Complete [NOVEL] Children Of The Abbey By Regina Maria Roche-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow. Huge thanks. Want to continue with sections 30 and 31?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
alixsquish

Post by alixsquish »

Sure Miss Stav - sign me up!

I still have a few other bits on my list at the moment but will come back to it soon.

Thanks for asking! Am still very new so its encouraging :)
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge huge thanks. All yours.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

again: wordperfect reading!

1. there is a minor issue with the volume of the file according to checker:
Volume
92,1 dB
(heard volume is ok!)
2. wrong filename, again: the section number is not the chapter number!
3. intro chapter number repeating is missing

while i honestly think this section should be pl ok, ~3 seconds of editing and reuploading the file will solve these problems :-)

thank you!
cheers,
wolfi

ps: the next pl will follow in a few hours. i'm sorry i cannot say when, though....
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

because i promised to pl last weekend: a broken arm operation, 3 cats and a second household made it impossible.
i'm sorry and i try to do to the pl next weekend at the latest!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Be well and stay safe. Pl can wait. No problems at all.
kyouhanaie

Post by kyouhanaie »

schrm wrote: September 27th, 2020, 2:37 am
heyho,

thank you for your recordings!
as english is my second language, it is always nice to listen to wordperfect readings - so really a big thank you :D

there are some minor issues, which are not that big of a problem.. i will explain them and apologize for being too long maybe? but i think, for a new reader it is better to know about some more common rules of thumb and maybe helpful stuff.

1. please take care of our intros. we just need this for a somewhat uniform, consistent listening experience and it avoids some legal problems, in some cases.
in your case, the repetition of the chapter number at the end of the intro is missing. that is not that big of a problem, but please, add this.
(by the way: there is no need to record anew or these words: you can just copy and paste it from the beginning of the recording!)

2. when i started, i was reading totally slow, much slower than you! and i was making long pauses - that is why i got the feedback, that i have to keep an eye for longish pauses. and the rule of thumb, i was given, was two seconds. so that is why i recommend to edit these longish pauses:
- 8:52,5-8:55,3 longish pause with mouth noise (which you can cut)
- 10:22,5-10:25,5 longish pause (with a bump-noise which you can cut)
- 14:09,5-14:12 longish pause
(since i know it for some weeks, only: after marking the passage you want to cut, you can press the letter z and the endings of your marked positions will jump to soundwave crossing at zero. this avoids cutting artefacts and disturbance noises)

3. please differ between chapter numbers and section numbers. because the chapters length in a book varies wildly, we most often have more section numbers than chapters.
in short: you claimed chapter 39, which is section 48.
in the filename, we need the section-number. so your filename is not correct and will get overwritten, when sections 39 and 40 get uploaded.

--> please upload the edited file with the correct flename - thank you!

and last but not least: i apologize for typos and mistakes...
i keep finding them after posting this...

:D

cheers,
wolfi

other pl will have to wait a bit more, a broken arm in my family waits for me

Hello, here is my revised chapter 39, section 48
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabby_48_roche_128kb.mp3
length: 15:09.5
Please let me know if it needs any more edits!
Thank you
kyouhanaie

Post by kyouhanaie »

schrm wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 7:32 am

heyho,

again: wordperfect reading!

1. there is a minor issue with the volume of the file according to checker:
Volume
92,1 dB
(heard volume is ok!)
2. wrong filename, again: the section number is not the chapter number!
3. intro chapter number repeating is missing

while i honestly think this section should be pl ok, ~3 seconds of editing and reuploading the file will solve these problems :-)

thank you!
cheers,
wolfi

ps: the next pl will follow in a few hours. i'm sorry i cannot say when, though....

Hello again--here is my edited chapter 40, section 49
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabby_49_roche_128kb.mp3
length: 13:49.5
I fixed the file name and intro, but I wasn't sure what you meant by you comment about an issue with the volume. As far as I could tell the settings were the same as my last recording. If it still needs fixing, please let me know what I need to do exactly.
Thank you!
schrm

Post by schrm »

kyouhanaie wrote: October 7th, 2020, 12:34 pm but I wasn't sure what you meant by you comment about an issue with the volume. As far as I could tell the settings were the same as my last recording. If it still needs fixing, please let me know what I need to do exactly.
Thank you!
good morning,

i didn't spot pl your file, but i forgot to give you informations - i apologize for that!

