1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Hecate

Post by Hecate » September 19th, 2020, 4:13 am

Hi all,
This is my 1-minute test recording. Please check it. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Hecate.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 23rd, 2020, 5:13 am

Hello Hecate (what a bewitching name ;) ) and welcome to our forum

thank you for your test, your voice already sounds lovely and you read very clearly and at a good pace (not too slow, not too fast).

There are only two technical bits that need correcting. I don't know which audio program you are using (Audacity ?) so hopefully you know where to find the settings. If you use Audacity I can give you a step by step.

This is what you need to change:

> the sample rate needs to be 44,100 Hz (yours is set to 48,000)

> the volume is only 82 dB, this is below our accepted limits (86-92 dB). You need to amplify with +7 so you get to a good average of 89 dB.

This is all, the rest is fine. No need to re-record, simply correct these two settings and reupload and then post the link as reply here in this thread, then I can have another look.

Thank you

Sonia

Hecate

Post by Hecate » September 24th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hello Sonia,

Thanks for the review and the instructions to change the setting.
I didn't see the dB in Audacity, but I went ahead and amplify it.
Here is my updated recording, I hope it works and I can start the project! :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Hecate.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 24th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Hecate wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 7:58 am
I didn't see the dB in Audacity, but I went ahead and amplify it.
ah no, it doesn's seem to have worked because it's still only 83.6 dB. We still need +6 to get to a good average. Maybe you amplified in the wrong spot.

For Audacity you do it like this:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in your case now) in the first upper box (called: amplification dB) - do not change anything in the lower box !
> press ok

You can check your dB level with the Checker program, most of our prooflisteners will use this as well to check the technical settings. If you run your finished mp3 file through it, it will tell you how many dB you have.
So, if for example it tells you (in the Information tab), you are at 82 dB, it's too low, then go back to Audacity and amplify with +7 (calculated by average 89 minus the 82 that you had).
If on the other hand it tells you that you are at 94, it's too loud, then go to Audacity and amplify with -5 (calculate 94 minus desired average of 89). That way you will always stay in the accepted limits.
You can download it here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Could you please try this and repost the link one more time. I predict then all will be well and you can start the weekend with your first official recording :) The sample rate is ok now btw.

Sonia

Hecate

Post by Hecate » September 30th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Dear Sonia,

Thanks so much for the instructions.
I think it will work this time:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_hecate.mp3

Have a nice day :D

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 30th, 2020, 11:53 pm

:clap: excellent, now you managed to amplify correctly and your at at about 89.2 dB. Perfectly in the middle of the accepted range.

So yes, the test is officially OK now and you can go ahead and participate in any project on offer. Maybe we'll see each other again along the way.

have fun !

Sonia

Hecate

Post by Hecate » October 15th, 2020, 7:21 am

Thanks Sonia! :)

Hecate