[Complete] A Battle for the Right by Nicholas Carter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

shikamaru wrote: September 26th, 2020, 5:27 am
Lynnet wrote: September 25th, 2020, 8:25 pm
shikamaru wrote: September 25th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Here you go! Had a lot of fun with this :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/battleforright_03_carter_128kb.mp3
@18:19.99
Thank you
Hi Lynette,
A correction in the magic window for the recording that I submitted. It's 18:19 not 18:99

Thanks and regards,
Nihal
:lol: 99 seconds doesn’t make much sense, does it?
shikamaru

Post by shikamaru »

Lynnet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 7:03 am
Lynnet wrote: September 25th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Thank you
Hi Lynette,
A correction in the magic window for the recording that I submitted. It's 18:19 not 18:99

Thanks and regards,
Nihal
I chuckled at first too. Then I realised that you mistook the milliseconds for seconds. I've decided to stop myself at the seconds unit next time I post something.
-Nihal Anabel
shikamaru

Post by shikamaru »

VocalPenguin wrote: September 26th, 2020, 6:13 am
shikamaru wrote: September 25th, 2020, 7:54 pm Here you go! Had a lot of fun with this :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/battleforright_03_carter_128kb.mp3
@18:19.99
Chapter 3 is PL OK!
Yaay!
-Nihal Anabel
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

shikamaru wrote: September 26th, 2020, 7:06 am
Lynnet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 7:03 am

Hi Lynette,

Thanks and regards,
Nihal
I chuckled at first too. Then I realised that you mistook the milliseconds for seconds. I've decided to stop myself at the seconds unit next time I post something.
I just don’t do well with numbers... I often forget between looking at a post and entering it in the MW... especially when there are “complications” like having to enter a password or my husband talking to me :roll:
Devin

Post by Devin »

I would love to contribute to this project. I have run into a problem, however. I currently live in Germany and Gutenburg.org is blocked for all IP addresses in Germany. (I'm sure it has to do with differing copyright laws.) Is the text available on a different site?
Thanks in advance!
"It's dangerous to go alone, take this with you."
Devin Kemp
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Devin wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:29 am I would love to contribute to this project. I have run into a problem, however. I currently live in Germany and Gutenburg.org is blocked for all IP addresses in Germany. (I'm sure it has to do with differing copyright laws.) Is the text available on a different site?
Thanks in advance!
I will ask our German admins.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynnet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 9:02 am
Devin wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:29 am I would love to contribute to this project. I have run into a problem, however. I currently live in Germany and Gutenburg.org is blocked for all IP addresses in Germany. (I'm sure it has to do with differing copyright laws.) Is the text available on a different site?
Thanks in advance!
It seems you are correct...

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180306/03423339363/project-gutenberg-blocks-access-germany-to-all-public-domain-books-because-local-copyright-claim-18-them.shtml

It has been suggested that I put the chapter you wish to claim in a google doc. Would that work for you? Which chapter are you interested in?

Note that Germany has a death+70 rule, so if you come across a work by an author who died less than 70 years ago, you still won’t be able to record. That doesn’t apply here.

And don’t think you’ll get round it by moving to Italy... the same applies there :lol: :lol:
Devin

Post by Devin »

Lynnet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Thanks in advance!

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180306/03423339363/project-gutenberg-blocks-access-germany-to-all-public-domain-books-because-local-copyright-claim-18-them.shtml

It has been suggested that I put the chapter you wish to claim in a google doc. Would that work for you? Which chapter are you interested in?

Note that Germany has a death+70 rule, so if you come across a work by an author who died less than 70 years ago, you still won’t be able to record. That doesn’t apply here.

And don’t think you’ll get round it by moving to Italy... the same applies there :lol: :lol:
A google doc will work just fine for me! I would be interested in The White Feather.
Thank you for working to accommodate me :) I really appreciate it.
Devin Kemp
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Devin wrote: September 27th, 2020, 3:16 am
Lynnet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:13 pm

A google doc will work just fine for me! I would be interested in The White Feather.
Thank you for working to accommodate me :) I really appreciate it.
Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nSKM1hOMuwuKYKyDbTQoPxZEnsk9HUsFAY7JmN1uMx4/edit?usp=sharing
Devin

Post by Devin »

Hello Lynnet,

Here is my completed chapter. I seem to be having issues with consistent Db level throughout. Please let me know if this sounds acceptable, especially during the dialogue sections. I am very new to recording for Librivox :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/battleforright_04_carter_128kb.mp3

The recording length is 17:59.
Thank you!
Devin Kemp
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Devin wrote: September 28th, 2020, 10:05 am Hello Lynnet,

Here is my completed chapter. I seem to be having issues with consistent Db level throughout. Please let me know if this sounds acceptable, especially during the dialogue sections. I am very new to recording for Librivox :oops:

Thank you!
Thank you
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

Thank you!
The performance on this one was great! There were so many different voices, but they were all unique and interesting! I have some technical notes though.

