Zoom meeting video

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Is there another zoomie scheduled?

I'm slightly less grumpy these days.

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Nobody is more inferior than those who insist on being equal."
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 12:57 pm Is there another zoomie scheduled?

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Nobody is more inferior than those who insist on being equal."
You bet there is! And I'm sorry you are feeling a bit less grumpy these days. Don't worry, it will pass and you will be back to your normal really grumpy status. (Grumpy =feeling Grouchy & Lumpy at the same time)

Phil Chenevert is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. You don't need the ID or passcode but they are free.

Topic: LibriVox - Editing, Word Counting & Dramatic Readings - Whew!
Time: Oct 4, 2020 12:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89568215108?pwd=c2NMYUZ0VTBNL2E5OW5aU01hUlhXQT09

Meeting ID: 895 6821 5108
Passcode: 545276
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 12:57 pm Is there another zoomie scheduled?

Yes. We ask that everyone wear a party hat.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Yes. We ask that everyone wear a party hat.
I will if you will. But then we'd need to see you.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

https://youtu.be/OFE53HjQHg4

Zoom meeting video from today Oct 4, 2020.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Excellent meeting :thumbs: I especially enjoyed Devorah's talk on how dramatic readings are put together - so much work! It reminded me of what I read about the recording of the book "Lincoln in the Bardo" (I've read the book, but haven't listened to the audio version yet.) It must have been quite a project, according to this section from Wikipedia:

Saunders has typically recorded his stories' audiobook adaptations himself, but given this novel's cast of 166 characters, he did not feel he could be the sole voice actor for its adaptation. His friend Nick Offerman agreed early in the production process to take a role, as did Offerman's wife, Megan Mullally. The two then recruited Julianne Moore, Don Cheadle, Rainn Wilson, and Susan Sarandon. Non-celebrities with parts include Saunders's wife, his children, and various of his friends. Other notable narrators include David Sedaris, Carrie Brownstein, Lena Dunham, Keegan-Michael Key, Miranda July, Ben Stiller, Bradley Whitford, Bill Hader, Mary Karr, Jeffrey Tambor, Kat Dennings, Jeff Tweedy, and Patrick Wilson.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here's another link regarding the "Lincoln in the Bardo" recording. Very interesting and something that LibriVoxers can appreciate. Especially those who do dramatic readings: https://www.wired.com/2017/02/george-saunders-bardo-white-house-audiobook/

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:37 pm Excellent meeting :thumbs: I especially enjoyed Devorah's talk on how dramatic readings are put together - so much work! It reminded me of what I read about the recording of the book "Lincoln in the Bardo" (I've read the book, but haven't listened to the audio version yet.) It must have been quite a project, according to this section from Wikipedia:

Saunders has typically recorded his stories' audiobook adaptations himself, but given this novel's cast of 166 characters, he did not feel he could be the sole voice actor for its adaptation. His friend Nick Offerman agreed early in the production process to take a role, as did Offerman's wife, Megan Mullally. The two then recruited Julianne Moore, Don Cheadle, Rainn Wilson, and Susan Sarandon. Non-celebrities with parts include Saunders's wife, his children, and various of his friends. Other notable narrators include David Sedaris, Carrie Brownstein, Lena Dunham, Keegan-Michael Key, Miranda July, Ben Stiller, Bradley Whitford, Bill Hader, Mary Karr, Jeffrey Tambor, Kat Dennings, Jeff Tweedy, and Patrick Wilson.
Wow! Those are some big names!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Another great meeting! This one a little more informative than others, but that's okay. I think all the good teaching occurred because someone activated my mute button.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

KevinS wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:55 pm Another great meeting! This one a little more informative than others, but that's okay. I think all the good teaching occurred because someone activated my mute button.
Perish the thought, Kevin! Even though the evocative lyricism may at times become over tenuous, you nevertheless achieve an aesthetically integrated euphony.

This message is sponsored by Roget's Thesaurus.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: October 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm
KevinS wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:55 pm Another great meeting! This one a little more informative than others, but that's okay. I think all the good teaching occurred because someone activated my mute button.
Perish the thought, Kevin! Even though the evocative lyricism may at times become over tenuous, you nevertheless achieve an aesthetically integrated euphony.

This message is sponsored by Roget's Thesaurus.

Chris
That's phat!

This message brought to you by the earliest years of the 21st Century.
msfry

Post by msfry »

So now we have two Zoom threads to follow. Any chance they could be combined into one? Maybe allow the old post of the "When's the next meeting" variety to be culled out?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 5th, 2020, 7:00 am So now we have two Zoom threads to follow. Any chance they could be combined into one? Maybe allow the old post of the "When's the next meeting" variety to be culled out?
Yes. Later today I will finally get to either make a sticky where all Zoom stuff goes, or combine everything into one thread. It will all work out somehow.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Thanks to Michelle for the word count demonstration. I hadn't thought about dividing longer chapters and doing numbered lists. Great information.

Regarding problems on counting words when downloading pdfs from Archive (or wherever) Foxit Reader is a good, free pdf program that will count text. https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/ (So far as I can tell, the free Adobe pdf does not count text.) Download the pdf then open it in Foxit Reader choose "Select Text" and "Read Mode" for the view. (at the top part of the screen) Then highlight the page/pages you want. When you've got the pages you want highlighted right click on the screen and a small, white screen will pop up showing several options...copy, select all, etc...with word count at the bottom of the white screen. Left click on word count and it shows the number of words in the section that was highlighted.

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Well, if I'd read this section of the Foxit manual before my previous post, I would have found this regarding word count. :)

Word Count
Similar to Microsoft Word, Foxit PhantomPDF counts words, characters, pages, lines
and other information in all or part of your document. With no text selected, click View
Word Count, and you will see a pop-up Word Count box for the statistics of the entire
document. For a partial word count, just select the text you want to count, and then
click View Word Count; or right click the selected text and choose Word Count from
the context menu.