Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

PL notes!
Section 21: It seems like a few extra seconds of silence were left in at the end. Cutting at 12:40 will leave you at 5 seconds, and remove extraneous sounds. Everything was great otherwise!
Section 23: The first 30-40 seconds of your audio sounded distorted. The ends of syllables and words are cut off or clipped. I suggest listening to your first submission to compare and hear the difference. It was strange enough to me that I thought it worth bringing up.
The problem seemed to improve as the recording went on, but I would recommend double checking the settings on the plug-ins you are using. It could be that the processing was accidentally applied twice to the intro section. The reading itself was great, I just don't want your processing filters to get in the way!
Section 24: Nice job, PL OK!

I'll hit Section 25 as soon as I can. Thanks, everyone!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Section 25 is PL OK! Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
jr6524

Post by jr6524 »

I removed those extraneous sounds at the end of section 21. The new fie has been uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_21_bryant_128kb.mp3
Duration: 12:40

Thanks,
Jerry
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the quick turnaround Jerry! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jr6524

Post by jr6524 »

Availle wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:40 pm Thanks for the quick turnaround Jerry! :thumbs:
No problem! :D
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Section 21 spot PL OK! Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
drwolfe88

Post by drwolfe88 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_33_bryant_128kb.mp3

Here is my recording of Section 33. I believe it meets all the requirements. This was my first recording for LV so please let me know if I need to do anything else! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you! :D

So far we're good, but I'd need the length of your recording to make sure everything has arrived safely. Please always post that alongside with your link.

Other than that, please stick around and see if our DPL has any further comments for you that you need to fix.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

Here is chapter 23 again. I ended up re-recording the intro. I think some of the overprocessed sounds were because I had the expander set a bit too high and the recording had some volume level inconsistencies that I tried to fix with a leveller plugin. This time around I just tried to change the volume of certain sections manually to avoid the need for yet another plugin. I think it works better now. Thanks for the feedback.

Length: 18:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_23_bryant_128kb.mp3
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you! You only re-recorded the intro, right?

It is generally frowned upon to replace the whole recording once it has been PLed (especially if there's just a minor thing wrong with it) - too much work for everybody. :wink:

Volume can be hard to get right, especially if you're speaking with much expression, some people are just natural actors I guess. :D
A tip I got recently from one of our very experienced members (who does a lot of commercial audiobooks as well) is to be relatively close to the microphone (6 inches or so) so that you can speak more quietly to begin with, which allows to be expressive without (much) change in volume. He recommends the following as a basic measure: spread out your hand, put your thumb close to your mouth - and your microphone close to your little finger.
Hope this helps! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
djblackett

Post by djblackett »

Yes, only the librivox intro is rerecorded. I did do some small adjustments to the volume automation for the later part. My apologies if I should not have. Restraint is difficult when you are a perfectionist.

And thanks for sharing the mic advice. I'll try that out for my Schopenhauer chapter reading im working on
VTDave

Post by VTDave »

Chapter 31 has been uploaded. It runs about 13:15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_31_bryant_128kbs.mp3

VT Dave
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks a lot - MW updated. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com