whose penname was Pansy.
(HannahMary)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension.

Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.isabellamacdonaldalden.com/helen-lester.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Helen Lester. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Helen Lester, by Pansy. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Helen Lester, by Pansy. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    helenlester_##_pansy_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. helenlester_01_pansy_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by HannahMary on October 22nd, 2020, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

This project has a DPL, bethesdalily.

The summary may be updated before cataloguing, and keywords will be added later.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Just wanted to let you know that I'm really looking forward to PL'ing this project. Hannah, your summary is perfect--much better than I could do at this time!

Joyfully,

Bethesda Lily
linny

Post by linny »

Unfortunately, your source doesn't appear to be PD. All content © 2017 - Daena M. Creel | All Rights Reserved

Can you find a different source?
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

I will look for a different source in the next few days, as time and health permit, if you would be willing to keep this project on the launc-pad for a bit. Thanks!

Joyfully,

Bethesda Lily
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Sorry I hadn't noticed that! I have searched a bunch this morning and cannot find any more e-texts available without access to university library sites. I have gotten in touch with the website we linked in case they are possibly interested in their text being shared with Gutenberg and us. But I made sure they would not feel pressured either way, so we'll see if I hear back.
~ Hannah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I saw the thread title, and was like, "YAY!! Another Pansy reader!"

I read the thread, and was like, "Aww, maaan!" :lol:

I've looked and haven't found it anywhere accessible, either.

I don't know if you are interested in alternatives, but just going by the title, this one might interest you:
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006767272
same text: https://books.google.ca/books?id=MoY2AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

TriciaG wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 12:14 pm I saw the thread title, and was like, "YAY!! Another Pansy reader!"

I read the thread, and was like, "Aww, maaan!" :lol:

I've looked and haven't found it anywhere accessible, either.

I don't know if you are interested in alternatives, but just going by the title, this one might interest you:
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006767272
same text: https://books.google.ca/books?id=MoY2AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover
Thanks for your work searching too, TriciaG! I have been listening through the Chautauqua Girls series but hadn't heard of this first book until Bethesda Lily shared it with me. But I did hear back from the website curator, which I will post next...
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

I had such a lovely reply from the website we had linked!

"Hello, HannahMary! It's nice to hear from you and always a great pleasure to meet kindred spirits who love the Pansy Books.

Helen Lester is, indeed, in the public domain. It's my website material that's copyrighted. Any book published in 1924 or earlier is already in the public domain and that includes all of Pansy's books except her last two novels, "The Fortunate Calamity" and "An Interrupted Night," and her autobiography. Please feel free to go ahead and please let me know when you've created your audiobook. I would love to link it to the website for others to hear.

Hope you have a lovely evening!
Daena"

How do we proceed to keep within LV standards? Can we read from the website with this clarification and permission, or would it be better to transfer the text to a Google doc for use?
~ Hannah
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Hannah and Trisha,

Although I have had a challenging day, health-wise, and have not been able to do any research of my own, I have been following this conversation and can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate the two of you working to see what we can do. Hannah, what a beautiful reply!--it goes right along with the joy and hope Pansy probably would have wanted us to take in her books, doesn't it? I'm really looking forward to DPL'ing this; the Lord actually used this specific project in mighty ways several years ago, and again last year when I was in poor health and simply looking for something soothing to read. Truth is truth, though, and God certainly used Pansy--let's just say that, this time, He used her to bless a child of the King rather than a chronological little one.

Joyfully,

Bethesda Lily
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For us to be able to use it, it needs a clear statement that the text was taken from the 18xx edition. An assurance that it wasn't edited would be a bonus, but we especially need the edition information.

No, don't transfer it to Google Docs. They're more transient than a personal website like this one. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

TriciaG wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm For us to be able to use it, it needs a clear statement that the text was taken from the 18xx edition. An assurance that it wasn't edited would be a bonus, but we especially need the edition information.

No, don't transfer it to Google Docs. They're more transient than a personal website like this one. :)
That makes sense. I will email back and see what can be done.
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

TriciaG wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm For us to be able to use it, it needs a clear statement that the text was taken from the 18xx edition. An assurance that it wasn't edited would be a bonus, but we especially need the edition information.

Here is the reply I received from the website contact regarding LV requirements. I am still smiling from this heart-warming response! Besides the files of "Helen Lester" text mentioned below, a photo of the two editions of the book was also attached.

Unless there is some further concern, I believe we are in the market for an MC again?

"Absolutely. Helen Lester was published in 1865 and I have a precious little red first edition. It was re-released using the exact same printing plates around 1880 and I believe I typed it from that reprinted edition. It is unedited, unless I made a mistake typing it out. I love the vintage language in her books!

I am attaching the entire text in both a Word document and a pdf, which I typed directly from the book. No need to worry about the website version causing you problems. Just consider me a "silent partner" in your endeavor. I typed this directly out of the brown 1880 copy of the book pictured below, which is on my library shelf right now. It was inscribed to Jenny Beard of Virginia City, Nevada for Christmas 1880.

If, by some chance, they require you to actually read it from the book, I can scan the pages and send them to you. I'm excited to know that I had a little part in making this happen when I typed it out so many years ago!
Daena"
~ Hannah
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This is all great news. I'd be happy to MC this for you.

MaryAnn
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:02 am This is all great news. I'd be happy to MC this for you.

MaryAnn
Lovely! Thank you so much, MaryAnn!

I'll claim the first chapter to get it started.

And do we go ahead and keep the link as is for readers? Should I add a note below it saying anything about how it is not copyrighted material?

EDIT: The MW is now filled in and ready for claims.
Last edited by HannahMary on October 24th, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Hannah