'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for HannahMary (HannahMary) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Librivox

Below is a message of thanks for Hannah Mary
(https://librivox.org/reader/10594)

Thank you Hannah for contributions to various readings of George
MacDonald's works. It's hard to choose a particular one although I
first heard your reading in Sir Gibbie
(https://librivox.org/sir-gibbie-by-george-macdonald)/

When you read, you sound like you're enjoying it, and when something
in the text has a little twist of humour about it, convey the humour
in your reading in such a subtle way. It makes such a delight to
listen.

If at some stage, you run short of books to contribute, I have some
suggestions that might suit you.

Thanks again

P

All of HannahMary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

icequeen wrote: October 12th, 2020, 7:12 pm Praise received for TriciaG (TriciaG) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
My eyes have fallen into such a condition that renders reading a printed page nearly impossible. I love to listen! If I were reading, I would doubtless stumble at colloquialisms and songs. You, TriciaG, did marvelously in the reading "A Daily Rate" [by Grace Livingston Hill] and in the songs. I love singing, but I looked up the hymn page for "Father, In Thy Presence Kneeling" and wonder, if it were my duty to read this selection, if I would not have simply stuck the words to a different tune like Fanny Crosby's "Rescue the Perishing" tune or "under His Wings" but you sang the actual tune! It was refreshing. Thanks so much!

If I were to expect a response from you [which I do not] I would ask if you knew the song [Father in Yhy Mysterious Presence Kneeling] or if you just picked it out from the musical score. I'm working on it without much success and I don't have the pressure of having to read! Tremendous job, TriciaG.

No reply necessary... just curious!

George
Thanks for the note, George! I really do appreciate it. :)

When I run into songs in the books, I do try to use the actual tune for them if I can. I did not know "Father, In Thy Presence Kneeling". I can't remember exactly how I found it, but I usually do a web search for it. I do see it's on YouTube a couple times. I will try to use something like YouTube as a guide, maybe transposing it (using the wonders of computers) to a lower key so I don't screech too much! :lol: If I can't find the actual tune, I do tend to use some other hymn with a similar meter, because I'm horrible at making up tunes, my sight-reading ability has gone downhill over the years, and usually I'd rather it be sung than just spoken.

Besides YouTube, hymnary.org and hymntime.com are also a great resources.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

icequeen wrote: October 12th, 2020, 8:17 pm Praise received for HannahMary (HannahMary) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Librivox
Below is a message of thanks for Hannah Mary
(https://librivox.org/reader/10594)

Thank you Hannah for contributions to various readings of George
MacDonald's works. It's hard to choose a particular one although I
first heard your reading in Sir Gibbie
(https://librivox.org/sir-gibbie-by-george-macdonald)/

When you read, you sound like you're enjoying it, and when something
in the text has a little twist of humour about it, convey the humour
in your reading in such a subtle way. It makes such a delight to
listen.

If at some stage, you run short of books to contribute, I have some
suggestions that might suit you.

Thanks again
P
All of HannahMary's recordings!
Thank you for the encouragement, P! That is a blessing at a time when I am struggling to do much recording (thanks to disabling symptoms of chronic illness.) Those chapters in Sir Gibbie were my very first try on LibriVox, so I'm glad you enjoyed them! It has been a challenge and a joy to share some of my MacDonald favorites with you all, and I keep trying to learn and improve.

Though I am rather choosey about what I'll record (even some MacDonald works are off my list), I would be interested to hear what other books you had in mind as I am always looking for new books to read and new authors to enjoy and learn from.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins »

@tabithat Thank you for your reading of Little Fuzzy https://librivox.org/little-fuzzy-by-h-beam-piper/

This is one of my all time favorite books, I just shared it with my wife via your audio reading and we both enjoyed it so much we started over from the beginning to read it again.

I am new and not sure of the formatting for forum posts here. If I have not correctly pinged tabithat please edit or forward my message.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

JamesJenkins wrote: October 15th, 2020, 10:43 am @tabithat Thank you for your reading of Little Fuzzy https://librivox.org/little-fuzzy-by-h-beam-piper/

This is one of my all time favorite books, I just shared it with my wife via your audio reading and we both enjoyed it so much we started over from the beginning to read it again.

I am new and not sure of the formatting for forum posts here. If I have not correctly pinged tabithat please edit or forward my message.
You did just fine! I will PM tabithat to let her know that she has a note! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to share my appreciation to MaryAnn who read chapter 1 of Charles H. Spurgeon’s According to Promise, or The Lord’s Method of Dealing with His Chosen People

All of MaryAnn's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for readers of the group project for Soul Food
I would also like to share my appreciation for all of the readers of George Douglas Watson’s Soul Food. I have listened to this work multiple times, and already. And shall continue to do so for days/years to come God willing. I have also shared it with others.

