Suggestions, please. Longer Xmas works.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I will soon be reading a very long suspenseful horror story for my friend in Indiana and it should take me into mid-November. At some point I will shift my reading to Christmas-themed works.

Because I do not record these readings, I can read anything I wish without violating copyright laws, but I would not ask from you any titles that are not in the public domain. (That just seems right to me for our forums.)

I am planning on reading a novel about a Belgian detective, however. (Hint, hint.)

Have you all any suggestions for longer works with Christmas themes? (I don't think I'll be doing any Dickens.) The LV catalog is, happily, jam-packed with possibilities, but it looks like most titles are short stories.

Any help much appreciated!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:06 pm Maybe something from this Gutenberg link:

http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=Christmas&submit_search=Search
I'll give it a try! Thanks!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:06 pm Maybe something from this Gutenberg link:

http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=Christmas&submit_search=Search
The Old Peabody Pew: A Christmas Romance of a Country Church looks good, though I was told no love stories. (Why, I can't imagine.) I may read it anyways!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hey kevin, have you seen this thread? i added dozens of christmas type texts, most of them are novels or short story collections. I didnt check if any of them were recorded last season though, so be sure to check the catalogue too :) thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22418
Carolin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There was, maybe still is- a tradition of telling ghost stories at night at Christmas certainly in Victorian times (it's not dark enough after dinner here in December for many of those traditions to persist). Just another path you could pursue apart from Santa and love stories.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: October 10th, 2020, 5:20 am There was, maybe still is- a tradition of telling ghost stories at night at Christmas certainly in Victorian times (it's not dark enough after dinner here in December for many of those traditions to persist). Just another path you could pursue apart from Santa and love stories.

Anne
That is another excellent idea! Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Carolin wrote: October 10th, 2020, 5:04 am hey kevin, have you seen this thread? i added dozens of christmas type texts, most of them are novels or short story collections. I didnt check if any of them were recorded last season though, so be sure to check the catalogue too :) thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22418
Thank you! I'll have a look.

I guess there's a lot to choose from!