Your overall volume is a little high. We aim to keep files within the 86-92 dB range, and yours was 93.8 dB. Please lower the volume of the file slightly and then re-upload it.

As to your comment about inconsistent volumes, I agree that the volumes are somewhat inconsistent, with some "plosives" ('p' sounds and other such sounds) occasionally being louder than your microphone can handle. This isn't a huge deal, and as such this is not something that needs to be fixed for this recording, but it is something to keep in mind for the future. How far away are you from the microphone when you record? A lot of voice-recording microphones are designed for you to be half a metre or so away, so if you're very close that could be causing the volume differences.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

VocalPenguin wrote: September 28th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Thank you!
The performance on this one was great! There were so many different voices, but they were all unique and interesting! I have some technical notes though.

Your overall volume is a little high. We aim to keep files within the 86-92 dB range, and yours was 93.8 dB. Please lower the volume of the file slightly and then re-upload it.

As to your comment about inconsistent volumes, I agree that the volumes are somewhat inconsistent, with some "plosives" ('p' sounds and other such sounds) occasionally being louder than your microphone can handle. This isn't a huge deal, and as such this is not something that needs to be fixed for this recording, but it is something to keep in mind for the future. How far away are you from the microphone when you record? A lot of voice-recording microphones are designed for you to be half a metre or so away, so if you're very close that could be causing the volume differences.
I would add that it is a good idea to have your mic either slightly to the side or above your mouth level so you’re not breathing directly onto it. You can also get a “pop filter”... not sure of the cost as mine was a gift. A homemade version can be made with an embroidery hoop and pantyhose :mrgreen: You place it in front of your mic.
Another couple of tips: brush your teeth before recording; use chapstick; drink tea (no idea why tea rather than anything else, but that’s the word on the street :lol: )
Devin

Post by Devin »

Lynnet wrote: September 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm
VocalPenguin wrote: September 28th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Thank you!

I would add that it is a good idea to have your mic either slightly to the side or above your mouth level so you’re not breathing directly onto it. You can also get a “pop filter”... not sure of the cost as mine was a gift. A homemade version can be made with an embroidery hoop and pantyhose :mrgreen: You place it in front of your mic.
Another couple of tips: brush your teeth before recording; use chapstick; drink tea (no idea why tea rather than anything else, but that’s the word on the street :lol: )
Ok, I ran it through the compressor function in Audacity and I think that helped a lot. I also used the Checker app and it shows as "passed" this time. Thank you for all of the suggestions, I will definitely implement them for future recordings.
Just so I know for future reference, how does one check the dB of a recording, I feel rather foolish that I can't figure that out.
Again thanks so much, and I hope this one works better.

Devin Kemp
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

Devin wrote: September 29th, 2020, 6:27 am Ok, I ran it through the compressor function in Audacity and I think that helped a lot. I also used the Checker app and it shows as "passed" this time. Thank you for all of the suggestions, I will definitely implement them for future recordings.
Just so I know for future reference, how does one check the dB of a recording, I feel rather foolish that I can't figure that out.
Again thanks so much, and I hope this one works better.

The compressor did help a lot. Your volume is now quite consistent. Also, your volume is now 91.3 dB, which is within the normal range.

You can check the volume of your recording fairly easily with the Checker app. After your file has been analyzed, click on the file name, and there should be two tabs of information, "Validation" and "Information". In the Information tab, it shows Volume, among several other things, and this is the volume that the Checker uses to determine if your file is in the right range. This is probably the simplest way of doing things, since dBs can be inconsistent between tools depending on what exactly they're measuring and what value they use for 0 dB (for example, running the Analyze tools in Audacity shows your file as being -20.38 dB).

Everything sounds great, and chapter 4 is now PL OK! :thumbs: