COMPLETE[FULL][GROUP]Multilingual Short Works Collection 026 - Poetry & Prose by Various - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

Kazbek wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:54 am
1) It's traditional to mention the language. I like how you're using idiomatic Arabic instead of literal translations of the English boilerplate. Please work in something like "read in Arabic" in any way that sounds good to your ear.
2) (0:08, 3:34) please cut out the book title, volume and edition. We can include this information in the keywords.

Also, a minor comment, made in cognizance of my imperfect Arabic knowledge. Please feel free to ignore:

3) (3:06) I think I hear كاذبة instead of كذباً. I would have expected "an" or a longer "a" at the end.

Thanks!
Michael
Thanks Michael.

I did what you asked for in 1 & 2.
As for 3, yes I see what you're saying with the 'a', but it sounds fine, and contextually speaking it would also be just fine! (I'll pay attention to such nuances next time hehe)

New Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw026_alkathib_almanfaluti_ay_128kb.mp3
New Duration: 03:28

Hope all is good with this one

Cheers,
Anas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

invisibleCat wrote: October 10th, 2020, 2:33 pmI'm interested in recording in Chinese :)
great, then I would recommend to browse here through Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/zh
these are all public domain in the US. Just be careful to choose a shorter text, like a poem or a short story, because the limit for one section is 74 minutes in most of our projects.

As soon as you find something you like, please post the link back here so we can give it a go. It will probably be moved to the next collection though, but for the time being you can still post here. :)

Good luck treasure hunting.

Sonia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

AnasYousef971 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 4:08 am Thanks Michael.

Thank you, Anas! The intro/outro text sounds good. There's just one additional issue to address: please lengthen the silence at the end to ~5 seconds. It seems to have gotten lost along the way.
As for 3, yes I see what you're saying with the 'a', but it sounds fine, and contextually speaking it would also be just fine! (I'll pay attention to such nuances next time hehe)
No need to change your approach just for that. The PL can mention some issues that they think the reader may want to address if they were aware of them, but it's up to the reader to decide whether they want to change anything that isn't within the limited set of issues covered by standard PL (tech specs, intro/outro format, repeats, etc). For other issues, it's totally fine to say that you're leaving something as is, and the PL can learn from that as well. :)

Michael
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

Kazbek wrote: October 11th, 2020, 7:51 am
AnasYousef971 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 4:08 am Thanks Michael.

Thank you, Anas! The intro/outro text sounds good. There's just one additional issue to address: please lengthen the silence at the end to ~5 seconds. It seems to have gotten lost along the way.
No need to change your approach just for that. The PL can mention some issues that they think the reader may want to address if they were aware of them, but it's up to the reader to decide whether they want to change anything that isn't within the limited set of issues covered by standard PL (tech specs, intro/outro format, repeats, etc). For other issues, it's totally fine to say that you're leaving something as is, and the PL can learn from that as well. :)

Michael
Oh yeah, apparently I removed the silence at the end :mrgreen:
Thanks for PL-ing; I appreciate your notes.

New Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw026_alkathib_almanfaluti_ay_128kb.mp3
Duration: 03:28
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

AnasYousef971 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:01 am Oh yeah, apparently I removed the silence at the end :mrgreen:
Thanks for PL-ing; I appreciate your notes.

Duration: 03:28
Thanks, PL OK! :thumbs: The duration is now 03:28 + the new silence. I've noted that in the MW. :D

Michael
tding

Post by tding »

Hello, Sonia,

May I claim Section 4 (Lihun by Lu Xun) for PL?

Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tding wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:07 am Hello, Sonia,
Tina
thank you so much, for helping here, Tina :9: Then all three Chinese sections have a DPL. What a great cooperation here 8-)

I think this is your first time PLing, is that correct ? So what you have to do is this:
1. download the section from the MW
2. Check settings with Checker (if you don't have that program, let me know, then I check it)
3. Listen and check along with the Gutenberg link, because we need to make sure the text is the correct one, as Vivienne was ready from a non PD source
4. if there are errors, please write down the exact time where it happens and a short note what should be corrected

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia
tding

Post by tding »

