[COMPLETE] [Fictional War Biography] Lay Down Your Arms by Bertha von Suttner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 8th, 2020, 11:55 am Very helpful thanks, i'll try muffling the mic. The bitrate was set at 128, but I guess it must have changed when I added the effects? How do I fix that? I want to try again with the test. I'll try to post it where you want but it's a little confusing.
hi,
i'm lucky to answer quickly, i had to write some lists...
no problem at all because it was a very good testresult, fast to pl :-)

when editing and so on and saving the file as mp3 ("export dialogue"), the audacity settings should stay the same.
but keep an eye on it..

i apologize to blind forum users and everyone disliking pics in the forum! i have an old screenshot of the export dialogue here - maybe it helps:
*image link removed by schrm*

cheers,
wolfi
Last edited by schrm on October 11th, 2020, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Glennster wrote: October 8th, 2020, 11:55 am Very helpful thanks, i'll try muffling the mic. The bitrate was set at 128, but I guess it must have changed when I added the effects? How do I fix that? I want to try again with the test. I'll try to post it where you want but it's a little confusing.
You need the bit rate to be constant. Here's a picture:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

Oops, the bit rate is 97 again. I'll try setting it on constant and re-do the whole thing
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you to both of you!
:clap: :mrgreen:

please note, that you have a doubled ending in the filename: .mp3.mp3
audacity adds it auomatically, you have to add the filename without filetype-suffix.

:-)

thx and cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

I re-posted with correct filename
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_21_suttner_128kb.mp3
length 11:02
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 10th, 2020, 7:27 am I re-posted with correct filename
perfect, thank you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

kathrinee wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 5:47 pm Here is section 16 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_16_suttner_128kb.mp3 (12:03)

Thank you!
heyho,

thank you for the recording! :-)

pl note:
- 3:29-3:33 repetition I could not, of course, expect to meet him

that's all :-)

thx again for the recording, it was a pleasure to listen to!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 10th, 2020, 7:27 am I re-posted with correct filename
heyho,

thank you for your recording!
:)

i do a little bit more of pling because it is your first recording - and you told me that you aim for some professional sounding recordings.
pl with a beginner bonus :)

--> this recording is checker and pl ok!
it was very nice to listen to you, i like your reading style. calm and not sooo fast, easy to read the text while listening..
to my humble opinion, it is a recording which falls in the category of one of our aims: we don't aim for perfection, but for a nice listening experience. eg like reading in a group at a campfire, or at home.

not a problem for your first recording, but suggestions - and maybe a pl note for other dpl and in the future:

- shorten the beginning silence (you can cut clicks and noises with that, too. ideally between, 0,5 to 1 second of silence. the recording should begin after pressing the start button: "in a heartbeat". 1,5 seconds are ok for me!)
- noise reduction in the ending silence
- noise is metered technically correct, but i can hear it. rather loud...
--> can it be, that you uploaded the unedited recording? did you do the noise reduction after saving the file? then it can happen, that you upload the version with noise. another hint to that: your recording with doubled suffix was shorter, too.

- some bumping noises and a sneezing? in the intro - no problem
- 0:42,5 click
- 0:47 click
- 0:55,5 click during a word
- 1:10 click
... clicks happen. some are clock ticks, some are mouth noises, some are microphone-clicks. i reduced them quite a bit with removing the clock from the wall in the room, putting felt between the wall and the clock in the neighbour room, and getting a new mic. the rest i edit, but: please, before you start editing thousands of clicks, just accept them. i edit the easy ones and am driving myself crazy with it :-) (eg per selecting the tik, press z on the keyboard to jump to zero-points on the sundwave, and then amplifying with (negative/minus!) -40 db). please note, that i stop here with listing clicks :-)
- 3:03,5 - 3:05,5 distant noise or breathing? could be amplified down
- 3:44-3,45: bumping on the mic (such noises are transferred by the mic stand, sometimes. best practice is to try to lower these bumps. whle recording, try to avoid contact with cables, desk, stand or mic. and maybe use a shockmount)
- 5:56,5 this bump did hurt my ears a bit
- 8:04,5 breath /blow directly in the mic?
- 8:19,5 breath /blow directly in the mic?
... plosives happen, but are easy to avoid: with reading technique and a popfilter. please note, that i cease to mention them here in this list.

