[COMPLETE] Flowers of Freethought (Second Series) by G.W. Foote - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Colourbynumbers

Post by Colourbynumbers »

May I claim 47 Forgive and Forget?
It will be my first participation in a reading project.
I'm still waiting on an ok from the new and improved submission of my listening test, but I'm sure it will not be long in coming.
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Algy Pug wrote: September 25th, 2020, 7:11 pm Here is Section 21:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought2_21_foote_128kb.mp3
31:10

Cheers

Hi Algy,

Only one note, at the very beginning. The notes after the title marked with * must be read:

"Christianity and Slavery. No. 18 of Oxford House Papers.
By H. Henley Henson, B.A., Head of the Oxford House in
Bethnal Green. London: Rivingtons."

Please record this part, and add it at around 00:20, and post it again!

Cheers back,
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the absence, pretty busy days these days...

Let me play catch up here ;-)

Thank you all for your sections and our tireless Ana for PLing so quickly! As for the new claims:
shikamaru wrote: September 25th, 2020, 11:13 pm May I have section 52- Jesus at the Derby?
Done!
Colourbynumbers wrote: September 26th, 2020, 4:01 am May I claim 47 Forgive and Forget?
It will be my first participation in a reading project.
I'm still waiting on an ok from the new and improved submission of my listening test, but I'm sure it will not be long in coming.
I have just given you the OK, so you're good to go! I see that you are from Reading - well, I guess you have found the perfect hobby. :P

As for the PL notes below: Even though they are optional, I would like to hear back from the reader before setting this to PL OK. It's to make sure the version in the MW (and eventually, in the catalog) is one the reader is definitely happy with.
AnaNaumoska wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:58 am 54 is PL ok Tommy! :clap:
I have just one comment, and it is optional, at 7:14, "Revenons à nos moutons" is a French expression (I do speak French, that's why it caught my attention), and it is pronounced as "reu veu no(n) ah no moo to(n)". It means - let's get back to the subject.
I think that's it! Let me know if I have overlooked anything... :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

"I have just one comment, and it is optional, at 7:14, "Revenons à nos moutons" is a French expression (I do speak French, that's why it caught my attention), and it is pronounced as "reu veu no(n) ah no moo to(n)". It means - let's get back to the subject. "

Sigh . . . although my surname is French I struggle mightily trying to pronounce it. During my pre-reading I grimaced as I saw this phrase, looked it up on Google Translate, could not sufficiently understand her pronunciation to copy it, next went to Forvo and felt only a smidgen more comfortable with what I heard and wrote down what I felt was the pronunciation.

Help me understand your notation: the (n) means that the letter is silent, correct? To put it in my pitiful albeit sincere attempt to notate it in a manner useful to me it would come out something like this: Roo voo no ah' no moo to. Close?

If you can direct me to a capable website to help clutsy American monoglots it would be MOST appreciated.

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
WardenMajere

Post by WardenMajere »

Hello! I loved what I did on the first series and am excited to do more on this one!
I'd like to claim sections 6, 8, and 53!
:mrgreen: Comparison is the thief of joy because it fosters competition more than community. - Theodore Roosevelt :mrgreen:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

TomHersant wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:10 pm Sigh . . . although my surname is French I struggle mightily trying to pronounce it. [snip]

If you can direct me to a capable website to help clutsy American monoglots it would be MOST appreciated.
I can direct you to this recording Tom :wink:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/backontopic.mp3

It's a bit muffled, but I hope you understand. I read it in normal speed and slowed down word-by-word.
Hope this helps!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

WardenMajere wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:25 pm Hello! I loved what I did on the first series and am excited to do more on this one!
I'd like to claim sections 6, 8, and 53!
They are yours, thank you! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by mourningstar »

Hi! Could I claim a hold on section 50 (Atheism and the French Revolution) while I await a response for my 1 minute test?

Thx!
M.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I claim Section 18? (At least it discusses one good thing - money.)

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Availle wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:58 pm
TomHersant wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:10 pm Sigh . . . although my surname is French I struggle mightily trying to pronounce it. [snip]

I can direct you to this recording Tom :wink:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/backontopic.mp3

It's a bit muffled, but I hope you understand. I read it in normal speed and slowed down word-by-word.
Hope this helps!
TomHersant wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:10 pm "I have just one comment, and it is optional, at 7:14, "Revenons à nos moutons" is a French expression (I do speak French, that's why it caught my attention), and it is pronounced as "reu veu no(n) ah no moo to(n)". It means - let's get back to the subject. "

Sigh . . . although my surname is French I struggle mightily trying to pronounce it. During my pre-reading I grimaced as I saw this phrase, looked it up on Google Translate, could not sufficiently understand her pronunciation to copy it, next went to Forvo and felt only a smidgen more comfortable with what I heard and wrote down what I felt was the pronunciation.

Help me understand your notation: the (n) means that the letter is silent, correct? To put it in my pitiful albeit sincere attempt to notate it in a manner useful to me it would come out something like this: Roo voo no ah' no moo to. Close?

Tommy

Yes, the pronounciation in this recording sounds great, here's this too https://0.tqn.com/z/g/french/library/media/wavs/revenonsanosmoutons.wav

French can be a bit tricky! 8-)

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Algy Pug wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:59 pm Section 21 corrected and uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought2_21_foote_128kb.mp3
31:25

Cheers
All good Algy, thank you! Section 21 is now PL ok :clap:
Last edited by AnaNaumoska on September 27th, 2020, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

salus populi suprema lex
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

AnaNaumoska wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:33 am
All good Algy, thank you! Section 31 is now PL ok :clap:
Ah - but what about Section 21?
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Availle »

Don't be mean Algy - you know what she means. :evil:

You're in for section 18. I hope you'll be frugal and spend your money wisely.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mourningstar wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:28 pm Hi! Could I claim a hold on section 50 (Atheism and the French Revolution) while I await a response for my 1 minute test?
Hi there and welcome to LV and to this project! :D

I see Algy has jumped in and given you an OK on your test, so you're good to go!
Section 50 is yours, details about the how-to pertaining to this project are in the first post, ask if you have questions!

Also, when you hand in your section, let me know if you want a special catalog name. If you say your name in the recording like you did in the test, that's a good choice so people can find you in the catalog. But anything goes, really. We can also link to a private website if you have one.

I think that's it - again, ask if you have questions!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com