JoAnn
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi!

We'd love to say "thank you" to Kara for all her recording work! She is a celebrity in our house, and we are always thrilled to see her name on something we are listening to. We currently have children working through "Our Island Story", "This Country of Ours", and "Storybook of Science". Thank you for making literature come alive for us and so many others!

We hope to someday find out the names of the parakeets in the background!

WIth gratitude,

Chas, Emily, Natalie, Jack, Ben, Joel and Caroline
and...
To Kara Shallenberg:

Thank you for sharing your talents and so many great stories. We have been listening to your stories through your website and librivox for close to 8 years now. We are just finishing up The Secret Garden today as we drive back and forth to school. Thank you!

Blessings and Blue Skies,

Shelly
and...
Dear Ms. Shallenberg:

1. Thank you so much for your reading of Our Island Story. You have left the world a bit better than you found it!

2. Your reading is really, really well done. Not simply because your voice is pleasant, but because you read with understanding. Your reading is much better than that of many professionals. Perfect! Wonderful!!

Thanks again, and all best wishes,

Bob
Jackson MS

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tim bulkeley (Tim Bulkeley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would so like to thank Tim Bulkeley for his wonderful reading of Walter Hartwright’s part in Wilkie Collins’ The Woman in White. In fact all the readings were done beautifully, making this one of the best listening experiences I’ve ever had. Thank you!!
Jennie

All of Tim's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for SmokestackJones (Glen Hallstrom) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to thank Glenn Hallstrom for his reading of Count Fosco’s part in Wilkie Collins’ The Woman in White. Absolute first class characterisation, thank you Glenn, that was wonderful listening!
With thanks,
Jennie

All of Glen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for amelita (Amy Conger) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for reading Game of life..i have heard many versions but your voice is so optimistic it really helped me alot.You have a gorgeous positive voice ..i just felt like my burdens were lifting.

My plea is for you to read more self-help ,motivational books because your audio now has 4 million views on Youtube!!!!! and once again you have an awesome voice.Sending love from Africa,Zimbabwe.

Regards,

Angela

All of Amy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Timothy Ferguson (Timothy Ferguson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Just finished Arnold Bennett's Literary Taste. Wonderful book and what a wonderful reading. You really brought the whole thing alive.

My husband is now listening to it and also loves your reading.

We spend every winter in Venice so look forward to the two books you are currently engaged in.

Best wishes,

Mitzi

All of Timothy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Carolin (Crln Yldz Ksr) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
This note is in reference to this (https://librivox.org/salammbo-by-gustave-flaubert/) series of recordings.

Thank you so much Carolin for your incredible dedication, iron stomach, and bravery in pronunciation of so many untranslatable words/names! Your reading brought this bizarre novel to life, completely changing how I see the works of Flaubert in the process. It is really exciting to think that maybe, thanks to your solo effort, many more people will experience this lesser known novel. Your dedicated listener, Jae <3 (Tucson, Arizona, USA)

All of Carolin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for KirstenNelson (Kirsten Nelson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi LibriVox Team!

I wanted to take a moment to thank Kirsten Nelson for contributions to LibriVox; she always does a great job. Technically, her audio is always clear and "clean" but more importantly, her voice is so smooth and relaxing and her cadence is perfect! Kirsten has a very professional sound and execution!
Thank Kirsten and to the LibriVox team for making great literature available to those of us who have more time to listen than to read!
Cheers,
Corrine

All of Kirsten's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Dormouse3 (Mike Harris) and Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I hesitate to do this, because there are so many excellent readers on Librivox that I feel remiss for not acknowledging all of them. However, we (a teen, a pre-teen, & an adult) have just started listening to In Freedom's Cause by Mike Harris and it is so well done that I wanted to let him know how much we appreciate it. When we first started using Librivox, the books we listened to were not available to us through other sources. Now, we have free access to audio books through Overdrive & Hoopla. Yet we often prefer the Librivox readers over the professional. In Freedom's Cause is one example of that; We listened to the version available through other sources & chose Mike Harris hands down!

I cannot thank Mike Harris without also thanking Mark F. Smith, the singular Librivox reader that we have sought out the most. We have listened to several of the books that he has read, including Pinocchio, Captains Courageous, Hans Brinker, & The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and are looking forward to some others on our list that he has read. I wondered why he didn't do this professionally as he is so skilled at it & just learned, via his blog, that he does. I hope he will continue with Librivox, as well.

So thank you all! Linda & family

All of Mike's recordings!
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!