[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 13: The United States - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: October 9th, 2020, 5:20 am
alanmapstone wrote: October 8th, 2020, 9:32 amSection 68 - Battle Hymn
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_068_tappan_128kb.mp3
I had to adapt the traditional tune a bit as this version does not contain the usual chorus "Glory! Glory! Hallelujah"
brilliant rendering, Alan, I love this song so much, and there are so many versions/texts that go on this tune. :9:
It reminds me that I sung one as well for the monthly poetry once. It's Section 25 here in this project: https://librivox.org/short-poetry-collection-190-by-various/ I actually used the hallelujah chorus as well :mrgreen: my tempo is a bit different than yours, but I like yours very much. Sometimes the lines seemed too long for me to fit in the tune :lol: so I sound a bit awkward at times. Probably should have done another caesura or a syncopation somewhere that I missed. :hmm: Yours sounds much more fluent.
I originally tried a slower tempo to make it more hymn like but my voice tends to waver when I sing sustained notes slowly and that sounds so obvious on recordings. So for LV I tend to use brisker tempi. I did 3 versions of this song and this one had the quickest tempo, but I thought it sounded best although it is a bit quicker than this hymn would normally be done.
I am really out of practice with singing as all my regular choral singing activities have been suspended since March, even the local church choir 👎
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 9th, 2020, 5:44 amI am really out of practice with singing as all my regular choral singing activities have been suspended since March, even the local church choir 👎
yes it's disheartening. Well, I keep singing at home or in the car for myself then :mrgreen: I couldn't imagine my life without songs. I never sang in a choir though.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and to round it off today, Meg's sections...thanks !
As for your concern about the lengths, don't worry. I did not re-record them from scratch
ok, reassuring, thanks for the confirmation :thumbs:
In any case, here are the updated files. Hopefully these are all good!
Section 40 https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_040_tappan_128kb.mp3 3:00
Section 83 https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_083_tappan_128kb.mp3 3:06
section 40 is now PL ok

For 83 I have one further small note:

> from 0:17-0:20: between "painting p. 390" and "during the civil war" – also here over 3 seconds feels too long as a break, could you cut it down to 1.5 maximum please ? Strangely enough the pause was not that long in your previous version :hmm:
And while I have you, here's my first draft of Section 98, with the longform intro. Please let me know if I need to go back and make any edits to that one.
Section 98 https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_098_tappan_128kb.mp3 10:32
wow what an exciting naval battle this was. I was riveted by the narrative :shock: well read, Meg 8-) thanks

However, also here I would suggest a few cuts of silences. Especially since the battle is so adventurous, the long pauses feel like tearing one out of the ongoing events. I would at least shorten them those which are over 2 seconds long. Here's my list:

> at 0:42: you can cut "note" at the beginning. This is actually not what was meant with the footnotes, so you can simply read this part as it's in the book, ending with "the editor" (also try to shorten the silence a bit ;) ) Footnotes are indeed at the bottom of the page and signalled by a small number in the text

> from 0:54-0:56: between "the editor" and "almost before": again, I would shorten the silence to about 1.5 seconds maximum

> from 3:53-3:55: between "Cristobal Colon" and "just then" – also here

> from 7:31-7:33: between "she made such time" and "the Brooklyn might" - and here

thanks

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: October 9th, 2020, 5:37 am
not so much fun for those who vomited away their headaches in the thin air on that ascent :lol: difficult explorations those were. Ever traipsed there yourself ? I personally am not much of a mountain person but I can appreciate the awe-inspiring grandeur from afar.

And another wonderful narration is in the box, thank you Devorah 8-) flawlessly PL ok again.

Sonia
Yes, not much fun for them at the time. And I'm tempted to say something about how stupid it was to go off without coats and mounts like that, thinking you'll be back before dark. :roll: But I don't really mean it. The thing is, I know what the Rockies are like, and these guys didn't, yet.

So yes, I have been to the Rocky Mountains, although not to this peak. I've been to the top of Pike's Peak, but I got there by train the first time and by car the second time. There's a hiking trail you can take to the top, which takes most people about two days. I'd like to try it one day, but I don't know when/if I'll ever get the chance. I adore mountains! If it weren't for the fact that I hate cold weather, I'd happily live in the mountains for the rest of my life.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 amAnd I'm tempted to say something about how stupid it was to go off without coats and mounts like that, thinking you'll be back before dark. :roll:
I thought exactly the same... a bit blue-eyed for explorers
I got there by train the first time and by car the second time.
ah ok, the easy way :lol: yes I guess that is not comparable to back then
I'd happily live in the mountains for the rest of my life.
as long as there is an internet connection ;)

Sonia
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 78 - Gunboats

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_078_tappan_128kb.mp3
2:04

This is a strange picture description as it makes no reference to the contents of the picture. I thought I had read the wrong bit :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'd like to return sectio 62 to the pool (Underground Railway). I don't think I can do the dialect bits justice.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Piotrek81 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 2:51 am I'd like to return sectio 62 to the pool (Underground Railway). I don't think I can do the dialect bits justice.
thank you for your sections, Piotr and Alan. Will probably PL tomorrow though, a bit busy today.

Piotr, thanks for letting me know, I'll return the section back to the pool. So we are back to Readers Wanted (hopefully temporarily)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I can try 62. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 5:32 am I can try 62. Jim
! that was fast, great, thanks. Now I am curious HOW bad this dialect is :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jim: I also 3 more shorties for you to PL, whenever you have time:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_037_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:35 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_065_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:55 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume13_103_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:28 min.

thanks

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

All of your choices were very interesting. Of course, my favorite is the one about John Brown, who is one of my heroes. I did a short book about him some time ago for LV. Excellent job on all three. PL OK all round! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: October 11th, 2020, 11:49 amAll of your choices were very interesting. Of course, my favorite is the one about John Brown, who is one of my heroes. I did a short book about him some time ago for LV. Excellent job on all three. PL OK all round! :thumbs:
thank you, Jim :) yes, he seems to have been an interesting character.

I will PL all the outstanding sections today, promised !

Sonia