[COMPLETE][GROUP/MYSTERY] The Goddess by Richard Marsh - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Ben and a warm welcome to our forum :)

lots of questions ! Let's see...
1) The microphone I've used in conjunction with my computer is built into my computer (used for Skype calls). Is this sufficient?
2) If not sufficient, another microphone I have is a Zoom Handy Recorder H4 (that I've recorded my piano performances on). Would this work?
I am not a qualified help in microphone matters, but the best thing is to start out with a test where you can check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard. You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed. They will also tell you if the sound is ok.
3) If required to use my Zoom H4, should it be formatted to MP3, 44.1 KHz sample rate, 128 Kbps bit rate? Would it be better to use Low or Medium Mic Gain?
4) If required to use my Zoom H4, I've only ever recorded into the device's memory. Would I then be able to upload it to editing software (I see that you recommend Audacity)? Or is there a way to set up my Zoom H4 to the computer so that it automatically records into Audacity?
these questions are best posted in the Help forum: viewforum.php?f=23 Lots of tech-savvy people in there that will probably answer them.

But yes, you need to somehow upload to your computer, and process it with an editing program, like Audacity (very recommendable, very easy to handle)
5) I've noticed that my computer occasionally makes a noise as if it's processing. I figured it would be good to download the text in case the noise is due to the Internet connection. Which download option is recommended (PDF, Full Text...), and would it allow me to "turn the page" soundlessly by pressing the right arrow of my keyboard?
the computer fan also often makes noises. Best not to place the microphone too near the source of the noise. But with noise-cleaning you can also correct such background noise in the editing phase (if it's not too excessive). Another suggestion is: while the computer uploads, don't record, until it is quiet again. :lol: Same goes for when a train or car passes by your house. Wait a bit, resume recording after it's quieter.

As to what text you use, PDF or online or print-out version. This is as you feel best. You only need to read from the source text that is linked in the first post, we need to make sure everybody is reading from the same text.
6) Is it acceptable to listen to a PL-ok chapter of an in-process work I'm contributing to simply to hear the treatment taken by other readers, thereby allowing my interpretation to fit in better?
because we want to limit server overload, we usually don't want anybody to download and listen to a work in progress, unless they are the prooflistener of course.

Since you are a new reader, I wouldn't mind if you listened to a chapter before recording though. But I don't think it's really necessary. What do you mean by "fit in better" ? Each chapter is on their own, read by another reader. Each have a unique way of reading and that is what is fun. As long as you are understandable (not too fast or mumbling, for example), it will be acceptable.
Ideally, I'd like to use my computer's microphone, as I use it for important Skype calls and don't want to mess anything up. Are readers able to get an acceptable quality from the computer's built-in microphone, or do they need to set up a separate microphone?
we have of all sorts. Also some use a cheaper microphone in the beginning until they know they are hopelessly addicted :lol: then often they invest in a better quality mic. But also here: if the technical settings and the volume are ok, and if the noise stays at an acceptable level, then it will be ok. This is no beauty contest. It should be fun. :)

So I recommend: do the test and ask in the help forum.

And if you are set, come back and claim your first chapter, if you wish to start out with Richard Marsh. Good choice :thumbs:

Sonia
BenCC

Post by BenCC »

Thanks for your response, Sonia. I'll try a 1-Minute Test next week, and hopefully once I've addressed feedback I receive, my tech setup will have what it takes. If there are any chapters available by the time I'm ready, I'll go for it. And I don't think I'll bother listening to a recording of an earlier chapter -- if the readers and listeners like the variety, I'll go with the characterization I hear in my mind's eye (or ear).

