[Complete]Coffee Break Collection #29 - DOGS - Lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

Thank you for the feedback msfry.
I will re-record and before I do so refresh the page with the link (good tip). It appeared to be old text and hopefully I can recapture the humor - it might even be better reading another time.
-Grant

msfry wrote: September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm PL Notes A Dog Day

Hi Grant, what an unusual and delightful story! You did a great job bringing out the humor. Alas, I have a few notes for you to attend to:

4:23 missing word: "Memo: to take it out of her kittens later."
9:08 missing text, and two time errors: You read 8:10 and 8:20, but it really is 8:01, followed by 8:02, then you skip 8:05 thru 8:30, and pick up again at 8:40.

8:1.
Ravenous.
8:2.
Have one of the nicest pieces of coal I have ever
come across.
8:5.
Nose around the kitchen floor, and glean a bit of
onion, an imitation tortoise-shell comb, a shrimp
(almost entire), an abominably stale chunk of
bread, and about half a yard of capital string.
After coal, I think I like string best. The family
have noticed what a lot of this I stow away, and
it was not a bad idea of young Mr. Brown’s, the
other day, that, if I had the end of a piece of
string always hanging from my mouth, they could
use me as a string-box. Though it is scarcely a
matter for joking about. Still, it made me laugh.
8:30.
If one had to rely on other people one might
starve. Fortunately, in the hall I happen on the
treacle-pudding, and I get first look in. Lap up
the treacle, and leave the suet for the family.

8:40.
Down into the kitchen again. Sit by the fire,
and pretend I don’t know what treacle is like.

Outro: End of A Dog Day, A is missing.
------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP: I'm betting you didn't follow along with the text on your final PL of your file, or you would surely have noticed the missing text above. Is that right? Some readers rely on PL'ers to discover such errors. However, be aware that not all PLers follow along with the text, so they wouldn't catch the missing text either. I always follow along, on my own and other readers' files. I don't want any authors gazing at me from above and smacking their foreheads in horror at my mussing with their story.

TIP #2 For some weird reason, text sometimes goes missing from a gutenberg project. It's there when you record it, and not there when you proof it, or vice versa. Same link, same story. So I ALWAYS refresh a gutenberg page every time I use it. Like I clicked on your link, and then when it opened I refreshed the page. It's one of those "mysteries" I don't bother to try and figure out. I just pass the suggestion along.
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

Here is my re-recording. 11m56s. Thank you for the pointers.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_adogday_gl_128kb.mp3

-Grant

grant007love wrote: October 8th, 2020, 1:55 pm Thank you for the feedback msfry.
I will re-record and before I do so refresh the page with the link (good tip). It appeared to be old text and hopefully I can recapture the humor - it might even be better reading another time.
-Grant

msfry wrote: September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm PL Notes A Dog Day

Hi Grant, what an unusual and delightful story! You did a great job bringing out the humor. Alas, I have a few notes for you to attend to:

4:23 missing word: "Memo: to take it out of her kittens later."
9:08 missing text, and two time errors: You read 8:10 and 8:20, but it really is 8:01, followed by 8:02, then you skip 8:05 thru 8:30, and pick up again at 8:40.

8:1.
Ravenous.
8:2.
Have one of the nicest pieces of coal I have ever
come across.
8:5.
Nose around the kitchen floor, and glean a bit of
onion, an imitation tortoise-shell comb, a shrimp
(almost entire), an abominably stale chunk of
bread, and about half a yard of capital string.
After coal, I think I like string best. The family
have noticed what a lot of this I stow away, and
it was not a bad idea of young Mr. Brown’s, the
other day, that, if I had the end of a piece of
string always hanging from my mouth, they could
use me as a string-box. Though it is scarcely a
matter for joking about. Still, it made me laugh.
8:30.
If one had to rely on other people one might
starve. Fortunately, in the hall I happen on the
treacle-pudding, and I get first look in. Lap up
the treacle, and leave the suet for the family.

8:40.
Down into the kitchen again. Sit by the fire,
and pretend I don’t know what treacle is like.

Outro: End of A Dog Day, A is missing.
------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP: I'm betting you didn't follow along with the text on your final PL of your file, or you would surely have noticed the missing text above. Is that right? Some readers rely on PL'ers to discover such errors. However, be aware that not all PLers follow along with the text, so they wouldn't catch the missing text either. I always follow along, on my own and other readers' files. I don't want any authors gazing at me from above and smacking their foreheads in horror at my mussing with their story.

