ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

msfry wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm How did you watch the video? Where is it posted? I am clueless where to find our Zoom videos.
Phil posted the link to it in the Zoom Announcement thread.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:34 pm
msfry wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm How did you watch the video? Where is it posted? I am clueless where to find our Zoom videos.
Phil posted the link to it in the Zoom Announcement thread.
Ah, thanks! Found it.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm
jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm I wasn’t able to make the Zoom today but watched the video and want to say thank you to Todd. Since I’ll be editing my first play in the current One Act collection, the information you shared was incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton for sharing!
How did you watch the video? Where is it posted? I am clueless where to find our Zoom videos.
They are posted in our Zoom Announcement thread.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Thank you to Todd for his talk on "Audacity DR Play Assembly Made Simple": https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/6886834416_202cf94a8c.jpg :clap:

And btw I liked this week's hat. Very spacey. :mrgreen:

My feline agent and sometime bookie, Bachelor Number One, wants to co-star in a DR-related Zoomie with Sonia.

He's pitching it to her as "A Tale of Two Kitties". :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm I wasn’t able to make the Zoom today but watched the video and want to say thank you to Todd. Since I’ll be editing my first play in the current One Act collection, the information you shared was incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton for sharing!
Glad you enjoyed it. Happy to answer any additional questions on editing at any time.

Thanks, Todd
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

philchenevert wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:15 pm I am trying to have a representative from the 'LibriVox App" (not ours but they call it that) join us to discuss their research into how people listen and I think they will. All are welcome to share their preferred methods and devices.

Oh I hope they do! I have a lot of questions about the app. One of which is how they decide about the other stuff they add (the books that appear to be self-published and read by the authors, the old time radio shows, the huge blocks of various churches' recorded sermons....) and where it comes from. I was very disturbed to find a selection of Christian Identity (violent white supremacist group) sermons mixed in with the other religious material and wonder if they meant to do that.

I love the Librivox app and use it almost daily, so I'm very curious about its origins and inner workings.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I wish (the real) LibriVox had at least filed a trademark for its name.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: October 13th, 2020, 11:47 am I wish (the real) LibriVox had at least filed a trademark for its name.
You're not the only one.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It costs to register a name . I seem to remember the figure of $25,000 dollars being mentioned at sometime,
The person running the app is a member, all the work and server time he does to host the LV books is his contribution to LV. If you pay for "premium" subscription then you have access to other books which help him pay for it all.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:40 pm It costs to register a name . I seem to remember the figure of $25,000 dollars being mentioned at sometime,
The person running the app is a member, all the work and server time he does to host the LV books is his contribution to LV. If you pay for "premium" subscription then you have access to other books which help him pay for it all.

Anne
Oh, I did not mean to impugn our member. Just in the most general of circumstances, it would have been nice to have the name protected.

The fascinating thing, really, is that LibriVox does not 'exist.' Or, most correctly, it does not quite exist as a legal entity. There are advantages to that, of course.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

annise wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:40 pm It costs to register a name . I seem to remember the figure of $25,000 dollars being mentioned at sometime,

Anne
I did not know that. Thanks for the background info Anne.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ZOOM Meeting this Sunday!! Melody Jaros, the rep from the 'LibriVox app' will join us 10/18 Sunday at 12 Noon Central time when we will talk about ways that people (you and I) listen to LV audiobooks. They are many and varied but the app seems to be very popular and it works well. She has agreed to answer questions about it. I have no idea how long this segment will be but will try to keep it to 30 minutes. The second half of the meeting will discuss the role of the hard working Book Coordinator. Some veteran BCs will share their joys and sorrows of shepherding an LV audiobook from start to finish. At any one time we have about 300 projects active and every one needs a BC. Petunia is excited Image
Phil Chenevert is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: How Do You Listen to LV Audiobooks? and The Role of the Book Coordinatlr
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84010178278
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

msfry wrote: October 11th, 2020, 6:48 am I'd be happy to do a zoom tutorial on the basics of making covers -- how to claim, sources for artwork, design considerations, sizing and naming files, good organizational practices, uploading, etc. Just last week I hit a milestone -- 400 covers! It's addictive. Perhaps an admin could join in and explain how the covers are linked up to the LV catalog and Internet Archive.
Congrats on 400 covers!! That is amazing :clap:

Fingers crossed this will become a tutorial in a future Zoom!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Anne
Ridiculous! Anybody can register a trademark (can include a name, with or without logo) for under $300. Search government records for availability, here:
https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database.
It appears both LibriVox and Librivox are available.

A variety of online services are available to do the work--do the search, fill out and register the paperwork. Here are a few. Takes about 5 days.
https://www.legalzoom.com/business/intellectual-property/
https://www.trademarkengine.com/

This should be done IMMEDIATELY!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

One question in my mind Michele would be, who owns it once it is registered? What person or entity?