[COMPLETE] [Fictional War Biography] Lay Down Your Arms by Bertha von Suttner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi minnie,

this sections is waiting for your edits since april, last time i saw you were online was may.
are you online, still?
do you want to edit this?
please post an answer here or pm me!

thx a lot!
cheers,

sent per pm, also.

schrm wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:22 am
MinnieMinford wrote: April 14th, 2020, 3:20 pm Sorry -- I forgot! My section 8 recording is 09:47 minutes long.
hi minnie,

wow what a section.
i'm really impressed, your accent, your character interpretation, mesmerizing..and so fast!
and all in all, a funeral scenery... i had no trouble, was able to understand everything and even got the feels - thank you :-D

i have 2 pl notes, which i hope, are fast to solve:
- the average volume of your recording is 92,8 dB - we aim for 89 db with a range of +-3db, so this file is too high in volume and should be amplified for -3,8 db
- after doing so, there is a part in the recording, which is a little bit low in volume: minute 5-6, approximately.
i suggest marking this part, amplifying it with a value of +3 db.

that is to say, maybe some audacity tools like the compressor can be of help. what i know, files with varying volume are very easy to edit in one go with that. but i honestly never used it, so i have to hint to phils videos for that!

thank you for the recording, minnie - and please, don't get frustrated by this pl note.
it was a pleasure to listen to your recording an i needed some minutes to get back to my pl...

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MinnieMinford

Post by MinnieMinford »

Hey!

Thanks for the little nudge the other day. Here's the re-recording--

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/laydownarms_08_suttner_128kb.mp3

9 mins 7 secs

I hope everything's OK :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'd like to claim sections 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20, please :)
Kathrine
schrm

Post by schrm »

MinnieMinford wrote: July 15th, 2020, 11:46 am Hey!

9 mins 7 secs

thank you so much minnie!
...i do apologize, didn't want you to hurry... and i'm looking forward to pl this as soon as possible! in a few hours!
:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

kathrinee wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:16 pm I'd like to claim sections 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20, please :)
welcome to lay down your arms!

thank you for your claims, 16-20 are yours!
:9:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

MinnieMinford wrote: July 15th, 2020, 11:46 am Hey!

9 mins 7 secs

hi minnie,

checker and spot pl perfectly ok :-)

thank you!

:clap:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi caffrey,

are you on librivox, still?
do you want to read these sections, still?
thx for your answer!

cheers,

sent per pm, also
schrm wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 2:45 am
Caffrey160 wrote: June 1st, 2020, 10:28 pm Hi, there! Could I claim sections 31-34? Thank you!
heyho caffrey :-)

welcome to librivox and welcome to lay down your arms!
i will happily assign 31-34 to you, but please:

1. that are a lot of claims for a new reader. so, please, remember: you can give back and unclaim anysection anytime, no questions asked!

2. first, please rcord and upload a 1 minute test. further informations, links and video tutorials are in our librivox-wiki

3. please tell me the name you want to publish on your reader page in our catalogue:
- every reader gets a catalogue page.
- your catalogue name can be an alias, your forum name or your real name (or something else) (if you want to read a name in the recordings, it should be the catalogue name)
- it even offers some additional functionalities (for yourself, as a reader) and an overview over your claims, eg.
- we can publish a link to a homepage or a blog, if existing and you wish so
--> please tell me your name in the catalogue (with punctuation) and the link

thank you for your wish to contribute to the public domain and to lay down your arms! :-)

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

for the records: the pm stays unread, no reaction of caffrey160 - sections are free to claim again!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Kathrine
schrm

Post by schrm »

good morning,

i will enter the data asap and: big thx!

cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

I would like to read 21
I'm new here
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 6th, 2020, 7:47 pm I would like to read 21
I'm new here
hi glennster,

welcome to librivox and welcome to lay down your arms!

i see, you are a member for some years, contributed a test but it has been a while..