- 8:35 stumble with mini-repetition. could be cut or amplified down
- 9-9:2,5 longish pause (try to shorten pauses longer than two seconds. = a rule of thumb i got for my recordings, when i was new.)

in case you want to deliver a really good, maybe even near to professional sounding file, please tell me. i will change the section status to see pl notes and will wait for your edited file.
but your section is pl ok, you don't have to.

in case you need some help with editing, cutting, amplifying and so on, please tell me - for now, i try to work on my pl-backlog :-)

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

Thanks wolfi for the excellent feedback. I will go through the recording and re-post it today or tomorrow.

I'm very encouraged that you like my style. I like to dramatize the action in my mind and read it that way.

The hardest part was trying to sound female.

Here is my latest edit:
I removed a lot of the clicks.
Length 10:58

A few comments:

to wolfi, re my latest edit of recording of Lay Down Your Arms

1. I made the silence at the beginning 1 second.
2. can it be, that you uploaded the unedited recording?
I only have one copy of the file. I just made a backup.
3. I don't understand how the noise reduction window works. I choose a sample, then the window goes away and I have to start over.
4. I remove clicks by first highlighting it, go to generate/silence/enter
I do like the amplify/-20 Db button though
5. I have discovered "Ctrl + R" it repeats my last action, a macro. So I can highlight a click and hit Ctrl+R to eliminate it.
6. I want a pop filter. Will cotton work?
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 12th, 2020, 9:22 am Thanks wolfi for the excellent feedback. I will go through the recording and re-post it today or tomorrow.

I'm very encouraged that you like my style. I like to dramatize the action in my mind and read it that way.

The hardest part was trying to sound female.

Here is my latest edit:
I removed a lot of the clicks.
Length 10:58

A few comments:

to wolfi, re my latest edit of recording of Lay Down Your Arms

I only have one copy of the file. I just made a backup.
3. I don't understand how the noise reduction window works. I choose a sample, then the window goes away and I have to start over.
5. I have discovered "Ctrl + R" it repeats my last action, a macro. So I can highlight a click and hit Ctrl+R to eliminate it.
thx :-)
I only have one copy of the file. I just made a backup. ah ok, then this was not the problem
yes, that's not self-explaining. first you choose a sample (eg the last 5 seconds of silece of your recording and click get sample. there is no noise reduction done, audacity just analyzed the sample. the window vanishes. then mark the whole recording (ctrl+a or click to the left of the soundwave in the field) and go to menue, effects. there, one of te first entries will be "repeat noise reduction". then the noise reduction will take place.
i never used generate silence, but heard, that it is soundin "unnatural". it is your decision... other possibilities include: you can amplify the marked part, or cut it, or you can copypaste another part of your recording.
there is a button? really? wehre is it? :-)
yeah it repeats the last effect! if you used noise reduction, last, it will repeat this. if you used amplify, it will repeat this effect...
natural fibres can distort the sound of your voice more. but i recommend to just give it a try!

i will enter the data asap, but beg fr your patience for the spot pl.
cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

Hi wolfi,
Thanks for help.
On 3. thanks for explaining the noise reduction filter.
4. I agree the silence is too harsh
there is no button i meant function
6. what are real pop filters made of? Maybe I'll just buy one.

No hurry doing this pl, I am busy with other projects

Regards,
glenn
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 13th, 2020, 8:33 am Hi wolfi,
Thanks for help.
On 3. thanks for explaining the noise reduction filter.
4. I agree the silence is too harsh
there is no button i meant function
6. what are real pop filters made of? Maybe I'll just buy one.

No hurry doing this pl, I am busy with other projects

Regards,
glenn
hi glenn,

sorry for the late answer.

popfilters:
there are different materials in use.
most have a sort of nylon stocking material, many are just wind-shielding foams - but there are also some metal-mesh patents around.
(i compared the latter to a mesh candle holder in my thoughts.. :roll: )
i think, most people use some self built ones, or a popfilter bpught with the mic.

gn
cheers
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sorry this is taking me so long. I have my unfinished section all done except that I must sort out some French. Once that's done I will also update my other two recordings.

This is an important work.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: October 21st, 2020, 5:45 pm Sorry this is taking me so long. I have my unfinished section all done except that I must sort out some French. Once that's done I will also update my other two recordings.

This is an important work.
no problem kevin, you were updating regularly :D
thx for taking care and:
enjoy reading!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275