Have a good weekend!
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_12_marsh_128kb.mp3

All fixed. Thank you for all of the advice and kind words :)
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_13_marsh_128kb.mp3 Time is 9:22

I think I finally got the hang of the editing process, but my volume is still a little low. I don't understand how to amplify it. When I choose that effect, I don't know how to set it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 12 is perfectly edited :thumbs: you'll see you get a routine of this process soon enough :)

PL ok now.
my volume is still a little low. I don't understand how to amplify it. When I choose that effect, I don't know how to set it.
In Audacity, to amplify you do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input the number you need to amplify with in the upper box (called "amplification dB") - change nothing in the lower box !
> press ok

You do have Checker, right ? If not, download here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker It will check your mp3 file and tell you how loud or low your volume is. Simply amplify with the difference to 89 dB (which is our desired average).
So for example:
If Checker gives you a failed warning because the volume is only 82 dB, go back to Audacity and amplify with (89-82=) +7 dB.
If Checker tells you it's 99 dB, amplify with (89-99=) -10 dB. Easy as that. :)

I am a bit pressed for time right now, so will PL your next chapter later on, maybe tomorrow. But it's not forgotten !

Sonia
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Thanks Kitty! That was HUGE advice on how to get my volume up. That was always an issue for me. This should be all ready to go :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_13_marsh_128kb.mp3

Length is 9:22
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:00 pmThanks Kitty! That was HUGE advice on how to get my volume up. That was always an issue for me. This should be all ready to go :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_13_marsh_128kb.mp3
excellent, I'm glad I could help you. Yes, the correct volume was puzzling to me as well in the beginning. But Checker really helps there. It is crucial as well that you try not to make too many "peaks" in your reading, raise your voice too much for example. If you keep your voice more on the same volume level throughout, you can later amplify more uniformly, instead of having clippings in the high peaks here and there.

This chapter is at a good volume :thumbs: no problems there. Also the narration is flawless and I was already excited to pass it right away, but then, unfortunately, you forgot to include the end disclaimer "End of Chapter 13". :( Sorry about that, but could you please insert that and reupload once more, please ? All the rest is perfect. :)

Thank you

Sonia
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_13_marsh_128kb.mp3 Time is 9:25

LOL I fixed up the ending. It should be all set.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:59 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_13_marsh_128kb.mp3 Time is 9:25
LOL I fixed up the ending. It should be all set.
thank you, now definitely PL ok :)

Sonia
catherinely27

Post by catherinely27 »

Hi, can i have section 20 please?
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

catherinely27 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 1:23 pm Hi, can i have section 20 please?
Thank you! You are now in the Magic Window.

As this will be one of your first recordings for us, please do read the first post thoroughly to ensure you include everything required in your file. I did notice your one-minute test has yet to be given the OK, so I'd suggest waiting until that happens before you begin recording the chapter (to ensure all your technical specifications are correct the first time around). Other than that, have fun with your reading! :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
niamire006

Post by niamire006 »

I’d like to read chapter 26.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

niamire006 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 2:54 pm I’d like to read chapter 26.
Hi there! Thank you for expressing interest in this section. I see, however, that you have not completed a one-minute test, which is required before you can begin recording for us. You can go to this handy guide for more information on how to complete it: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Once you've posted your test in Listeners Wanted, it'll need to be approved by another listener. Once you get the OK, let me know and I will officially have the section assigned to you. In the meantime, I can "reserve" it for a maximum of one month; if I don't hear from you after that I'll have to put it back up for grabs, so be sure to get your test done as soon as you can!
Tomas Peter
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_14_march_128kb.mp3 Time is 17:18.

The volume is a little low. I amplified it (twice), but it didn't seem to have any effect. When I ran it through Checker, the numbers didn't change :(
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:03 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_14_march_128kb.mp3 Time is 17:18.
The volume is a little low. I amplified it (twice), but it didn't seem to have any effect. When I ran it through Checker, the numbers didn't change :(
Checker gives me 89.9 dB which is within the perfect average volume range. No problems there. How much did you think you had ? It doesn't sound low to me.

An excellent chapter and totally PL ok on the first go :thumbs: Now I'm curious about Dr Hume...is he a good guy or the baddie ? :shock:

Only one short hint to be careful with your ending silence. It should be 5 seconds, give or take a bit, yours is a bit over 6 already. No need to reupload this time, but don't let it get longer in future files ;)

Thanks

Sonia