COMPLETE: The Golden Bough. Part 3. The Dying God -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
niobium

Post by niobium »

The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion. Part 3. The Dying God by James Frazer (1854 - 1941).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-golden-bough-part-3-the-dying-god-by-james-frazer/

The fourth volume in Frazer's seminal 12 volume set on anthropology and traditional systems of belief. With this third part of The Golden Bough we take up the question, why had the King of the Wood at Nemi regularly to perish by the hand of his successor? Topic investigated include the practice and intention of human sacrifice, the mortality of gods, the regular killing of divine kings and spirits, and the supersitions surrounding the succession of the soul. ( Leon Harvey)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b21356750/page/n3/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Other religions; *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion. Part 3. The Dying God. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion. Part 3. The Dying God, by James Frazer. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough. Part 3. The Dying God by James Frazer. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Golden Bough. Part 3. The Dying God, by James Frazer. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename goldenbough4_thedyinggod_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. goldenbough4_thedyinggod_01_frazer_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: James Frazer
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion. Part 3. The Dying God

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC this for you niobium. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
niobium

Post by niobium »

goldenbough3_thedyinggod_01_frazer_128kb.mp3 might be an awkward prefix to work with because this book is actually the 4th volume in the series. Some of the parts in the golden bough are in 2 volumes, which may cause a small confusion.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Is this the third in the series you are recording? Your other two recordings filenames are

goldenbough1_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 and
goldenbough2_##_frazer_128kb.mp3

so goldenbough3_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 would seem the logical next one in sequence, but if you would prefer goldenbough4 that's fine.
Jo
niobium

Post by niobium »

I know its 'part 3' but im skipping ahead from part 2 'taboo and the perils of the soul' out of personal interest to read this volume first. I will probably return to the 3rd volume after this one
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Go ahead and edit the filenames to something that works for you. :)
Jo
niobium

Post by niobium »

first few sections including the preface are up. just note that the chapters are split up in different parts throughout the book
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goldenbough4_thedyinggod_06_frazer_128kb.mp3

Gee i wish someone would proof listen this. its interesting to know that the winter months of the northern hemisphere are not associated with publishing or writing
hecrane00

Post by hecrane00 »

Hi, I'd like to PL some of your chapters but I'm a bit new to this and just want to ask where you want the PL notes, do I post them on the thread?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi hecrane00 - yes just post your PL notes in the thread. If you decide to continue as DPL, then I can add you to the project and give you access to edit the MW.
Jo
niobium

Post by niobium »

for this one , only standard proof listening is required where it just has to sound acceptable without stutters or repeats or too much background noise. But, it helps to read along with the text used in case some mistakes were made
hecrane00

Post by hecrane00 »

Hi, so far I've been able to PL the preface, sections 1 and 2. I did have a question about if the text linked is the same the reader is using because this would help me with being word specific if that is wanted
[Preface:
Something that I picked up in several parts of the video was an echo like the video was too loud but it wasn't super unpleasant but I could see how some might get distracted.
2:15 the word "even" is missing but it does not affect the flow of the book.]

[Section 1:
1:12 the sentence says " must be numbered" but it sounds like remembered on the recording.
1:47 the word "beings" was replaced by kings
6:26 "if we may trust the Egyptian" the recording is missing the word "the"
as well as it says "the soul of isis" but isis has been replaced with iris. The word after iris is a bit unclear and it disrupts the sentence.
8:26 the recording says "well when they came to palodes" and the reading says "well when they were come to palodes" however I find the wording of the reading to be awkward and prefer the reader's sentence
9:38 repeat of the word sorrow
9:42 instead of becalmed it says bemaled
9:51 the word been is missing between have and made
10:01 says find instead of found]

[Section 2:
5:36 says power instead of powerful
6:41 uses the word his instead of this
10:11 drag is repeated]

Besides slight differences in wording, sections one and two are at a good volume and the reader is doing a great job and they make the readings enjoyable for the listener.
hecrane00

Post by hecrane00 »

I was able to PL section 6 funeral games today. For the most part, everything sounds great but here are my notes.
section 6
3:45 the word founder is unclear or even skipped over
13:27 "discontented" was replaced with contented
17:32 and replaced the word "old"
18:15 the word yoke has been skipped

Great job reader!