COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 078 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Sue

Chicago Race Riots of 1919

I'll listen tomorow

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Thanks Jo and Sue!

Disappointed, but informed.
Wanda
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

wwhite wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:26 pm Thanks Jo and Sue!

Disappointed, but informed.
Wanda
Maybe Legamus? https://legamus.eu/blog/?page_id=33
soupy

Post by soupy »

Those race riots sound very familiar - an event happens and it is rumored that some things happened by the press and by the congress. It all goes back to Plessey vs Fergusen - stay off our beach.

Race riots are PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks Sue :)

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks for the PL, Craig! :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I would like to read the testimony of Dr. Olivia Hooker, a retired law professor and survivor of the Tulsa-Greenwood Massacre of 1921, from a Congressional hearing on a reparations bill that took place in 2007. I would call it "Testimony of Olivia Hooker, survivor of the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot" and would state the hearing and date that the testimony is from in the first part of the reading. I'm just wondering who to list as the author -- I'm thinking Dr. Hooker, since it's her words (and part of it is her written statement submitted into the record).

Her testimony is powerful and timely, given the recent attention to the incident and the increased interest as the centenary approaches in May 2021.

This is the source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg34924/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg34924.pdf Dr. Hooker's section runs from page 31 through 33.

Note: the "official title" for the catalog would include the term "Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot" since that was how the incident was termed in the official title of the bill, though many refer to it now as Massacre because, well, for one thing that's what it was, and for another, most people now think of "race riot" in terms of 1960s urban riots where Black people were rioting, where the incidents called "race riots" in the 1880s-1920s were generally organized attacks of the local white community on the local black community.

I hope it's okay to record this for this collection.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 11:01 am I would like to read the testimony of Dr. Olivia Hooker, a retired law professor and survivor of the Tulsa-Greenwood Massacre of 1921, from a Congressional hearing on a reparations bill that took place in 2007. I would call it "Testimony of Olivia Hooker, survivor of the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot" and would state the hearing and date that the testimony is from in the first part of the reading. I'm just wondering who to list as the author -- I'm thinking Dr. Hooker, since it's her words (and part of it is her written statement submitted into the record).

Her testimony is powerful and timely, given the recent attention to the incident and the increased interest as the centenary approaches in May 2021.

This is the source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg34924/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg34924.pdf Dr. Hooker's section runs from page 31 through 33.

Note: the "official title" for the catalog would include the term "Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot" since that was how the incident was termed in the official title of the bill, though many refer to it now as Massacre because, well, for one thing that's what it was, and for another, most people now think of "race riot" in terms of 1960s urban riots where Black people were rioting, where the incidents called "race riots" in the 1880s-1920s were generally organized attacks of the local white community on the local black community.

I hope it's okay to record this for this collection.

Colleen
Hi Colleen, Most certainly, you can read Dr. Olivia Hooker's testimony, and it will be a valuable addition to the SNF! :)

As BC of the collection, my thoughts on how to title a selection are that the title be honest, accurate, and contain key words that will aid people searching for specific topics on the internet. I also try to make the title as short as possible. Your suggested title is fine, but I, personally, might make the title just "Dr. Olivia Hooker, Survivor of the the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot." That way, Dr. Hooker's name would come up prominently to anyone glancing down the list of selections for the SNF volume. You are free to do as you want with the title.

I looked over your source. Personally, I think it might be better to read Dr. Hooker's prepared statement before her personal testimony (including both in your recording.) The prepared statement sets the stage for understanding of Dr. Hooker's emotionally charged testimony of what it was like, as a small girl, to experience having a machine gun raining bullets on her house... You don't have to follow my suggestion, but if you do, you could introduce the selection thus: "Dr. Olivia Hooker, Survivor of the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race-Riot, her prepared statement and testimony in connection with the Tulsa-Greenwood Riot Claims Accountability Act of 2007.

"But then picture with me the trauma of a young 6-year-old girl hearing things hitting the house, ‘‘bang, bang, bang, bang’’ like
that, and thinking it was hail until my mother took me to the window and let me peer through the blinds and said, ‘‘That thing up there on the stand with the American flag on top of it is a machine gun. And those are bullets hitting the house. And that means your country is shooting at you.’’ Dr. Olivia Hooker

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Those are good suggestions, thank you!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Dr. Olivia Hooker, Survivor of the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot by Dr. Olivia Hooker (1915-2018)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf078_oliviahooker_hooker_cm_128kb.mp3

9:01

Source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg34924/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg34924.pdf p. 31-33 of text, 35-37 of PDF.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: October 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm Dr. Olivia Hooker, Survivor of the 1921 Tulsa-Greenwood Race Riot by Dr. Olivia Hooker (1915-2018)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf078_oliviahooker_hooker_cm_128kb.mp3

9:01

Source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg34924/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg34924.pdf p. 31-33 of text, 35-37 of PDF.

Colleen
Thank you, Colleen! :D
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen :D

A nice educated family able to build a business and create some happiness for themselves destroyed because of a rumor.

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thank you! Just checking - I don't see it in the MW?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:02 am Thank you! Just checking - I don't see it in the MW?

Colleen
Good morning, Colleen! :) If "it" is your selection, it's #7 in the Magic Window!
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Good morning, Craig,
This looks like a most interesting reading, and I'm looking forward to PLing it! :)