Greetings from Cambridge

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

Hiya
Just a short note to introduce myself.
My name is Jim, currently residing in Cambridge, UK.
I'm 41 years old, male, history buff and slave to my two cats.

I'm enthused and delighted by projects such as this which engender such a community spirit and the desire to give something to that community in order to enrich it.

It's a fine project.
Congrats to everyone involved.
I haven't got a particularly good speaking voice myself but hoping I can help out in some way.

Regards

Jim
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Jim. It's great to have you here. I think there are many people here who can relate to your cat situation.

Many of us are uncomfortable with our voices, so do not feel alone. We have been reassured by the wonderful support of everyone else. But if you genuinely would prefer not to do voice recordings, we could use a lot of help "proof" listening to content, so feel free to jump in there.

Welcome aboard!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Though we certainly don't want to push you into reading if you really don't wish to, vee's exactly right - not a one of us likes the way we sound at first. LibriVox is a volunteer project and we're happy to have readers of ALL abilities helping with these projects.

Having said that however, there is also a crying need for people to listen to these readings before they're released to the public. Visit this link in order to help with this part of LibriVox. There's a lot of work going on here; not all of it is reading!

http://librivox.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Welcome to LibriVox, Jim! It's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

ChipDoc wrote:Though we certainly don't want to push you into reading if you really don't wish to, vee's exactly right - not a one of us likes the way we sound at first. LibriVox is a volunteer project and we're happy to have readers of ALL abilities helping with these projects.

Having said that however, there is also a crying need for people to listen to these readings before they're released to the public. Visit this link in order to help with this part of LibriVox. There's a lot of work going on here; not all of it is reading!

http://librivox.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Welcome to LibriVox, Jim! It's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!
Many thanks for the welcome
I've had a look at the link you give but it seems most of the topics have 'listeners found' so nothing for me at the moment there.
I have had a bash at recording a chapter for 3 men in a boat and quite enjoyed doing it.
I've also been reading some of the advice as regards recording audio and may be able to improve my recordings to the point where I don't cringe too much.
Probably the best advice was the bit about sounding confident and relaxed. If the speaker is tense then its not going to be a relaxing experience for the listener. Hearing my own chapter back I can hear that's an area which I shall have to work on.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

jimmowatt wrote: Many thanks for the welcome
I've had a look at the link you give but it seems most of the topics have 'listeners found' so nothing for me at the moment there.
Yes, I was just thinking about that... now we just need to get people to complete their recordings so that we have stuff for our listening volunteers to do =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Cori

Post by Cori »

jimmowatt wrote:I have had a bash at recording a chapter for 3 men in a boat and quite enjoyed doing it.
Great choice for a starting book, Jim ... perhaps just another chapter or two here or there while you wait for some listening to come in.

[It's okay, chaps, he'll get hooked on recording just like us ... :D]

Nah, seriously, though, have fun! I'm glad you're enjoying things so far, and long may it stay that way!

Greetings from my cats to yours :)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

Oh, don't be silly!

I can just hear your voice on the computer now, and I love Cambridge voices. They are something of a fetish for me.

Hello to you and the cats, and there are some great Australian history books on Gutenberg.