COMPLETE Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Well done on finishing recording the first volume :clap: :clap: Now for some editing :D

I said that Wolny Lektury uses texts from Polona.pl which has the original publication, but I did not mean that Wolny Lektury was the original publication. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Rapunzelina wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 2:12 am I will set you up for volume 1 of 6, to begin with! The site you showed me uses texts from Polona.pl which has the original publication scanned. :thumbs: It has all six volumes easily accessible. Here's the link for volume 1: https://polona.pl/item/potop-powiesc-historyczna-t-1,NTgxODE1NjE/6/#info:metadata So I will enter this as book source, so please read from there. Thanks! :D

From what Sonia and I proof-listened so far, the differences are not a lot, so it will be easy to go through the recordings following the original text and make the few changes. You could also fix volume issues, stumbles and repeats if you have any, and background noise in the process :) If you need any hints and tips on editing, I think this video is helpful: https://youtu.be/dgNCkTRLaS8

You can start by fixing section 0, Wstęp, that has already been PLed: viewtopic.php?p=1785442#p1785442
Sonia's post is very helpful because it has all the time-stamps of where it needs fixing. This will give you the model of what to look for and how to fix the rest of your recordings. Then when you have each section ready, you can upload again with the correct filename: potop_00_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3, potop_01_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3, etc.
Filenames get the numbering from the sections, so even if it's Chapter 10 part 2, since it is in Section 11, the filename will be potop_11_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3, and so on.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I can help with proof-listening, if you're OK with slow/irregular progress.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

As the reader used a 1926 text source, we can now continue work on this project.

Piotr are you still available for slow and irregular pl? Reader was unresponsive, so we'd be able to fix only edits that don't need re-recording, but it would be nice to add this in the catalogue... Let me know what you think.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 8:29 am As the reader used a 1926 text source, we can now continue work on this project.

Piotr are you still available for slow and irregular pl? Reader was unresponsive, so we'd be able to fix only edits that don't need re-recording, but it would be nice to add this in the catalogue... Let me know what you think.
Yes, I can do it :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great! I've added you as DPL so you can have access in the MW. I hope all files are still in my folder :mrgreen:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 10:03 am Great! I've added you as DPL so you can have access in the MW. I hope all files are still in my folder :mrgreen:
I completely forgot about that :oops: I'll start PLing ASAP.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Right! I listened to chapter 2 as a sample and I like Jagoda's expressivness :D There are some small problems, such as abrupt pauses in unexpected places, several cases of false starts, and most of all weird changes in volume level (most of the recording strikes me as quiet, but then suddenly it changes to a completely OK level with an occassional painfully loud spike), but I can fix all that and nothing calls for a re-recording.

As I said before I'll listen to all the sections one by one and fix any simple problems that don're require re-recording.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

That would be absolutely amazing! That's an added bonus for me as I hadn't realised you'd be down for editing! Thank you! :clap:
Sonia's notes on Section 0 are mainly on background noise, and the differences in the text should now match the current text source. I meant to work on that, unless you'd like to edit that as well, since you'll be editing the rest of them ?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 8th, 2022, 1:36 pm That would be absolutely amazing! That's an added bonus for me as I hadn't realised you'd be down for editing! Thank you! :clap:
Sonia's notes on Section 0 are mainly on background noise, and the differences in the text should now match the current text source. I meant to work on that, unless you'd like to edit that as well, since you'll be editing the rest of them ?
Mind you, that was based on what I heard in a 13 minute section. Hopefully, I won't change my mind later on seeing as some of the later sections are approx. an hour long :mrgreen: As this is a solo with a standard PL requirement, I won't be reading along.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've uploaded 2 edited and reasonably noise-cleaned sections. Jagoda's rendition of the conversation between Oleńka and Kmicic was fun :mrgreen: Also, you'll notice that I modified the filename format by adding "1", as it's only the 1st volume. I hope it's not a problem?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You're amazing! Thank you! Adding 1 is great thinking, and it actually reminded me to add "Tom 1" in the project title...!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I fixed (i.e noise-cleaned and cut some needless bits of silence ) and re-uploaded Wstęp. The sound quality is not very good in this one so at times I had problems understanding what is being said, especially at the beginning of some of the sentences.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you!
This was the very first section, hopefully any sound problems are overcome in the following sections.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Chapter 3 OKed.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Piotr!
This is not a priority, but just checking that it hasn't been forgotten :mrgreen: