COMPLETE [Weekly Poetry] A Shadow by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

A Shadow by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ashadow-by-henry-wadsworth-longfellow/
This poem is taken from The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow by Longfellow ( David Lawrence)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This week's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
A Shadow by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal URL.]
Then read the poem:
I said unto myself, if I were dead,
What would befall these children? What would be
Their fate, who now are looking up to me
For help and furtherance? Their lives, I said,
Would be a volume wherein I have read
But the first chapters, and no longer see
To read the rest of their dear history,
So full of beauty and so full of dread.
Be comforted; the world is very old,
And generations pass, as they have passed,
A troop of shadows moving with the sun;
Thousands of times has the old tale been told;
The world belongs to those who come the last,
They will find hope and strength as we have done.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: shadow_longfellow_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3
(e.g. shadow_longfellow_klh_128kb.mp3 )

ID3 tags (Version 2.30): ID Tags are completed during Cataloging

*Readers, please check back in a day or so for any feedback regarding your reading.

*Best to copy the filename provided above into the LV Uploader, inserting your initials of course. :wink:

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalog page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, October 4, 2020 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin

(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
smike

Post by smike »

Hi there, experimenting with a new machine, and trying to get back to recording. Here's my take on it: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/shadow_longfellow_ccs_128kb._.mp3 length: 1:09
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello,
Here is my contribution: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/shadow_longfellow_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 01:01

Many thanks,
Chad
kathan54

Post by kathan54 »

Would like to read this weekly poem. New here, though. I gather this is all I need to do to sign up to read it?
Katie
smike

Post by smike »

Hi Katie, did you do yopur one minute test? That
s just to check that your settings are correct. Once you*ve done that, just go on and record, and then follow the instructions above. :thumbs:
Claudia

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

smike wrote: September 27th, 2020, 9:22 am Hi there, experimenting with a new machine, and trying to get back to recording. Here's my take on it: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/shadow_longfellow_ccs_128kb._.mp3 length: 1:09
Your new setup sounds good Claudia. *The file name is not quite right. (best to copy/paste from the opening post)
It was fun seeing the faces in the Zoom chat today. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Chad. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

smike

Post by smike »

Thanks, David. I quite enjoyed putting names to faces, too. :)
aradlaw wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:00 pm The file name is not quite right. (best to copy/paste from the opening post)
That's what I did-- what's wrong with it? Should I have copied the .mp3 bit, too? Doesn't that result in the file being named mp3.mp3? Can you correct that, or should I try again?
Claudia

Claire

Post by Claire »

pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi David -

My try for this week -

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/shadow_longfellow_ps_128kb.mp3
Track length: 1:03
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
kathan54

Post by kathan54 »

kathan54

Post by kathan54 »

smike wrote: September 27th, 2020, 10:39 am Hi Katie, did you do yopur one minute test? That
s just to check that your settings are correct. Once you*ve done that, just go on and record, and then follow the instructions above. :thumbs:
Thought it said that I could do my test using a short poem????
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

smike wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:01 pm Thanks, David. I quite enjoyed putting names to faces, too. :)
aradlaw wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:00 pm The file name is not quite right. (best to copy/paste from the opening post)
That's what I did-- what's wrong with it? Should I have copied the .mp3 bit, too? Doesn't that result in the file being named mp3.mp3? Can you correct that, or should I try again?
The end shows 128kb._.mp3 there is an extra dot and underscore before the .mp3, I can change that in the MW. :wink:
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Lee Ann and Phil. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Welcome to LibriVox Katie :D good first reading. JUst a couple of comments...
- your bitrate is 192 kbps, we need a bitrate of 128 kbps (this is set when you save or export your mp3 file)
- you have 6 seconds of opening silence, only 1/2 to 1 second is needed
- please provide the file duration when you post your upload link.

*Please let me know under what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too.
You can view your brand new LV Catalog page by clicking your forum name in the Magic Window.
David Lawrence