Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BindyB

Post by BindyB »

I'll take Section 54.

Thanks,

Belinda
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

I would like to read Chap 78 Mr Cheeseacre's Fate of Can you forgive her.

My e-mail address is garymil@act2sc3.com and I'm Mil Nicholson.

Anthony Trollope was a most unfavorable writer at school, but I can look upon him with better eyes now.

I look forward to joining your band of readers - good chance I'll need some help with uploading.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I'm getting read to edit chapter 42, Parliament Meets. I wanted to ask about the pronunciation of 2 names. Lord Cinquebars (I pronounced it as Sink-bars) and St. Bungay (I pronounced this one as Saint Bun-gay - short vowel on the Bun and long vowel on gay.)

Does anyone know the correction pronunciation for these names?

Thanks! :D
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Claire....
No expert, but being from England originally, the natural way would be long vowel Bun and short vowel gay.
Hope this helps.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Does "long" mean "Bun" is pronounced "byoon" or "boon"? I would guess, Bun rhymes with gun, gay rhymes with pay, with accent on "bun", but I gues we need more opinions, as I'm an American! :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

BindyB wrote:I'll take Section 54.

Thanks,

Belinda
Thank you for volunteering! Sec 54 is yours.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Mermaid wrote:I would like to read Chap 78 Mr Cheeseacre's Fate of Can you forgive her.

My e-mail address is garymil@act2sc3.com and I'm Mil Nicholson.

Anthony Trollope was a most unfavorable writer at school, but I can look upon him with better eyes now.

I look forward to joining your band of readers - good chance I'll need some help with uploading.
Yes, past critics have disparaged Trollope, but you will find he has some fans on LV! I've read more than 40 of his novels . . . :hmm:
but welcome! Sec 78 is yours! :)
Claire

Post by Claire »

kmerline wrote:Does "long" mean "Bun" is pronounced "byoon" or "boon"? I would guess, Bun rhymes with gun, gay rhymes with pay, with accent on "bun", but I gues we need more opinions, as I'm an American! :)
Yes, Mermaid, I'm not sure what 'long' vowel means in England, either. :P
In the US, it's as kmerline describes it above.

I did notice that another reader pronounced Cinquebars as 'Sin-cue-bars'. That helps since it sounded like she knew what she was doing! :D
Maikki

Post by Maikki »

Claire wrote: and St. Bungay (I pronounced this one as Saint Bun-gay - short vowel on the Bun and long vowel on gay.)
:D
I had St Bungay in a couple of my chapters earlier and pronounced them like the words 'bung' and 'gay', with emphasis on 'bung'.
But I haven't listened to others' readings yet, so don't know if I'm a majority of one ? (and yes, bung is probably not really a word, is it... :))
Maikki
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Id say cinque should have one syllable. Its French for five, isn't it? I've heard that kind of cinque actually sound like "sank" as in "sink, sank, sunk"! but that's the French nasal vowel sound.

I'm just going to say that we can't really enforce unity on pronounciation, and anyway, LibriVox policy is "Do the best you can, but sound confident." So, although it's good to make the effort, please don't let this hold you up too long. :)
Claire

Post by Claire »

Well, in that case, I'll just leave my 'interpretation' as is! 8) Our readings will give our listeners a bit of our local 'color' that way! :D
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Good! :D
Claire

Post by Claire »

Here's chapter 42:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/200710/canyouforgiveher_42_trollope.mp3

May I claim chapter 48- Preparations for Lady Monk's Party? :D
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you, Claire, Ch 48 is yours. :)
BindyB

Post by BindyB »