TIP #2 For some weird reason, text sometimes goes missing from a gutenberg project. It's there when you record it, and not there when you proof it, or vice versa. Same link, same story. So I ALWAYS refresh a gutenberg page every time I use it. Like I clicked on your link, and then when it opened I refreshed the page. It's one of those "mysteries" I don't bother to try and figure out. I just pass the suggestion along.
msfry

Post by msfry »

No need to re-record, Grant. Just splice in the missing text, and you'll be all set. :D

EDIT: Oops, looks like I sent this too late! I will listen soon.
msfry

Post by msfry »

A Dog Day is PL OK. Yes, even better! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Yaller is PL OK. How in the world can we explain how these special dogs behave? Can't. They are just "amazing".
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes for The Cur Dog

3:50 the dog held him, you say "the log held him", because that is how it is printed!!!!! Alas, OCR texts often misinterpret characters, and we have to be on the lookout for and correct them.
Outro: Please add 4 seconds of silence. (This is to prevent certain audio players from cutting the story off prematurely.)
roboro

Post by roboro »

msfry wrote: October 9th, 2020, 8:01 am PL Notes for The Cur Dog

3:50 the dog held him, you say "the log held him", because that is how it is printed!!!!! Alas, OCR texts often misinterpret characters, and we have to be on the lookout for and correct them.
Outro: Please add 4 seconds of silence. (This is to prevent certain audio players from cutting the story off prematurely.)
Thanks. I deliberated over that for a while and then decided that I couldn't know whether there was some intention here... like perhaps people used 'log' as some kind of colloquial term for a particular type of dog. I went with what was printed, but it made me stumble :)
I have uploaded with a bit of a sketchy fix and the additional 4 seconds of silence.

Thanks for the proof!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_thecurdog_rgp_128kb.mp3
cbc29_thecurdog_rgp_128kb.mp3
File Size
12.2 MiB

Encoding Type
MPEG-1 Layer III (encoded with LAME3.100)
MP3 Format
128 kbps 44,100 Hz Mono
Track Length
13:20.71 (m:ss.ss)

Volume
86.7 dB
DC Bias
+0 (-0.0000%)
Clipped Audio
0 ms (0.00%)

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Rowan. The Cur Dog is PL OK. Your reading style is wonderful, by the way and I hope you continue reading for LV.

EDITING TIP: Sometimes it's best to re-record a whole phrase rather than just one word, then feather it in to your existing phrase. Also, if say you aren't near your microphone, you can find the faulty word somewhere else in your recording, like in this case the word DOG appears frequently, including the title. You just copy and paste it over your mistaken word, and avoid the glitch that occurs trying to snip out or replace just the first letter of a word.
You can do a "find" in the text to locate another iteration of it. It's a technique I use when having to correct a reader's file if they have disappeared but I'd like to keep their work.

In this case it's clear that the word is dog, even with the glitch, so it's okay as is. :D
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

I would like to record "Rats!" from the book "Pussy and Doggy Tales" by Edith Nesbitt, if no one has already asked to do it.

-Ceri
msfry

Post by msfry »

CeriD wrote: October 28th, 2020, 1:31 pm I would like to record "Rats!" from the book "Pussy and Doggy Tales" by Edith Nesbitt, if no one has already asked to do it.

-Ceri
No problem with recording already recorded material. Just review the first post and submit the necessary information: text link you read from, author, file name, file length, year of publication, etc. It's not in this collection yet, so I'll be mighty glad to hear it.
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Hi,
I didn't see an MC for IT - Lynnet, so I uploaded to Lynnet - Lynnet.

Please let me know if this is incorrect, so I can try again.

Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_rats_cd_128kb.mp3

file length - 4:23

Title - Rats!

Author - E. Nesbit

Link to online text - https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27190

Please let me know if you need me to fix anything.

Best regards,
Ceri
msfry

Post by msfry »

CeriD wrote: October 29th, 2020, 7:50 pm Hi,
I didn't see an MC for IT - Lynnet, so I uploaded to Lynnet - Lynnet.

Please let me know if this is incorrect, so I can try again.

Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_rats_cd_128kb.mp3

file length - 4:23

Title - Rats!

Author - E. Nesbit

Link to online text - https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27190

Please let me know if you need me to fix anything.

Best regards,
Ceri
Unfortunately, lt looks like Capital i-t, but you got it right. The instruction is toward the bottom of the first post, too.
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
Maybe we can persuade Lynne to use the capital L-t
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ha Ha. Rats! Cute. This story is PL OK.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

[/quote]Unfortunately, lt looks like Capital i-t, but you got it right. The instruction is toward the bottom of the first post, too.
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
Maybe we can persuade Lynne to use the capital L-t
[/quote]

I have been known to capitalize, but as everyone else uses lower case for their initials, it looked out of place. And, of course, in the dropdown menu, whoever set it up (chocoholic, I think) just put Lynnet-Lynnet, with no initials at all :roll:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynnet wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:01 am I have been known to capitalize, but as everyone else uses lower case for their initials, it looked out of place.
I vote for Lt if it doesn't affect anything else. To me it's just a signal in the subject line which MC has picked up the project. Are the initials used anywhere else?