[COMPLETE] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HelenAnnBowling

Post by HelenAnnBowling »

can I play the role of the jester/fool in acts 5 and 9?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SpockleDorf wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:05 pm I've almost finished with my first pass of Act 1 for Aladdin (haven't done any editing yet and will likely be re-recording most of it...).

Though I have a quick question. On page 48 https://archive.org/details/aladdinorwonder00oehlgoog/page/n47/mode/2up How should I pronounce: "Emir", "Al Mamon", "Al Safi" and "wot" (as in "whom you wot of,")?
For the most part, I'm happy to leave pronunciations of names up to each reader to figure out. As long as it is a reasonable guess given the spelling, I'm happy. As for emir and wot, those are real, though uncommon, words. (I often have to google pronunciations for words that I'm unfamiliar with.) Emir is something like "eh-MEER." Wot (which means "to know") rhymes with "bot".
SpockleDorf

Post by SpockleDorf »

mightyfelix wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:45 pm
For the most part, I'm happy to leave pronunciations of names up to each reader to figure out. As long as it is a reasonable guess given the spelling, I'm happy. As for emir and wot, those are real, though uncommon, words. (I often have to google pronunciations for words that I'm unfamiliar with.) Emir is something like "eh-MEER." Wot (which means "to know") rhymes with "bot".
Gotcha, thanks for the tips! :D
DISCLAIMER: All typos were created specifically for your enjoyment and are free of charge.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: October 8th, 2020, 4:02 am Wicked Spirits act 10

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_wickedspirits_10.mp3

For the last bits I tried to match Sonia's timings but she reads a bit fast for me :hmm:
Finally, I had a chance to PL this. Last weekend was quite busy, which I wasn't quite expecting.

I have to admit, I also wasn't expecting any part of this role to be sung. :? :hmm: Particularly the choruses on page 296 cannot be sung, since they'll be layered with other voices. So I need to have those redone, just spoken. (Again, don't worry too much about the timing. I'll make that magic happen in editing, never fear.)

I do like the effect the song-chant gives in the first part of your lines, up through "Behold our tribulation!" So let's keep that, but if you would please redo everything after that point (0:53, starting with "Canst thou not..."), only speaking this time, that would be great! Thanks again!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

HelenAnnBowling wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:37 pm can I play the role of the jester/fool in acts 5 and 9?
That would be great! Thank you! And welcome to LibriVox! Before you get started, please be sure to complete your 1-minute test, a sound/tech check, to be sure that your recordings will be in the right format.

When that's done, all of the information you will need for this project should be in the first post of this thread, so be sure to read it carefully. Feel free to act and emote as much as you want for a dramatic reading like this. Please ask if you have questions, and have fun!

How would you like to be listed in the catalogue? You can use your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

Hindbad, Act 10 (12:19): https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_hindbad_10_128kb.mp3

This sure was a fun act to record!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Ava! Great work! You captured the poor anxious mother perfectly! Only two corrections to make.

Act 1:

3:37 Text reads (p. 10): "He is not fit to bear much buffeting." I hear "He is not fear to bear much buffeting."

Act 5:

0:07 Missed your first line, p. 111, beginning: "The same, most mighty Sultan."

You know, I'm almsot disappointed that you had a quiet, off-stage death. I'm sure Morgiana's last words would have been memorable... and many! :lol:
SpockleDorf

Post by SpockleDorf »

Ok, I'm enjoying the character of Aladdin so far... :) I still feel a little out of my comfort zone, and I hope the my sound 'works' for the character of Aladdin!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_aladdin_1_128kb.mp3 12:30

A couple notes:
- There are a couple of sections where it didn't feel natural--I don't know if that's me not liking the sound of my voice, but please let me know if a part or parts sound "off" and I can re-record them!
- At 2:05, I made a 'yawning sound', I didn't know if that was supposed to be done, but it seemed like it fit so I left it for you to keep/delete. :D

(Another note, I don't usually post at this time of the day, but I was determined to edit my file in one go... :oops: )
Last edited by SpockleDorf on October 14th, 2020, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: All typos were created specifically for your enjoyment and are free of charge.
HelenAnnBowling

Post by HelenAnnBowling »

sure! my user name, HelenAnnBowling, is fine to use, that would be great!
thanks! (in answer to the question about the catalogue :D )
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
kadysanogo

Post by kadysanogo »

Is it too late to claim role 12? (Selim, Act 1)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

kadysanogo wrote: October 15th, 2020, 5:42 pm Is it too late to claim role 12? (Selim, Act 1)
Not at all! That would be very welcome! However, Selim appears in both act 1 and act 10. If you'd like to read for him, you would need to do both of those acts. Would that be alright with you? If not, there are still several other roles available that only appear in one act. :)

How would you like to be credited in the catalogue? You can use your real name, your screen name, or some other pseudonym.

I see that you've already submitted your one-minute test. Great job! If no one else gets to it first, I'll try to check it sometime tonight.
kadysanogo

Post by kadysanogo »

Hey, thanks again. I don’t mind doing Selim’s parts in both acts at all! As for cataloging, just Kady is fine by me
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

kadysanogo wrote: October 15th, 2020, 9:44 pm Hey, thanks again. I don’t mind doing Selim’s parts in both acts at all! As for cataloging, just Kady is fine by me
Great, thank you! Here is your personal reader page------> https://librivox.org/reader/15114 Right now, all you see there is this project. But the more projects you participate in, the more you'll see it grow. Eventually, you'll see both current and completed projects there. Have fun, and let me know if any other questions arise! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SpockleDorf wrote: October 13th, 2020, 11:43 pm Ok, I'm enjoying the character of Aladdin so far... :) I still feel a little out of my comfort zone, and I hope the my sound 'works' for the character of Aladdin!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_aladdin_1_128kb.mp3 12:30

A couple notes:
- There are a couple of sections where it didn't feel natural--I don't know if that's me not liking the sound of my voice, but please let me know if a part or parts sound "off" and I can re-record them!
- At 2:05, I made a 'yawning sound', I didn't know if that was supposed to be done, but it seemed like it fit so I left it for you to keep/delete. :D

(Another note, I don't usually post at this time of the day, but I was determined to edit my file in one go... :oops: )
Oh, it totally works! :9: I love the carefree attitude you've taken with him so far. He will do quite a bit of growing and learning, I believe, as we continue on in the story. I didn't realize just what a scamp he really is, here at the beginning! :lol: I didn't hear anything that felt "off" to me. I think this is a case of being your own worst critic. And I really like the yawning noise. I'll most likely use it. :D

Only one correction to make.

10:22 Missing line, p. 26, beginning with "But Allah sent an angel..."

I look forward to the rest!