COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 077 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Sue Anderson wrote: September 21st, 2020, 4:44 am
JachinandBoaz wrote: September 20th, 2020, 9:03 pm Good evening -

Here is Part 2 of the History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs:https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_part2-historyandlegendspaganarabs_nicholson_dwd_128kb.mp3

Duration: 54:15

Regards,
Daniel
Many thanks, Daniel! :D
Sue -

I was thinking about something this morning. The selections I've uploaded form more or less a comprehensive whole. However, the part about the history of Saba (Sheba) and ancient Yemen is somewhat helpful to the listener's understanding of the second chapter, which makes reference to events covered in chapter one.

When the collection gets catalogued, it'll be alphabetized, so the section on Saba will come after the section on Pre-Islamic Arabia. Is there a way of arranging those in the catalogue so that they're preserved in a serial fashion, so that the listeners are not left in suspense? I was racking my brain and wondered if this would be a more logical heading for my contributions to this edition:

A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 1: (Saba and Himyar)
A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 2: (The History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs), Part 1
A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 2: (The History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs), Part 2

Of course, it makes the chapter headings rather sprawling, but is this a possible workaround?

Daniel
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Daniel

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 7:29 am
Sue Anderson wrote: September 21st, 2020, 4:44 am
JachinandBoaz wrote: September 20th, 2020, 9:03 pm Good evening -

Here is Part 2 of the History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs:https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_part2-historyandlegendspaganarabs_nicholson_dwd_128kb.mp3

Duration: 54:15

Regards,
Daniel
Many thanks, Daniel! :D
Sue -

I was thinking about something this morning. The selections I've uploaded form more or less a comprehensive whole. However, the part about the history of Saba (Sheba) and ancient Yemen is somewhat helpful to the listener's understanding of the second chapter, which makes reference to events covered in chapter one.

When the collection gets catalogued, it'll be alphabetized, so the section on Saba will come after the section on Pre-Islamic Arabia. Is there a way of arranging those in the catalogue so that they're preserved in a serial fashion, so that the listeners are not left in suspense? I was racking my brain and wondered if this would be a more logical heading for my contributions to this edition:

A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 1: (Saba and Himyar)
A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 2: (The History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs), Part 1
A Literary History of the Arabs, Chapter 2: (The History and Legends of the Pagan Arabs), Part 2

Of course, it makes the chapter headings rather sprawling, but is this a possible workaround?

Daniel
Daniel, I must have missed this query about putting your contributions in logical order for the catalog when you first posted it; sorry about that! Yes, we can figure out how to arrange these selections. I'll bring this up with Jo, who does the cataloging, and we'll work it out for you! :D

One of the positives, for me, about being the BC of the Nonfiction Collection is the broad range of subjects to which it introduces me, including your topic, the Literary History of the Arabs! And then, of course, this opens me up to reading about topics to which I would never otherwise have given any thought... which brings me to a review I encountered just a few days ago on the JSTOR Daily site: "How Medieval Arabic Literature Viewed Lesbians." https://daily.jstor.org/how-medieval-arabic-literature-viewed-lesbians/. I found this to be an interesting article, which threw light on how women were portrayed in Medieval Arabic literature.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi InTheDessert,

Welcome to the Nonfiction Collection! :D Thank you very much for your contribution to vol. 077 of the Rev. Richard Glover's most interesting introspective essay about the more than 1300 sermons he had written and preached during his lifetime!

Among the things that I found fascinating was Glover's recounting of how his preaching improved when he changed the size of the paper he was using to write down the sermons, from a large sheet (which made it obvious to anyone listening that he was "just reading aloud,") to a small size (Albert, 4 x 6"), which he could slip between the pages of his Bible "...I believe it has a good and important effect on the minds of the people to see God's Word in the minister's hands, or lying open before him; and for texts, when they are quoted, to be read out of it, and not from out the sheets of a manuscript."