Kitty wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:36 am
tding wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:07 am Hello, Sonia,
Tina
thank you so much, for helping here, Tina :9: Then all three Chinese sections have a DPL. What a great cooperation here 8-)

I think this is your first time PLing, is that correct ? So what you have to do is this:
1. download the section from the MW
2. Check settings with Checker (if you don't have that program, let me know, then I check it)
3. Listen and check along with the Gutenberg link, because we need to make sure the text is the correct one, as Vivienne was ready from a non PD source
4. if there are errors, please write down the exact time where it happens and a short note what should be corrected

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia
Hello, Sonia,

I indeed do not have the Checker, but I have something called MP3Gain. Not sure if that's performing the same function. If Checker is needed, feel free to let me know where to get it. Many thanks.

Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tding wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:18 pmI indeed do not have the Checker, but I have something called MP3Gain. Not sure if that's performing the same function. If Checker is needed, feel free to let me know where to get it.
you can download checker here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
it's indeed helpful to check that the technical settings (bitrate, mono...) are correct and that the volume is in the accepted limits. Run the mp3 file through Checker and it gives you a PASS or FAIL notification, which you can tell us about here.

If you cannot make it run on your computer, let me know, and I'll check the file with Checker. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Since this collection is full, I have started another one.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83231

Thanks, Todd
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Section 03 - see PL notes

Thanks for the wonderful reading! It’s certainly one of the best Chinese recordings I’ve ever PL-ed in LibriVox. A few issues I’d like to raise:

2:07 - 3:03 This paragraph isn’t in the Gutenberg source, but I did find it in other texts, eg https://zh.m.wikisource.org/zh-hans/%E5%9C%A8%E9%85%92%E6%A8%93%E4%B8%8A. This is the full version and it should be in the public domain.

10:11 - “我的心顫動” 顫動 was read as 顫抖著
But if we’re using the Wikibooks link above, it should be 顫動著

23:25 - The Gutenberg source ends here
23:30 - (5s for the date of writing) The Wikibooks source ends here
23:39 - (9s for publishing info) Recording ends here, followed by name of reader and 5s of silence.

What should we do with this section?
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for the fast turnaround and the detailed notes, Yuqing :9:
2:07 - 3:03 This paragraph isn’t in the Gutenberg source, but I did find it in other texts, eg https://zh.m.wikisource.org/zh-hans/%E5%9C%A8%E9%85%92%E6%A8%93%E4%B8%8A. This is the full version and it should be in the public domain.
hm still, as we are using the Gutenberg source, I fear we need also to stay with that text. Or does the wikisource text show the original scan as source with a clear publishing date before 1923 ?

This is easy to fix though, as you can simply cut out the part that is not in the Gutenberg version.
10:11 - “我的心顫動” 顫動 was read as 顫抖著
But if we’re using the Wikibooks link above, it should be 顫動著
what does it mean in English ? Is there a huge difference of meaning ? If not I am tempted to let it slip by
23:25 - The Gutenberg source ends here
23:30 - (5s for the date of writing) The Wikibooks source ends here
also here, unless the wikisource has an original scan with date, we'll stick to Gutenberg and this part needs to be cut out as well then. Is the story also complete if you cut the final part ? It's probably a later addition that wasn't PD and therefore Gutenberg didn't include. Or Gutenberg didn't catch the error. Hard to say which, but we cannot decide that without the original scan.
What should we do with this section?
well if the only errors are easily cut, then we can do that and reupload. If this one error is not big in changing the meaning, then I would say we accept the shortened version.

Michael, Todd, what do you think ? My suggestion would be, Yuqing cuts out the parts that are not in Gutenberg and Michael makes a spot check.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Michael, Todd, what do you think ? My suggestion would be, Yuqing cuts out the parts that are not in Gutenberg and Michael makes a spot check.
I agree.

Thanks, Todd
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ToddHW wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:03 am
I agree.

Thanks, Todd
Ditto. If you prefer, Yuqing, I could do the edits and let you do the spot PL.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kazbek wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:07 am Ditto. If you prefer, Yuqing, I could do the edits and let you do the spot PL.
indeed, even better. That way the PL stays the PL. Thank you, Michael, if you wouldn't mind doing this. :9:

Sonia