COMPLETE [ANCIENT MEDICINE] Natural History, volume 6, by Pliny the Elder - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rennis

Post by Rennis »

ColleenMc wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:46 pm Here is section 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_01_128kb.mp3

31:04

Colleen

Hello!
I am writing with my PL notes for Section 1! But first off, well done with your reading! It definitely was dynamic, and interesting for me to listen to!

So here are my PL notes:

8:56 – I hear (if I’m not mistaken) something like “thought” (past tense of “to think”) – it should be “though”. Please would you mind checking this (and let me know if I am wrong)? (In the text, it’s halfway through page 156.)

30:13 – I hear a minor stumble (or repetition) here: “and for… and for cases of incipient phthisis”. (In the text, this is at the top of page 167.)

One more thing that I thought I’d ask you about: I assume numbers between brackets (parentheses) don’t need to be read, do they? I am referring, for example, to that “(2)” beginning the third paragraph on page 156 (this instance, specifically, would occur at 8:22, if that was to be read of course!). In any case, please feel free to ignore this if, in your experience, the recording is just OK in this respect!

I hope that helps! :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I will check on the corrections in a day or two...currently dogsitting in a house where people are preparing to move and everything echoes here!

As for the brackets, I had the same question so I went and listened to some chapters that had bracketed numbers in the previous volume and they were skipped so I did the same...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I went ahead and made the correction -- you can definitely tell it's a patch, and if it sounds too awful I'll re-record at home, but I wanted to get it done if I could.

Time is now 31:03

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks,Rennis and Colleen!

The bracketed numbers do not need to be read, sorry for not clarifying it earlier.
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks for clarification! Do you know what they are for?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

They usually indicate old/disputed divisions of the books. So, for example, some manuscript might bring the chapters in a different order, or with a different division. So, in some other tradition that point in the text is the beginning of chapter 3. That is more common with some ancient authors than others, and also very common for poetry, where the division of books, or even poems themselves, might be disputed. :)
Leni
=================
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

This book looks a little lonely, and I only know Pliny by reputation, so something new to learn. :)

May I claim Section 15: Book 29, Chapters 1 to 10 ?

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Owlivia wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:39 pm This book looks a little lonely, and I only know Pliny by reputation, so something new to learn. :)

May I claim Section 15: Book 29, Chapters 1 to 10 ?

Owlivia/Deborah
Pliny does need some love, thank you! :lol: The first volume of this work was cataloged in 2010... :cry:

Thanks for claiming, quite an interesting section indeed.
Leni
=================
Rennis

Post by Rennis »

ColleenMc wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:27 am I went ahead and made the correction -- you can definitely tell it's a patch, and if it sounds too awful I'll re-record at home, but I wanted to get it done if I could.

Time is now 31:03

Colleen
Hi!

I just checked it, and I think Section 1 is PL OK now! :)
So well done!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

carleesbale

Post by carleesbale »

I would love to proof listen to some sections for you, let me know what I can do!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

carleesbale wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:25 am I would love to proof listen to some sections for you, let me know what I can do!
That is great, thanks! Have you proof-listened before? If not, here is some useful information: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

But please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubts!
Leni
=================
Hurrikane1995

Post by Hurrikane1995 »

Can I proofread for chapters 22-48, as well as chapters 49-70 of book 26??
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Well, no one has claimed them yet :? So there is nothing to prooflisten, unfortunately. We need more readers here. :wink:
Leni
=================
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_15_128kb.mp3

30:59.21

Some "wild and WOOLY" medicines in the list. ;)
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