[COMPLETE] A Little Girl in Old New York by Amanda Minnie Douglas - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

Ritu wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 12:20 am
icequeen wrote: October 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm
Ritu wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:17 am

Alright, should I just send it here or on Uploader? I will probably upload just a tiny portion of the recording at this point.
Thanks,

To the uploader is fine, then paste the link into a post.
Hi,
I just uploaded Chapter 14. Here is the link:
Length: 29:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/littlegirlinoldnewyork_14_douglas_128kb.mp3

Please bear with it, its my first recording. Also, my Checker program is showing "Error" for some reason. I would appreciate a feedback.
Thanks,
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you! Don't worry, we all have been new at one point, and we have all been nervous about that first recording! I will be gentle and give you as much help as you need!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 14 needs a few fixes, but otherwise, great reading!

The volume is way too low, it is at 79.4 dB. We need it around 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. If you could amplify by 10 dB, then you would be right on target.

There are some other things that need to be addressed, but they are easy fixes.

10:43-:47 is a long silence that needs to be shortened.
13:33-:38, long silence.
19:03-:10, this is a sentence that is repeated after this time, along with a throat clearing, that needs to be cut out.
19:16-:21, another sentence that is repeated after that needs to be cut out.
26:33-:38, long silence.
27:27-:31, another sentence that is repeated after that needs to be cut out.

I think what is going on with Checker is that you have the Validation too high. At the top, click on Validation, make sure the diamond is next to Gentle, not Strict. If it is Strict, then click on Gentle. Also, in the Validation drop down, click on Choose Validation Methods, and make sure that ID Metadata does not have a check mark next to it. If it does, just unclick it and click Change.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

icequeen wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 8:31 pm Chapter 14 needs a few fixes, but otherwise, great reading!

The volume is way too low, it is at 79.4 dB. We need it around 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. If you could amplify by 10 dB, then you would be right on target.

19:03-:10, this is a sentence that is repeated after this time, along with a throat clearing, that needs to be cut out.

I think what is going on with Checker is that you have the Validation too high. At the top, click on Validation, make sure the diamond is next to Gentle, not Strict. If it is Strict, then click on Gentle. Also, in the Validation drop down, click on Choose Validation Methods, and make sure that ID Metadata does not have a check mark next to it. If it does, just unclick it and click Change.
Thank you so much. I have done it again. Here is the new link for Chapter 14:

Length: 26:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/littlegirlinoldnewyork_14_douglas_128kb.mp3

Again, I would really appreciate a feedback.
But, my Checker still does not work. How else can we check the volume?

Thanks,
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

Ritu wrote: October 5th, 2020, 5:58 pm
icequeen wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 8:31 pm Chapter 14 needs a few fixes, but otherwise, great reading!

Thank you so much. I have done it again. Here is the new link for Chapter 14:

Length: 26:33

Again, I would really appreciate a feedback.
But, my Checker still does not work. How else can we check the volume?
Lastly, if recording is okay, I would like to use AarCee for catalogue name
Thanks,
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you! Here is your catalog page! https://librivox.org/reader/14648 I went ahead and put your name in.

There is a different program that you can use to check your volume, called mp3gain Give that one a try and see if it works for you. The one thing you don't want to do is to change your volume with mp3gain, it doesn't work as well as Audacity for changing the volume.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 14 is PL OK!

You are doing a great job! Your reading pace is just right, not too fast or too slow. And the volume is at 90 dB, which is perfect. I think that the best advice that I can give you is to relax! I know that recording to begin with is a little scary, that you might be judged harshly. It does take time to get used to the whole process, but you did a great job on your first recording. Also, I know that you rerecorded your section, which is fine, but next time you just need to do the edits. When the DPL'er gives the places for you to edit, that is all you need to do, you don't have to go back and record the whole thing again. And it does make more work for the DPL'er, because that person has to listen to the whole file again, instead of just checking in the spots that needed to be fix.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

icequeen wrote: October 5th, 2020, 10:11 pm Chapter 14 is PL OK!

You are doing a great job! Your reading pace is just right, not too fast or too slow. And the volume is at 90 dB, which is perfect. I think that the best advice that I can give you is to relax! I know that recording to begin with is a little scary, that you might be judged harshly. It does take time to get used to the whole process, but you did a great job on your first recording. Also, I know that you rerecorded your section, which is fine, but next time you just need to do the edits. When the DPL'er gives the places for you to edit, that is all you need to do, you don't have to go back and record the whole thing again. And it does make more work for the DPL'er, because that person has to listen to the whole file again, instead of just checking in the spots that needed to be fix.
Alright noted! Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I will try to keep at it. I will try mp3gain on my next recording or if I find something else.
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

icequeen wrote: October 5th, 2020, 7:53 pm Thank you! Here is your catalog page! https://librivox.org/reader/14648 I went ahead and put your name in.

There is a different program that you can use to check your volume, called mp3gain Give that one a try and see if it works for you. The one thing you don't want to do is to change your volume with mp3gain, it doesn't work as well as Audacity for changing the volume.
Sounds good. Thanks again :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 5 is now open, any takers?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

icequeen wrote: October 20th, 2020, 3:47 pm Section 5 is now open, any takers?
Hi,
I could take Chapter 5.
Thanks,
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Ritu wrote: October 20th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Hi,
I could take Chapter 5.
Thanks,
Chapter 5 is yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

icequeen wrote: October 20th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Ritu wrote: October 20th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Hi,
I could take Chapter 5.
Thanks,
Chapter 5 is yours, thank you!
Thank you :-)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 10 is now open.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KatieChen

Post by KatieChen »

Ann,

Chapter 5 is completed. Recording time is 27 minutes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/LittleGirlFromOldNewYorkChapter5-KC.mp3

Katie