your file has 92,1 dB db. we aim for 89db, with a range of +/- 3db. so, your file is in the average volume "too loud" (0,1 db are not very much, but 3,1 db are).
in your case, i have to add: there is a difference in "metered", technical average volume, and in the volume a listener hears (with the individual equipment).
while i will rate your recording pl ok, even in case the volume is a little bit out of our tech specs, you should know about the editing-possibilities of this problem.

unfortunately, audacity has no tool to meter the average volume of your file, but you can use:

--> checker (a technical analysis tool, which was made for lv specifically - but as always, no guarantees regarding internet software).
calculate the difference between 89-(checker metered volume)= the value, you have to amplify your file.
--> ReplayGain is a plugin for audacity, which calculates the difference between 89db and your files volume and gives you the value to enter into the amplify effect.

no recommendations from my side: i use both tools.

and then, to amplify in audacity:
please, in the menue bar choose "effects", then choose menue entry "amplify" and enter the value there (or use the switch)

hope, this helps!
cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
kyouhanaie

Post by kyouhanaie »

ok, thank you so much!
schrm

Post by schrm »

kyouhanaie wrote: October 7th, 2020, 12:34 pm Hello again--here is my edited chapter 40, section 49
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabby_49_roche_128kb.mp3
length: 13:49.5
I fixed the file name and intro, but I wasn't sure what you meant by you comment about an issue with the volume. As far as I could tell the settings were the same as my last recording. If it still needs fixing, please let me know what I need to do exactly.
Thank you!
kyouhanaie wrote: October 7th, 2020, 12:23 pm Hello, here is my revised chapter 39, section 48
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabby_48_roche_128kb.mp3
length: 15:09.5
Please let me know if it needs any more edits!
Thank you

heyho,

thank you for the edited recordings! :-)
both sections are checker and spot pl ok! :-D

one remark, though:
section 49:
- checker: your average volume is 92 db - that's the upper outmost margin!
we aim for 89db, have an acceptable range of +- 3db.
you don't have to do this now, but next time: please, select the whole recording and amplify it -3db. then we have the 89db :-)
(very silently read sentences or words can suffer from that radical edit, though.)

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

alixsquish wrote: September 28th, 2020, 9:53 am Hi,

Section 23 or chapter 19 is done!
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_23_roche_128kb.mp3
15:21
heyho,

first: i apologize for the waiting time!
i'm sorry!

it is, for me as i listen to a foreign language, it is so an extraordinary feeling to listen to your readings... better than in school, but a well known accent. a pleasure, thank you!
:D
i was trying to keep up with your reading and reading along - not sure i mastered that task, though :mrgreen:

there are two pl notes:

repeated word:
2:36-2:38 i hear: she continued she - should be: Mr. Kilcorban,” continued she, turning to Amanda

repetetition of a sentence:
10:47-11:05 Dinner passed in silence. When the servant was withdrawn, he resolved to relieve the anxiety which her looks informed him pressed upon her heart, by mentioning the visit of Lord Mortimer.

i'm looking forward to listen to your other claimed sections!
and again: sorry for the waiting time..

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
alixsquish

Post by alixsquish »

Haha, thanks Wolfi! Yes my accent is *very* English :lol: I'm pleased you enjoyed it, and I'll try and slow down a little - I tend to speed up as I go through!

Thanks so much for your PL notes - I'm planning on recording more at the end of this week and will make the changes then.

Thanks again!
-Alix
Jake the dog
alixsquish

Post by alixsquish »

schrm wrote: October 11th, 2020, 10:01 am

there are two pl notes:

repeated word:
2:36-2:38 i hear: she continued she - should be: Mr. Kilcorban,” continued she, turning to Amanda

10:47-11:05 Dinner passed in silence. When the servant was withdrawn, he resolved to relieve the anxiety which her looks informed him pressed upon her heart, by mentioning the visit of Lord Mortimer.
Hi folks,

PL notes actioned for section 23/chapter 19:

15:14

Also complete are section 30/chapter 25
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_30_roche_128kb.mp3
25:50

And section 31/chapter 26
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_31_roche_128kb.mp3
18:35

Miss Stav - happy to take some more sections on this, I kind of want to know what happens! haha!

Thanks,
Jake the dog
schrm

Post by schrm »

alixsquish wrote: October 18th, 2020, 4:30 am
schrm wrote: October 11th, 2020, 10:01 am

there are two pl notes:

repeated word:

Hi folks,

PL notes actioned for section 23/chapter 19:

15:14

heyho,

23:
checker and spot-pl are ok!

the rest will probably have to wait untill sunday, sry!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275