The specifications of your recording are fine; the file passed the LibriVox Checker app. There is one small thing that needs to be changed in your file name. We only use the author's last name, not the full name as you have done. Please wait to fix this until after your selection has been proof listened by Soupy (Craig), the the NSF's dedicated proof listener, in case there is anything that he says needs to be changed before cataloging.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the advice to young pastors InTheDessert :D

Nicely read and PLOK :thumbs:

It looks like he was a Baptist.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

soupy wrote: October 7th, 2020, 2:33 pm Thanks for the advice to young pastors InTheDessert :D

Nicely read and PLOK :thumbs:

It looks like he was a Baptist.

Craig
Thanks all. Here's the fixed filename:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_mycasesofoldsermons_glover_itd_128kb.mp3

InTheDessert... ah yes, my sweet tooth twin ;)

Interesting to hear his regrets in a previous age of having written to small - we would think nothing of scanning and enlarging a text but in past times, what you have written, you have written.

I found the text after it was cited in a previous book I recorded - it's interesting that interesting texts lead to other interesting texts. They are available on the internet but you wouldn't know what to look for unless they were recommended by someone.
Emotions
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, InThe Desert for the new file; magic window has been updated! :D How true what you say about one reading leading to another..

And the small print problem, yes... I also found fascinating Glover's description of his sermon register...how he kept track of those 1300 sermons! A veritable spread sheet. He was organized!!!
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

I've forgotten the protocol, because I haven't done this in awhile.
I just uploaded The Dilemma of Determinism, an essay by William James (1896)
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/26659/26659-h/26659-h.htm#P145

Thanks for your help.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

mitteldorf wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm I've forgotten the protocol, because I haven't done this in awhile.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Mitteldorf, Glad to have your contribution to vol. 077! :) We're not big on protocol at the SNF, but as a minimum we do need the URL of the recording you uploaded to the LibriVox server so I can put the file in the MW and Craig can proof listen it! The timing of the recording would be nice too.

Thanks,
Sue

Edit: this post PM'd to mitteldorf on 10/9
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks for the URL, mitteldorf! I've entered your file in the Magic Window, so Craig can start PLing. There is one small problem with the file name, which is that you've written the author as "wmjames." For the SNF, we only use the author's last name. I can see where you're coming from, in that you don't want us to confuse William with Henry, but it's my job as BC to keep them straight and enter the right "James" in the data base for cataloging, which I have.

Please wait for Craig to PL before you fix and re-upload your file with the corrected name. As to the timing [1:14:21:45 (h.mm.ss.ss) per the LibriVox Checker app], I'd say you must like to live dangerously. 74 minutes is the tops for a single file for the SNF. You're 21 seconds, 45 milliseconds over. I'm guessing it will fly, but I'm adding this to my list to check with our metacoordinator, Jo, about; and in case you need to divide your long file into two sections, I would allot you another section. For the time being, I'm leaving the timing as is.

Many thanks for your contribution to Volume 077! :D
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

mitteldorf wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm I've forgotten the protocol, because I haven't done this in awhile.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Mitteldorf, Craig is taking a few days off from PLing, so I PL'd this for you. It is PL OK. :)

"A common opinion prevails that the juice has ages ago been pressed out of the free-will controversy, and that no new champion can do more than warm up stale arguments which every one has heard. This is a radical mistake. I know of no subject less worn out, or in which inventive genius has a better chance of breaking open new ground,—not, perhaps, of forcing a conclusion or of coercing assent, but of deepening our sense of what the issue between the two parties really is, of what the ideas of fate and of free-will imply." William James
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Epistle to Diognetus
Unknown Author
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_epistletodiognetus_unknown_itd_128kb.mp3
Text: hhttps://archive.org/details/apostolicfather01lakegoog/page/n362/mode/2up
Translation date: 1917
Length 22:37

An early Christian letter/sermon.

Taking a break from my other projects because I had to move to an echoing room and can't continue on them until I get it sorted out.
Emotions
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

InTheDesert wrote: October 12th, 2020, 5:24 am The Epistle to Diognetus
Unknown Author
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_epistletodiognetus_unknown_itd_128kb.mp3
Text: hhttps://archive.org/details/apostolicfather01lakegoog/page/n362/mode/2up
Translation date: 1917
Length 22:37

An early Christian letter/sermon.

Taking a break from my other projects because I had to move to an echoing room and can't continue on them until I get it sorted out.
Hi InTheDesert
Thanks for this contribution to vol. 077! :) I'll PL it a little later today.