so i have to ask back a bit, or better: i can offer two things!
we need to be sure that your recordings fullfill the tech specs.
1. please do a 1 minute test, upload it to the test folder, and wait for feedback.
2. the section is assigned to you and waiting for your recording. no one else can claim it.
for further informations, please have a look in our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
in our wiki you will find all informations, links, video tutorials and much more :-)

the other way:
in case you know about our tech specs and the recording basics we need, upload the section here. since i am the dpl for this book, i will pl it. (please note, that my schedule allows pling on weekends (at the moment). that means, you will get to test feedback and results faster, when doing the normal procedure.)

in both cases, please tell me under which name you want to be listed in our catalogue.
- every reader gets a catalogue page.
- your catalogue name can be an alias, your forum name or your real name (or something else) (if you want to read a name in the recordings, it should be the catalogue name)
- it offers some additional functionalities (for yourself, as a reader) and an overview over your claims, eg.
- we can publish a link to a homepage or a blog, if existing and you wish so
--> please tell me your name in the catalogue (with punctuation) and the link

thank you for your claim, glennster and: have fun reccording!
:-D

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

Hi, nice to hear from you. I will do a 1-minute recording. I will just use my own name, Glenn Turner.
I actually do have a blog, it would be fun to get people to visit it. https://creativity413282887.wordpress.com/
I want to read philosophy texts, maybe some other genres too.

I'm posting the test recording. I want it to sound professional. It has a bad hollow tone. How can I get rid of it? I have placed towels on my desk and wall. I used 3 effects in audacity to improve the sound:
high pass filter, default setting
Amplify, 6.8
Noise reduction

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_glennster.mp3

I'm familiar with the software. I just have this cheap microphone right now. I may decide to get a better mic, around $25
I don't have a headset.
Thanks

Talk to you soon.
Glenn
schrm

Post by schrm »

Glennster wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:30 am Hi, nice to hear from you. I will do a 1-minute recording. I will just use my own name, Glenn Turner.
I actually do have a blog, it would be fun to get people to visit it. https://creativity413282887.wordpress.com/
I want to read philosophy texts, maybe some other genres too.

I'm posting the test recording. I want it to sound professional. It has a bad hollow tone. How can I get rid of it? I have placed towels on my desk and wall. I used 3 effects in audacity to improve the sound:
high pass filter, default setting
Amplify, 6.8
Noise reduction

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_glennster.mp3

I'm familiar with the software. I just have this cheap microphone right now. I may decide to get a better mic, around $25
I don't have a headset.
Thanks

Talk to you soon.
Glenn

hi glenn,

1. your reader page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/15078
in case you need to change something, please post in the help forums - a mc can make changes like a new link or something else :-)

2. thak you for your recording! your 1 minute test has a variable bitrate around 95 kbps. we need a constant bitrate of 128 kbps. these are just tw settings in the export dialogue, though :-)

3. the rest of your editing is, to be honest, way over my levels and absolutely ok for our standards.
your test result this time is not ok, but because of the bitrate, only!

4. the hollow sound is.. i do agree, that should be the mics fault. it sounds like a laptop mic (badly placed), or a badly insulated one. the hollow sound should come from within the mics shell, not because of the room.
that said, it is possible, that a cushion or two behind the mic would add to effect of the blankets on the desk. or recording into a cabinet. or...

all in all: i really do think that this test has no quality problems but the bitrate.

(and wether you buy a new mic is not my decision - i did it and i was angry, that i waited so long. but all in all, i like my first recordings and they are ok just like yours ;-)
i began with a ten euro mic and bought a 150 euro bundle. i learned how to edit with the cheap mic. i sounded mudddy. with noise removal the results were quite ok.
yes, let me tell you this to suggest that:
maybe, before buying another mic, try recording with this mic a bit. when you are sure, you want to keep on librivoxing, then a new mic will be a worthy investment for your hobby.)

good night!
cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Glennster

Post by Glennster »

Very helpful thanks, i'll try muffling the mic. The bitrate was set at 128, but I guess it must have changed when I added the effects? How do I fix that? I want to try again with the test. I'll try to post it where you want but it's a little confusing.