COMPLETE - [SPEECHES] State of the Union Addresses 1909-1912 (Taft) – lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

jhturner wrote: October 14th, 2020, 1:34 pm And section 11 is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_11_various_128kb.mp3

Time is 31:57. That completes the 1911 address. Painful as it would have been to sit through, in some (many?) respects a whole lot more informative than what we get nowdays.

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
Section 11 is also PL OK. Thank you for helping out on this project. The man certainly did like the word 'and'. :shock:

I agree that as painful as it may be sometimes the SOTUs were much more informative than they have been.

Be well and be safe!
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 11th, 2020, 6:28 pm just got to preparing the text
:shock:

this dude is a modern day Madison! :(
He's actually #14 on the reading-level list, but still...wow emoji
I hit the wall. I can't do anymore today. I'm sorry.

Section 12 PL notes are as follows:
6:27 repeat – and contemporary foreign comment

15:37 word change - An agreement has been reached between the Governments of Chile and Peru whereby the celebrated Tacna-Arica dispute, which has so long embittered international relations on the west coast of South America, has at last been adjusted. (You say is correctly less than a minute later)

22:57 missing text - upon which the Senate has not yet acted.
In the general effort to contribute to the enjoyment of peace by those Republics which are near neighbors of the United States, the administration has enforced the so-called neutrality statutes with a new vigor, and those statutes were greatly strengthened in restricting the exportation of arms and munitions by the joint resolution of last March. It is still a regrettable fact…

24:31 – word change - Impressed with the particular importance of the relations between the United States and the Republics of Central America and the Caribbean region, which of necessity must become still more intimate by reason of the mutual advantages which will be presented by the opening of the Panama Canal, I directed the Secretary of State last February to visit these Republics for the purpose of giving evidence of the sincere friendship and good will which the Government and people of the United States bear toward them.

I should be able to finish up section 13 tomorrow. I had a number of sections from the last SOTU to PL as well as here. I'm exhausted by policy.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

linny wrote: October 18th, 2020, 12:35 pm Section 12 PL notes are as follows:
fixed

15:37 word change - ...which has so long embittered international relations on the west coast of South America, has at last been adjusted.
(You say is correctly less than a minute later)

And I used that to cut and paste over South Africa with just the right intonation --thanks!

In the general effort to contribute to the enjoyment of peace by those Republics which are near neighbors of the United States, the administration has enforced the so-called neutrality statutes with a new vigor, and those statutes were greatly strengthened in restricting the exportation of arms and munitions by the joint resolution of last March. It is still a regrettable fact…

Missing text added in at 23:00

24:31 – word change - Impressed with the particular importance of the relations between the United States and the Republics of Central America and the Caribbean region, which of necessity must become still more intimate by reason of the mutual advantages which will be presented by the opening of the Panama Canal, I directed the Secretary of State last February to visit these Republics for the purpose of giving evidence of the sincere friendship and good will which the Government and people of the United States bear toward them.

Changed "Friday" to "February" at 25:01(it could have been on a Friday?!)

I'm exhausted by policy.
But your constitution is strengthened by discipline, forethought, and resolve!
[42:20]
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_12_various_128kb.mp3
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
realisticspeakers

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 18th, 2020, 8:24 pm
linny wrote: October 18th, 2020, 12:35 pm Section 12 PL notes are as follows:
fixed

15:37 word change - ...which has so long embittered international relations on the west coast of South America, has at last been adjusted.
(You say is correctly less than a minute later)

And I used that to cut and paste over South Africa with just the right intonation --thanks!

Missing text added in at 23:00

Changed "Friday" to "February" at 25:01(it could have been on a Friday?!)

I'm exhausted by policy.
But your constitution is strengthened by discipline, forethought, and resolve!
[42:20]
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_12_various_128kb.mp3
Section 12 is spot checked and Perfectly PL OK. Thank you for the smiles.

I had to run errands for my parents yesterday. I'll PL tonight. :oops:
linny

Post by linny »

linny

Post by linny »

Haha! I got caught up.

9:35 word change - The President was to appoint the governor of the association from three persons to be selected by the directors, while the two deputy governors were to be elected by the board of directors.

15:16 repeat - tariff upon principles of protection. It was my judgment that the customs duties ought to be revised downward, but that the reduction ought not to be below a rate which would represent the difference in the cost of production between the article in question at home and abroad, and for this and other reasons I vetoed several bills which were presented to me in the last session of this Congress. Now that a new Congress has been elected
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:13 pm
Haha! I got caught up.

9:35 word change - The President was to appoint the governor of the association from three persons to be selected by the directors, while the two deputy governors were to be elected by the board of directors.

15:16 repeat - tariff upon principles of protection. It was my judgment that the customs duties ought to be revised downward, but that the reduction ought not to be below a rate which would represent the difference in the cost of production between the article in question at home and abroad, and for this and other reasons I vetoed several bills which were presented to me in the last session of this Congress. Now that a new Congress has been elected
Thank you. I'll get to this in a few days. I just had cataract surgery and I'm dealing with being farsighted on one side and myopic on the other.
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:39 am Thank you. I'll get to this in a few days. I just had cataract surgery and I'm dealing with being farsighted on one side and myopic on the other.
Oh no! I had lasik surgery about 20 years ago. I wasn't brave enough to have each eye done differently. I've been back in glasses a few years now but I can still get by without them for distance. Take your time...Taft will be here when you get back. :birthday:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I had ups and downs with this section. I hope it is adequate.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_05_various_128kb.mp3 (40:42)
realisticspeakers

All fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_14_various_128kb.mp3
[30:06]
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 28th, 2020, 10:00 pm

All fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_14_various_128kb.mp3
[30:06]
I'm glad you are feeling better. Section 14 is spot check PL OK. :D
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:43 pm I had ups and downs with this section. I hope it is adequate.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1909_1912_05_various_128kb.mp3 (40:42)
Kevin,
Far more than just adequate. Thank you for your work on this one. I know it was rough going. The table turned out great. :clap:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: October 31st, 2020, 11:04 am
KevinS wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:43 pm I had ups and downs with this section. I hope it is adequate.

Kevin,
Far more than just adequate. Thank you for your work on this one. I know it was rough going. The table turned out great. :clap:
Can you hear my sign of relief?
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: October 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm
linny wrote: October 31st, 2020, 11:04 am

Kevin,
Can you hear my sign of relief?
heck, I FELT it during the recording. I was actually surprised the last line of the table didn't start with "and finally". :lol: